View Full Version : Pin Wrench

Roadapple Red
July 4, 2008, 09:20 PM
I am searching for a special tool that is used to remove the "plate" that holds the firing pin in place in side by side and O/U shotguns. I would call it a pin wrench but I am not certain that is the correct description. I own a Beretta 682 Gold that has a "plate" that holds the firing pin in place. The firing pin protrudes from the center of this plate. There are three holes around this center hole that appear to accept a pin wrench to remove the plate in order to access the firing pin to replace the firing pin if it breaks or the spring breaks. My BT99 also has such a plate, again with three holes around the center firing pin hole.

Is this tool called a pin wrench?
Does this tool have three pins that align with the holes in the plate?
Where can a person purchase such a tool?
Thanks much for help

July 5, 2008, 02:21 PM
Generally, gunsmiths make them as needed.



July 5, 2008, 05:56 PM
They are called spanner wrenches, and you can buy them or make them.

James K
July 5, 2008, 08:38 PM
They actually are called firing pin bushing tools, and Brownells has them in two and three pin types. However, as wjkuleck says, most gunsmiths either make one as needed or make one that will be universal and can be used for other purposes, like the crossbolt nut on Mauser rifle stocks. I made one that was round, about 3/4 inch in diameter with holes drilled in two lines crossing each other, as close together as I could drill them. That allowed about any spacing, and allowed use of large pins (size of hole) or turned down ones of about any smaller diameter. The "wrench" part was just a hole drilled through crossways for a cross handle, like a nipple wrench.

BTW, some of those bushing holes are spaced so that a nipple wrench can be modified.


Roadapple Red
July 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
Thankyou fellas for the feedback. I think I will try Jim's suggestion and make one myself.