View Full Version : 455 colt rcmp revolver

Rob O'Neill
February 23, 2008, 01:35 AM

Im attaching photos of a 455 colt new service RCMP revolver. This gun was purchased through the original owner...a retired RCMP officer by my father who recently passed away. I am left with his pistol collection. Normally this would be a wonderful thing as I'm a avid long gun collector however because I'm not a registered hand gun licensee.... I have to sell these guns as canadian states that if I'm not a registered hand gun owner prior to 1988, I have to relingish my fathers gun to someone else.......This sucks...however now I'm forced into selling this gun along with 4 others. (browning hipower / 32cal. 1913 pocket auto / 32/22 kit /python)

This gun has two flaws.......It shows a little scuffing on the barrel blueing from in & out of the holster and a chip out of the grip (left side).

Is there any one out there that can tell me the approx. value of this firearm. I also have 400 rounds of 455 Dominion Mark1 ammunition and 455 cartridge flares.

Thank-you ......... Robhttp://455colt.blogspot.com/http://455colt.blogspot.com/

February 23, 2008, 05:21 AM
If these were your father's guns, you should be eligible for a 12(-6, -7, ?) exemption, as long as they were built before 1945. The New Service definitely falls into that category, and it looks to me like it has a 5" barrel, so it would be considered "restricted" and not "prohibited" to begin with, anyway. There's likewise no reason for you to have to sell the Hi-Power, as it would also be considered "restricted". Where problems start to occur is when you have a post-1945 handgun in .25 or .32, or the barrel is shorter than 106mm, and they had such an outcry from people that would have had their father's/grandfather's war trophies confiscated that they wrote in an exemption for pre-1945 guns that were gained through inheritance.

T. O'Heir
February 26, 2008, 07:23 PM
"...if I'm not a registered hand gun owner prior to 1988..." Um, no it doesn't. however, it's the executor of the Estate that has to deal with them. You can keep them once you get the RPAL, if your da had them registered prior to 1 Dec., 1998. You will not be able to acquire more prohibited handguns though.
Go here. http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/will_e.asp
And come by here. http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/

Snow Dog
February 27, 2008, 04:25 PM
Like the guys have said, get your RPAL and keep them! You should also be able to keep the prohib pistols if they meet the critera spelled out on the CFC site. Even if you are not particularly interested in pistol shooting you should keep them on principal - it'll piss off a Liberal! ;) Drop by and visit CGN as well - lots of good folks there that will help you out.

P.S. - Sorry about your father's passing.