PDA

View Full Version : Desert Warrior

BikerRN
November 10, 2007, 08:08 PM
OK Gang, give me the good, bad and the ugly about the Kimber Desert Warrior. I'm seriously looking at one.

I've had 1911's through the years, but I'm more of a revolver guy. At work I carry the issued "bottomfeeder" and own a couple of "bottomfeeders" but really prefer the round cylinder things. :D

I'm thinking of using this as a "Tacticool" Pistol at the range and when I'm out plinking in the desert or 4x4'ing just for looks. I will of course have a round gun on me as well.

Biker

DonR101395
November 10, 2007, 09:03 PM
After shooting one a few weeks ago side by side a SA Operator. I prefered the Operator; other than the name:barf:
The SA had a better trigger and in my opinion was fit together a little better. Accuracy on both was pretty equal.

Sturmgewehre
November 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
Another vote for Springfield TRP or Operator. The quality at Kimber is hit or miss.

StrawDog
November 11, 2007, 12:15 AM
+1 on the kimber being hit or miss

I own a ss target that shoots well but loose....

Other reviews are mixed, some good some bad. A lot of problems with clips

Rob96
November 11, 2007, 04:51 AM
Go with a Springfield Operator. Several 1911'smiths who also happen to be SWAT team members , Larry Vickers and others have stated this pistol is not good to go out of the box. I have read several problems as far sa reliability with this gun. I also have experience with 3 different Kimbers, all of which suffered reliability problems.

The Body Bagger
November 11, 2007, 05:16 AM
A recent officer in the last academy had multiple FTF's and FTE's even after shooting 1K rnds at the end of the week. As others have said, I would go with an Operator.

Red Pepper
November 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
I would read this on the 10-8 forum before purchasing a Desert Warrior:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=56857&an=0&page=0#56857

HorseSoldier
November 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
I own one, and apparently got the only good one Kimber ever made :rolleyes:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j132/jboschma/DesertWarriornewgrips1.jpg

Mine has run with zero issues at all specific to the gun. Had a bad CMC magazine that does not run right in it or in the Colt and Springfield pistols I've tried it in as well. Otherwise, solid performer. Great trigger out of the box, extremely reliable (and no 500 round break in period or whatever), and extremely good accuracy. Eats FMJ and JHP without issues. No downside I can see except the price tag.

Ala Dan
November 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
Bad: Its a Kimber, and not the quality that everyone expects from a firearm
costing over $1-K~! :eek: I would much prefer the Springfield Operator. ;)

Rob96
November 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
I own one, and apparently got the only good one Kimber ever made

Consider yourself lucky. I truly believe Kimber chooses to spend more on marketing than QC.

Jart
November 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking of using this as a "Tacticool" Pistol at the range and when I'm out plinking in the desert or 4x4'ing just for looks.

Given that specific criteria, the Desert Warrior may prove a good choice. I believe it's both full-sized and is unburdened by type II parts. After my issues with type II parts, shattering safeties and factory attitude, I won't own a Kimber for use as a weapon. Range toys and plinkers are another matter. They seem to offer a lot of bling for not a lot of money. Product failure is rarely more than an inconvenience under the circumstances you describe.

BikerRN
November 11, 2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the info gang. :)

If anyone else wants to add their $0.02, please feel free.

Biker

Billy Sparks
November 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
I had one and it was the only Kimber I had that feed and ejected 100% from day one. Of course mine did not have that funky Schwartz[sp] trigger safety.

HorseSoldier
November 12, 2007, 10:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, neither the Warrior or the Desert Warrior have the Schwartz safety except for occasional production runs done specifically for sales outside the United States (i.e. California :rolleyes:).

Springfield 1911s are about the best pistols made in Brazil these days, so I wouldn't rule them out ;)

sholling
November 12, 2007, 11:55 PM
The Kimber Warriors that I've molested in the store had much better triggers than any Springer that I've played with - including the TRP. And I own both Springer and Kimber and I'm a fan of both. I just don't like the pimp looks of Warrior. My next 1911 will be a S&W SW1911, or the pricey PC1911 if I ever win the lottery. :D

odsixer
November 13, 2007, 12:08 AM
I have an eclipse and it's great, not as tacticool but a very pretty weapon