PDA

View Full Version : .44 mag mountain gun performance center action job or not??? Help needed

Master Blaster
May 31, 2008, 07:23 AM
Hi All, I have been going through some maintenance on my wheel guns lately which consists of removing the sideplate, cleaning, lubing and lock flag removal in the case that the gun has the lock. Only a very few of my smith revolvers have the dreaded lock. I did this to my much carried 642. Last night I did it to my circa 2004 mountain gun in .44 mag.

Now I bought this gun used a couple years ago. The shop was liquidating a gentlemans collection that included this gun and a .45 colt mountain gun. My gun was claimed to have had a S&W performance center action job. In any event it had the best trigger pull I have ever felt on a smith N-frame.

The gun had one problem that allowed me to get it at an obscenely low price despite being in unfired condition. The lock would engage when you turned the key to lock, but the flag would not drop when the key was turned to unlock, you had to push it down with your thumb. I got $100 off the price of this consignment gun when I discovered the flaw in the shop, so the owner wouldnt have to deal with sending it to S&W.

Now I have fired a couple thousand rounds on the range about half were target and half were full powered loads without the lock self engaging. S&W did send me a shipping label when I called them the day I bought the gun. I never did send it in cause they would only fix the lock not remove it.

The amazing DA trigger was the main reason I didnt send it.

So last night I removed the side plate, took out the hammer and removed the lock flag.

The gun has a reduced mainspring just like the one in the Brownells kit, it also has a reduced rebound slide spring. The other thing I discovered is that there were very thin stainless steel shims on both sides of the hammer, they look like a paper thin washer, and on both sides of the trigger as well (under and over. I assume they are to reduce any play and contribute to the amazing trigger and 100% ignition in DA even with CCI primers.

I'm pretty sure the reduced springs are not something the performance center would do. It does seem whoever did the action job knew what they were doing.

Is this typical for a professional action job??

Is this something the performance center would do???

Are the shims a necessary part of the action job?

I would like to duplicate the trigger pull on a couple of my other N-frames.

Thanks

moose fat
June 1, 2008, 09:57 PM
Do not know but try here;

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/

20nickels
June 5, 2008, 09:45 PM
I have never heard of shims being used for action work except whenthere is excessive "tarcking" or side to side play. This is wasted motion and robs from perfection. An interesting concept though. My interest is peaked.

20nickels
June 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
bumpety bump...