View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Chemical Co.

February 5, 2008, 09:25 PM
If this doesn't belong here sorry.

Has anyone heard of them? I seen one of their Tear Gas Grenades marked CN131. Anyways on the bottom left of the label it reads Form 4CN does this mean it needs to be on a form 4?


C Philip
February 5, 2008, 10:00 PM
If you mean grenade as in a projectile used in a grenade launcher, then as far as I know you don't need anything special to purchase it. You can find 37mm tear gas grenades pretty easily. Here's one I found with a quick search: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91316184

Now if you mean something like in the form of a hand grenade, then I don't know.

February 6, 2008, 02:19 AM
I think any form of grenade is treated like a destructive device, even tear gas. Does that help?

By the way, that CN grenade is standard tear gas. When activated it can produce up to something like 25,000 cubic feet of smoke. Do not let it go off indoors - not good for cats.

February 6, 2008, 03:25 AM
So if it is in deed treated like a destructive device they require a stamp?

February 6, 2008, 08:45 AM
Smith & Wesson produced or branded MACE products (CN based) under that company name. This line was spun to another company around 20 years ago, Defense Technology or something similar. Their CN grenade launchers used to be built on their revolver N-frame. I still have one of their handbooks around somewhere. Their products were not NFA items.

February 6, 2008, 11:40 AM
I think any form of grenade is treated like a destructive device, even tear gas. Does that help?

Keeping in mind that IANAL, as I remember destructive devices require a certain amount of explosive to be considered DDs.
So smoke grenades and tear gas grenades don't require stamps or anything, unless there's a state or local law against them.

February 6, 2008, 09:09 PM
I can't find anything with that nomenclature in the S&W Police Chemical Training Manual I have. All the grenades have numbers either single or double digit and usually addressed Smith & Wesson Chemical Co., Inc. Rock Creek, Ohio 44084. CN131 sounds like a payload type and weight in grams.

February 6, 2008, 09:10 PM
Here is the deal, after cleaning up some years after my Grandfather passed away my brother found one of the Tear Gas Grenades dated Feb 72 or 76 and I would like to keep it as a keepsake; but first and foremost I want to make sure I am breaking no laws. So what should I do to find out the exact laws concerning it. I have e-mailed the ATF and have gotten no responses.


February 7, 2008, 03:42 AM
"Tear Gas Grenade" is not technically a very good description of what you might possess.... although it is a common term... what you probably have is a tear gas cannister... ie like a smoke grenade (another poor term) that you throw on the ground and smoke releases from it... these are legal.... however if it is the type that is shot from a launcher then it is DD and is contraband since it is surely not registered under the NFA at this time...

February 7, 2008, 10:26 AM
Do you have a cite for that?

February 7, 2008, 05:17 PM
It says Grenade



If this is illegal ATF agents that are looking please let me know so I can dispose of it, just don't come kick down my door. Thanks

February 7, 2008, 06:23 PM
S&W did call many types, which are for throwing, as grenades though they are merely smoke generating devices with a burning compound and CN or CS mixed in. Launcher fired tear gas devices are called "projectiles" by S&W, e.g., "No. 12 Tru-Flite Penetrating Projectile." This particular item predates my catalog by a decade and may have been discontinued by then. My only concern is the "instantaneous discharge." Those in this catalog are either "continuous discharge" or "blast dispersion." My concern is that they changed the terminology to blast dispersion to make it plain that there is a blast charge and yours is of that type. I don't know for sure.

February 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the info. So the legality of me owning it is?

February 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
Just don't have enough information to know if it has a blast charge. I suspect it does not and you're fine, but I can't be sure without knowing more.

February 7, 2008, 06:55 PM
I tried to get a picture but it would not read the writing, but it reads

FUZE M201 A1
SWP 1-3


February 8, 2008, 06:20 AM
Sounds like just a burning compound to disperse the CN. I think you're fine.

February 8, 2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the info!