PDA

View Full Version : Rugers "Loose"?

baugh009
November 14, 2007, 09:32 PM
I am new to this thread, and in the market for a new .45 automatic. My budget does not reach the Sig and Springfield level.

When I went into my local gun shop I first look at a Ruger KP 345. The sales guy (whom I think knowledgeable and honest), pointed me to a Smith "M&P" which was in the same price bracket, saying that I considered the Ruger models (in this price bracket), not made to close tolerances.

If any of you have had experience with both weapons (or, at least a Ruger in the same price range and the M&P), I would very much appreciate your input on this matter.

Thanks.

GoGo
November 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
I have a discontinued Ruger P97dc .45. When I engage the slide and its ready for fire , its rattley. But still pretty accurate and a workhorse.

When the slide and trigger is not engaged its not rattely. :confused:

Actually thats what is keeping me from buying another Ruger semi auto.

I have no problems with the revolvers, sweet.:D

I have 2 Sigmas and the M&P seems overpriced to me. My cheap Sigmas have been workhorses.

mbott
November 14, 2007, 10:37 PM
As one who has owned 2 P95s, 2 P97s and 1 P345, "loose" is not anything I've ever used to describe any on my Rugers.

--
Mike

bigghoss
November 14, 2007, 10:48 PM
I own a 345 and have shot a M&P .40. I like my 345 alot but if you aren't partial to either I'd go for the M&P. customizeable grips and holds 2 more rounds.

however I own the 345 and a p95 and they are definatly quality firearms.

GoGo
November 15, 2007, 01:03 AM
My p97DC isn't loose, just rattles when locked and loaded. It doesn't rattle when its not "ready for fire".
Its trustworthy and dependable, but none of my other pistols rattle like it, Springfield, S&W, Beretta.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the p97Dc, its a workhorse and will feed almost anything. I'll never get rid of it. I just think I'll stick to Ruger for their revolvers.

Now my GP 100 revolver is another story. My favorite handgun I own, and nothing better in its class IMO.

obxned
November 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
I own a P345, and know other owners of this pistol. All of us find them to be 100% reliable with any ammo and VERY accurate. What are these loose tolerencs that guy was talking about?

SquattingDog
November 15, 2007, 03:52 PM
The Ruger P345 is an excellent bang for your buck! My Step-Brother uses one as a night stand gun.

Donovan655
November 16, 2007, 08:43 PM
yep. my p94 rattles like a snake but it fires everytime.

curmudgeon1
November 16, 2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah, my P95 rattles a little and is a little fat for ccw, but it's lightweight, fun to practice with and completely reliable at the range. Another plus at the range, it holds 16 rounds. I've got about 1,000 rds. thru it.

katana8869
November 17, 2007, 10:49 AM
I own a P345, and know other owners of this pistol. All of us find them to be 100% reliable with any ammo and VERY accurate. What are these loose tolerencs that guy was talking about?

+1. I'd like to know that too. The P-series Rugers are very well built and well put together guns. As for the P345, it is a very accurate shooter. I bought mine used for $350 and it has now become my first choice as a CCW and nightstand gun. I changed the stock hammer spring out for a 19# spring from Wolff springs in order to lighten up the DA pull and "cleaned" the rear sight. The achilles heel of the P345, is that dry firing it without an unloaded magazine in the gun can damage the magazine disconnect which can result in the gun not firing. The simple remedy is to remove the disconnect. (The parts reside under the rear sight, which is pushed to the side and the disconnect is simply lifted out). Anyone doing this should save the parts and reinstall them before selling or trading the gun to someone else due to liability concerns.

I have found few pistols that I like as much as I like this one. I carry it everyday IWB in a Bianchi Professional holster. The P345 has almost the same dimensions as my Commander sized 1911 and it is just as thin and flat. I find it extremely comfortable even after carrying it all day.

Just for comparison, I have a few 1911's, a Glock 30, a Taurus PT145, and a XD45 Compact (which was my former EDC) all of which are great guns, but the Ruger has the best all around features for my needs.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/katana8869/P345.jpg

jakeswensonmt
November 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Rugers are not loose where it counts, my Rugers are all more accurate than I am.

And a little looseness is desirable if you want a reliable weapon. The only autopistol that I ever handled that was truly zero-looseness was a Kimber, and I have to wonder how that thing would function as it gets dirty.