PDA

View Full Version : Trade my Glock for an M&P for CCW?

cgbills
November 15, 2007, 03:51 AM
Now I do not want this to turn into a caliber war or a Glock vs S&W war. I currently have a Glock 32 in 357. sig. I love Glock, I love the penetration of the 357 sig round, the reliable feeding of the round, and how flat shooting it is, I don’t love the price. Recently though the S&W M&P has caught my eye. The Glock has always felt good in my hand but somehow the M&P feels a little better. I originally wanted a Glock in .45 but the .45 Glocks were too big for my hand. This is not the case with the M&P .45, it feels good. But I worry about trading in the flat shooting of my .357. Also I like the pronounced trigger reset on the Glocks, the M&Ps there is not so much of one. Also I am reluctant because I like the fact that my Glock is a Glock and has years of testing and reliability behind it, have they done extreme drop tests with M&Ps? See also I learned how to shoot on Glocks and some other guns I have tried, Sigs XDs, did not feel the same or shoot as well. I think a lot of it is I kind of see the M&P as feeling a little better and my chance to get a .45 that fits. I would like to know the opinions/reasons of those who have made the Glock to M&P, or the opinions of those who seriously thought about it but didn’t. Again I am not trying to start a brand/caliber war.

sholling
November 15, 2007, 04:17 AM
Weapon selection is a very personal thing. I've been a 1911 guy forever and I just bought M&P45. If you haven't handled one much I can tell you that there is a night and day difference between the trigger on the M&P9 or M&P40 and the trigger on the M&P45. The 9 & 40 break at between 6 and 7lbs right out of the box and then smooth down by about a pound with wear. The 45 is heavier but is supposed to smooth out to around 6-7lbs after a couple of hundred rounds. The trigger weight isn't as bad as it sounds. It's a sweet shooter and very comfortable in the hand. I knew that the trigger would be heavy going in but the ergonomics were worth it to me. I've planned all along to send it to a smith (http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P1.htm) that specializes in bringing the trigger down to a crisp 4.5lbs ($65). I haven't sent it yet but hopefully this month.

I'm impressed enough with my M&P45 that I ordered a compact M&P9c the day I picked up my 45. I'll be buying a full sized 9mm next, and a compact 45 when they start shipping next year

cz223
November 15, 2007, 08:40 AM
As the last poster said, weapons choice is a very personal choice indeed. I am a big fan of Glock pistols, I have four, two model 23s (40S&W), one model 32 (357 Sig) and a model 21 (45ACP). I am also a big fan of the 357 sig. That said, I, like you, have recently been lured to the S&W M&P line of pistols. If I had the money I would probably get one right now. As you said, it would be good to not have this turn into a caliber/weapon war but I do need to address both issues point by point. As for the choice between the 357 Sig and the 45 ACP I think you are probably equally as well armed with either. The 357 Sig in the model 32 package really is a whole lot of firepower and very conceallable. I have not handled the M&P 45 and don't know its capacity but, I would suspect that it holds less than 14 rounds, like your model 32. I am not the spray and pray type but this would lead me to give the nod to the Glock. On the other hand, I don't think that the flat shooting abilities of the 357 Sig should be much of a consideration for SD purposes.

While I really like the look and the feel of the S&W M&P line of pistols I do not think that you should trade a gun that you apparently like very much and is quite capable of doing the job that you want it for. Trading or selling a gun that I really liked has always lead to regret in my experience.:( I also understand the concept of not being made of money and the need to practice with your carry weapon. Since the 357 Sig round is so pricey you may want to consider reloading for it. The initial investment in equipment can be a little pricey but the 357 sig is really no more expensive to reload for than the 9mm once you have the cases. The other option that you might want to consider is getting a second barrel for your model 32 in 40 S&W or even one in 9mm for practice. If you get a Glock barrel in 40 S&W, it will run you around $130 and you can buy ammo for $20 per hundred at Wally World. You also won't have the added expense of buying 9mm mags as your 357 sig mags will work just fine. It should also be just as reliable with the 40 as the 357 Sig since you have essentially converted it to a model 23. The 9mm is another story. I think that you will have to buy an aftermarket barrel for around the same money as the Glock but, in addition you wil also have to buy a couple 9mm mags. I would only recomend this for practice, not for carry. Consider this, if you were to trade your Glock in for the Smith the trade difference would probably be more than the cost of the barrel. If you get the barrel and decided to trade or sell at a later date, having the extra barrel will be a big selling point.:)

If it were me I would get the Glock Barrel in 40 S&W despite the ammo cost being more than the 9mm. The 40 is also a very capable round, one of the most popular for law enforcement it seems. You can use the 40 barrel for practice and switch to the 357 Sig for carry, at SD distances the POI should not be much different at all. The added benefit would be that in SHTF situation, like Katrina, you would have the ability to use readily available ammo in the 40 S&W. You can buy this stuff anywhere including Wal Mart. I am not suggesting the 40 over the 45 but rather as an alternative that might give you more options. By the way, 45 ammo is more expensive than 40 by about $5/hundred for practice type ammo. I hope this helps, at least it does offer a couple of options you may not have considered.

SW40F
November 15, 2007, 09:16 AM
Keep the Glock.

Add the M&P to your collection.

Shoot and carry whatever you like on a given day.

Alleykat
November 15, 2007, 09:48 AM
Sounds like you're asking advice from total strangers on a question to which you already have the answer. ;)

Kilgor
November 15, 2007, 09:54 AM
Buy a 9mm barrel for your Glock 32 for cheap practice ammo. :D

$98.48

http://www.topglock.com/catalog/barrels_stormlake.htm

I would never get rid of a Glock and I don't care for the cheap appearance of the M&P series handguns.

awpk03s
November 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
Get a Glock 36 in 45ACP.

quickcanary
November 15, 2007, 06:56 PM
Keep the Glock.

Add the M&P to your collection.

Shoot and carry whatever you like on a given day.

+1.

I wouldn't trade in a perfectly-functioning Glock in a caliber that you really like. Save up until you don't have to trade in the Glock -- I think you'll be happier in the end. You'll likely develop a preference for one of them and can always sell off the other if you ever get into a pinch. But having two guns is generally better than having just one. I like options. :)

Twisted99
November 15, 2007, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't trade in a perfectly-functioning Glock in a caliber that you really like. Save up until you don't have to trade in the Glock -- I think you'll be happier in the end. You'll likely develop a preference for one of them and can always sell off the other if you ever get into a pinch. But having two guns is generally better than having just one. I like options.

BEST reply I've read yet! On ANY forum.