View Full Version : full auto shotguns

December 28, 2007, 12:33 AM
Was browsing around and came across Tromix's website. What's the deal with full auto shotguns? What are the restrictions/procedures for owning a full auto shotgun?

December 28, 2007, 01:17 AM
A full auto shotgun would be regulated just as any other full auto firearm - under the National Firearms Act as a machinegun. If you want one you need to find one that was made and registered with the BATFE prior to May 19, 1986 and have it transfered to a class 3 dealer in your state (assuming its legal to own a machinegun in your state). Once its in your dealers possession you'll have to complete two copies of a BATFE form 4, two FBI fingerprint cards, a US citizenship certification form, and a check to the Treasury for the $200 transfer tax. The form 4 will require you to get a signature from your sheriff, chief of police or DA and they can deny you for any reason or no reason whatsoever. There are legal ways around that, however, it can get a little more expensive and complicated. Once all that paperwork and the check gets to BATFE, it'll take about 4-6 weeks until your dealer will recieve one copy of the form 4 you sent them, approved with the $200 tax stamp affixed. At that point, and not before you get the form 4 back, you can go pick up your MG.

The only full auto shotgun I know of that might have been converted and registered as a full auto in time (a "transferable" machinegun) might be the USAS-12. I haven't seen one for sale in a long time, but I think they'd probably be in the $5k-7k price range. You could possibly get a transferable AK47 receiver and have Tromix do a conversion to 12 ga. on that but a transferable AK47 host would currently run you somewhere in the $15k range.

chris in va
December 28, 2007, 03:30 PM
You could save yourself tons of $$$ by getting a Saiga 12 and bump firing the sucker whenever you feel the need to blow a few shells downrange.