View Full Version : USP grip modification

May 19, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hey all-I was browsing through some forums looking for neat grip mods, and I found one Glock owner who had done this to his grip. He slowly heated up h is grip with a candle, then rolled/pressed the backstrap into the shape you see in the thread. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784862
Now I was wondering if the same could be applied to a USP. I really dig my USP9, but I also find that I have some difficulty reaching the trigger properly because of my short fingers. On the USP45, it seems that it has a shorter trigger reach, I have no problem with that. I was wondering if I could use the technique he used to shorten the trigger reach a bit by "smooshing" the area right behind the trigger on the backstrap, right under the tang. The only problem is that I don't know if the hammer strut or anything else in that area will be affected by it-I don't know how close it is to the backstrap. I'm not going to be drastically altering the frame, just by a few millimeters to get that little extra reach. Since I am assuming the frame material for the Glock and the USP is very similar, can anyone tell me if this could work? Thanks.

May 19, 2008, 10:46 PM
This is about as risky as it gets.
Heat is hard to control and if you botch it, you've just ruined an expensive gun.

If you want the frame modified, send it to one of the custom shops that has special equipment for modifying polymer frames.
They can do it without ruining the frame.

Do it yourself, and the chances are you'll destroy it.

May 19, 2008, 11:05 PM
Do you know of any shops that could do it? I've tried looking for well-known custom shops that do polymer work, but not a single one comes to mind that modifies USP's in this manner. David Bowie comes to mind, but d you have any other recommendations?

May 20, 2008, 05:56 PM
None off hand.
I'd ask on the Glock forum, since there are several companies that do Glock frame alterations, and might do H&K.