View Full Version : Apollo choke?

July 31, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hey ya'll, I just bought my first shotgun today at a pawnshop. Its a Mossy 500 12 gauge, paid $185 for it. But before I left the guy running the place told me the gun can't fire slugs or buckshot, because it has something called an "Apollo Choke".

The end of the barrel has this thing that screws in and out, and can screw off to reveal the end of the muzzle with four notches cut into it. Is that what he's referring to? I'd like to atleast put 00 buckshot through it for home defense, so is there anyway to remove it; or would I be better off getting a new barrel?

If nothing else can somebody tell me what an Apollo choke is? I know what a choke is, and what it does, but Goggle can't find anything on Apollo chokes. =/


July 31, 2008, 03:46 PM
just get another barrel at approx 80 bucks you can swap it out and still use it for birds if ya want - there is alot available for the 500 as addons, so you didnt waste your money....

Dave McC
July 31, 2008, 04:21 PM
Sounds like a POLYchoke. Also called "Dial a Duck" by some.

Twisting it will alter the amount of constriction to tailor a pattern for a particular shot load, target and distance.

These days we all have choke tubes instead, but the Polychokes do work.

Do not shoot slugs through it while it's set on the tight end. Buck is fine.


July 31, 2008, 04:47 PM
Poly-choke? I'll look that up, thanks ya'll. If its fine to shoot buckshot through, that's good enough for me. I'll get a barrel for slugs later on.

Thanks again. :cool: