PDA

View Full Version : i'm ready for a 9mm

ThatGunGuy
November 6, 2007, 10:52 AM
i want a 9mm. i can't decide on sub-compact or full size. also, i have alot of guns in mind, just can't decide. give me some options of different guns and sizes. anything would help. thanks.

David the Gnome
November 6, 2007, 10:55 AM
Before we can offer suggestions we need to know how this gun is going to be used. Will it be for concealed carry? Home defense? Range shooting? etc~

armoredman
November 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
Find a range that rents, and try a few out. i agree that unless you have some sort of specific use planned, you may not know where to begin. Do you have a concealed weapons permit, or will you not carrying this, concealed or open? Is this going to sit in a drawer, safe, or rack for most of it's life, or will it betothe range every other week? Do you like thick or thin grips, (double stack versus single stack?), single action, double action, DA/SA, safe action, or Tri-Action, for the Daewoo fans. Stainless, matte, or finish doesn't matter?
You ideal sidearm could be a CZ-PO1, or a 1911 in 9mm, or Walther P5. See what fits - if it feels like a brick when you pick it up, it will very lifely never feel right. If it feels like an extension of your arm, explore further.

DWARREN123
November 6, 2007, 12:01 PM
I have a CZ 75 Compact satin nickle in 9mm, not really a compact more of a semi compact in my opinion. I like this hand gun a whole lot. It has been accurate, reliable and fits/feels very good to me.

ThatGunGuy
November 6, 2007, 01:13 PM
yes i have a carry permit, so i'll probably use it for ccw. it will get alot of range time. finish doesn't really matter, nor does single/double stack.

18DAI
November 6, 2007, 01:30 PM
Try a S&W 3913. I have an early production model, with flash chromed trigger and hammer.

It's a stainless slide, aluminum frame, single stack, TDA pistol. Light weight, slim/flat, reliable and accurate. Mine is my most carried pistol, both on and off duty. Good luck. Regards 18DAI.

dead-eye-ked
November 6, 2007, 01:45 PM
Take a look at a Sig P226 it should serve you well. Or P229 if the P226 feels to big.

stokesj19
November 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
Well ofcourse everyone here is going to say glock, and because they are great guns. I think my next 9 is going to be the sig p229. I have a glock and a taurus 24/7 pro and love them both. Find one that is going to fit you best, and is in your price range and roll with it.

Harry Callahan
November 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
Why mess around? Get a Browning Hi Power. Doesn't get any better.

Demal
November 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
Brand new Ruger SR9. Great reviews.:)

Silvanus
November 6, 2007, 03:59 PM
Get a Glock:D 17, 19, or/and 26. The are very accurate. They will always work under any conditions and they are light and (depending on which model you get) easy to conceal.

Rasputin
November 6, 2007, 04:24 PM
Anything From The List Below Will Do (Not In Any Particular Order), For Carry Go With There Compact or Sub-Compact.

Glock 17/19/26
Springfield XD-9/EMP
Smith&Wesson M&P
Heckler&Koch USP/P2000/P2000SK/P30
Walther P99AS/PPS
Beretta PX4, 92FS (<-----The 92FS May be A Bit Heavy Compared To The Polymers Listed Above, And Its A Full-Size Weapon)
SigSauer P226/P229/P239 (These Won't Be As Light As Polymer Weapons, But They Are Top Of The Line)

Ala Dan
November 6, 2007, 04:38 PM
S&W model 39-2~! ;) :D

allenomics
November 6, 2007, 04:43 PM
I think a good compromise is the Glock 19; excellent range/carry pistol.

BCE_.357
November 6, 2007, 05:09 PM
second to Silvanus. Get a Glock. I like the Compact frame better than the sub-compact.

I would recommend going up to the G23 though. But that is just because I am not a fan of the 9mm round. I wouldn't trust my life to it.

.40 and up for self defense.

hot sauce
November 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
Glock makes great 9mm's. I have a 17 and love it. Some other good choices are a S&W 5906, Beretta 92, and HK. I'm waiting for Beretta's PX4 compact to come out and that will probably be my new CCW. Cant beat 13+1 in a gun that size IMO.

robctwo
November 6, 2007, 05:24 PM
I own a CZ75BD, CZP-01, BHP, Glock 17 & 34, Sig 226 in 9mm. I got the CZ75BD and put a .22 Kadet Kit with it for less $ than the BHP or 226. Lots of gun, lots of shooting for not much money with the .22 conversion. Very accurate and reliable.

Officer's Match
November 6, 2007, 07:08 PM
Everyone should have a 19, at least at some point if not permanently.

Yellowfin
November 6, 2007, 07:40 PM
A Star Firestar would be really good if you could find one. Very small, light yet all metal, and reasonably priced.

ScaryWoody
November 6, 2007, 07:45 PM
+1 on the Glock 19. It is compact enough for concealed carry yet packs 15 plus one in capacity. Added advantage for you, if you are in the Atlanta area, is they are serviced in Smyrna. Any issues, just drop it off.

quickcanary
November 6, 2007, 08:47 PM
I would personally suggest:

SIG P226, P229
Glock G17, G19
CZ 75B, SP-01, P-01

Any of those would be a great choice, depending on frame size preferences. There are MANY great 9mms to choose from, including the above in addition to the HK USP/P2000, Baby Eagle, XD9, Beretta M92, M&P 9mm, etc.

When someone just says they "want a 9mm" it can be hard to make a solid recommendation without other criteria that help narrow the choices down. But I think you would be well served by a P229, G19, or P-01. These are all mid-size guns that serve well as range guns and are small enough to be carried easily. They are also accurate and reliable. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

VRMN8R
November 6, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Point? :D

Taurus_9mm
November 6, 2007, 11:22 PM
Taurus PT92 or Ruger P95 :D

Officer's Match
November 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
+1 on the PT92 recommendation.

sparkyguy
November 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
I bought a Bersa Thunder 9 HC a few weeks back and have been quite pleased with it. Fun gun.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/sparkyguy/100_0414.jpg
Holds 17+1 which ranks up there with other high-capacity guns.

Magyar
November 7, 2007, 03:03 PM
You might try a Daewoo DP51C...Just came back from the range and it is nice dependable, low-budget pistol...I invited a friend and after he shot it for awhile and was starting to shoot better than yours truly: he wants to buy it! :eek: No way...:D He can find his own....Yes, it is a nice carry gun....
http://i24.tinypic.com/15o9ssk.jpg

BigJimP
November 7, 2007, 03:15 PM
If you like DA guns I would stick with a SIG 226 (about 9 versions out there in that model, I like the all stainless version) about $1,000 new.

I really like a 1911 in a 9mm as well - in a 5" barrel. Wilson Combat makes some very nice guns like the Protector in all stainless or a CQB blued with the armor tuff finish on it ( about $ 2,300 new ).

November 7, 2007, 03:34 PM
Why mess around? Get a Browning Hi Power. Doesn't get any better.

What he said.

curmudgeon1
November 8, 2007, 12:36 AM
Take a look at a Kahr P9 Covert before you make up your mind. Really a nice gun. Only 16 oz., very accurate, smoooth trigger, fun to shoot.

wide_open
November 8, 2007, 01:41 AM
G19 or Sig p226

golf97
November 8, 2007, 01:53 AM
P228

Sportology
November 8, 2007, 03:06 AM
Try getting your hands around a Browning (or FN) Pro-9. What a sweet pistol! They're light, multi-functioned (DA/SA, Decock w/ cocked-n-locked option) and just plain wonderful. Spendy at +/- $600.00, but what the hey- it's really a fun and capable piece.

oldbillthundercheif
November 8, 2007, 04:18 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/zarganuts/fn_hp_sasfs.jpg

Wrascal
November 8, 2007, 06:47 AM
Old Bill, sorry for this, but
that picture qualifies for the "ugly gun" postings.

But don't take my word for it,
cause I think Glocks are sexy.

Harry Callahan
November 8, 2007, 11:11 AM

cause I think Glocks are sexy

Huh?! Ugly gun picture? That's gun -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- if I've ever seen it!

Donovan655
November 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
I like pretty much all of the suggestions so far...however, a really nice and inexpensive pistol that I just got is the Stoeger Cougar:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/large.tpl?Image=large-cougar8000.jpg

It is the exact pistol made by Beretta years ago. They moved manufacturing to Turkey, painted it black, and slapped the Stoeger logo on it.

very nice pistol. It is fairly small--just small enough to carry in my opinion.

I've shot much tighter groups with this pistol than either of my M9 or Ruger pistols. it does have more recoil than my beretta.

Hard Ball
November 8, 2007, 12:12 PM
"Take a look at a Sig P226 it should serve you well. Or P229 if the P226 feels to big."

+1

The P226 and the P229 are superb pistols!

BCE_.357
November 8, 2007, 12:35 PM

cause I think Glocks are sexy.

I agree with you.

I am also one of those who thinks Glocks are beautiful.

I don't like heavy guns, unless it is a 1911 or a Magnum revolver.

oldbillthundercheif
November 8, 2007, 04:55 PM
Don't worry guys, Hi-Powers can be an acquired taste. I thought they were a little ugly for the first 20-30 years of shooting (I think the dull-finished old models with enormous rear sights were responsible)...

But then I had a few handed to me for entertainment at various ranges and the ergonomics really started to grow on me. Then I finally bought one. Only then did I become a BHP true-believer.

imthegrumpyone
November 8, 2007, 05:02 PM
A Baby Eagle stainless is nice.

BCE_.357
November 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
I would agree with the baby eagle.

Those look very nice. Very accurate also

Shooters Plus
November 8, 2007, 05:04 PM
Try a Glock 19 and see how you like it. As the saying goes, they are either loved or hated. :)

BCE_.357
November 8, 2007, 05:08 PM
Try a Glock 19 and see how you like it. As the saying goes, they are either loved or hated.

Who hates Glocks?

They are crazy.

I still say get something bigger than 9mm though. Unless it's for comp.

Harry Callahan
November 8, 2007, 11:03 PM
Don't worry guys, Hi-Powers can be an acquired taste. I thought they were a little ugly for the first 20-30 years of shooting (I think the dull-finished old models with enormous rear sights were responsible)...

But then I had a few handed to me for entertainment at various ranges and the ergonomics really started to grow on me. Then I finally bought one. Only then did I become a BHP true-believer.

Whew! I was beginning to think you were a communist or something;). I guess you can stay in the gang!

Pilot
November 10, 2007, 11:56 AM
For carry or range its hard to beat the CZ-75D PCR.

Freetacos
November 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
I would have to agree with those who said the Glock 19. Glocks aren't perfect but they are fine choices according to cost, reliability, and combat accuracy. Glocks are used by so many agencies and there are so many parts/aftermarkets parts floating around and Glock armorers that you will never find yourself empty handed.

flusher
November 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
How about a S&W Mode 39 and a 1952 FN High Power
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l75/p0838/39andHP.jpg

82ndtrooper
November 10, 2007, 02:36 PM
I'll give my .02

For the money I've been more than impressed with the Stoeger Couger 8000 chambered in 9mm Luger/Para. I had been thinking of trying to find a Beretta Tomcat then suddenly Stoeger announces their alliance/ownership with Beretta and the Stoeger Couger was recieving high marks all around by gun enthusiasts and gun mag writers alike. It's a high quality firearm at a low quality price.

I cut my teeth, in the 9mm mil genre, on the Beretta 92Fs (M9) While in the military and to this day still give it high marks for reliablility and accuracy. It's a bit large for concealment, but many have managed to use IWB holsters with it and swear on it's reliability and accuracy. I still think the Beretta 92 Fs is one of the easiest pistols to nail hole for hole accuracy out of with little or no accuracy coaching. Although many would scrap the safety/decocker for a frame mounted if they a had chance in the engineering shop with Beretta.

The Top of my list goes to either the Sig P226 or the H&K USP 9mm Luger. It's hard to argue eithers inherent quality or reliability and accuracy.

ArizonaRick
November 10, 2007, 02:38 PM
I have the Baby Eagle in 9mm full size, steel frame. I paid $349 at Sportsmans Warehouse (phoenix) last year. It is made in Isriel (not Itally) and is used by the military and police. It is a CZ75 copy w/ some modifications. I use it for IDPA / IPSC. Super reliable, I have 4K rounds of mostly reloads plus cheep surplus, Wolf, S&B... and it has NEVER jamed. Uses CZ75 mags (cheep & easy to get). See Magnum Research web site. It a stainless steel barrel, crisp trigger, and is still very tight after 4k rounds. I would highly recommend this gun or a CZ75 (J&G sales has specials every few months). Good luck- Arizona Rick.

Chui
November 10, 2007, 05:46 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P Full Size
H&K P30
Sig Sauer P226R
Browning Hi Power

Pappy John
November 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
For the first thirty years of my experience with handguns I saw no reason to own any 9mms at all. It was all .44s and .45s with an occasional .357 magnum thrown in. What did I need with that weak sister round taking up valuable safe space? Then just a little over a year ago I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up on a barely used Glock 17 with several mags for $429. I truthfully think the original owner never fired it. I figured that it would be nice to have something that was cheap enough to shoot that I didn't have to spend time at the reloading press to keep it well fed. I found the truth of an economical accurate round that's size made for easy to carry guns that fired it. Now I'm up to four of the little beasts. I liked the G17 so much that I bought a G26 too, followed by a PF-9, and then a S&W 3913. I'd have a hard time giving any of them up now, since the latest three all conceal so well and my G17 has become my go to piece for steel plate matches, where I used to use several different .45s.

My original idea of buying a gun that was so cheap to shoot that I wouldn't have to reload for it didn't quite pan out though. I'm just too frugal to walk away from spent brass, and soon gathered up reloading dies for this caliber also. What can I say? It's a sickness. :o

So try a few out and get what you like. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

willson73
November 10, 2007, 11:08 PM
So try a few out and get what you like. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The reason there are so many different guns, is because there are so many different shooters! Try some on for size and buy the one you like.

Widder
November 11, 2007, 11:21 PM
For CCW, I recommend the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact. Feels great, shoots straight and is ultra reliable.

ThatGunGuy
November 12, 2007, 12:49 PM
thanks for all the replies. i think i've decided on the Baby Desert Eagle

Coop
November 12, 2007, 01:20 PM
I see you've decided I just wanted to ad I recently picked up a Taurus PT111 Pro 9mm and really like it. It's a great size to carry and surprisingly accurate for a small semi.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/SVCoop/Misc/PT111.jpg

willson73
November 12, 2007, 11:52 PM
i think i've decided on the Baby Desert Eagle

That was my first, I never had any problems with it, not a single jam in about 8K rounds! It's an awesome shooter!

michigun
December 5, 2007, 07:00 PM
Sparky how much did you pay for it ?

Mark54g
December 6, 2007, 03:03 AM
FN FNP 9m or FN FNP, Beretta PX4 etc. They are polymer framed but awesome guns. The FN is relatively cheap for the quality.

Gunbroker has the FNP 9m (compact) for under $400 with 3 15rd mags standard.

sparkyguy
December 6, 2007, 08:25 PM
michigun wrote:
Sparky how much did you pay for it ?

I got it for $180 + shipping on gunbroker. It only came with one 10rnd mag, so I had to buy a 17rnd mag(which was expensive) off of auctionarms.com . I see the full-size Thunder9's going for $360 - $400+ brand new. Mine is practically new, so I did well I believe. Sad thing is, Xmas is coming and my bonus from work is not coming fast enough(if at all) so I am being forced(by wife) to sell it along with another gun, a Taurus 94, which I have listed in the "handguns classifieds" on TFL and other boards.

TBT
December 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
Good luck with the Baby Eagle. I was about to suggest the Glock 19 and the CZ P-01.

1SOW
December 6, 2007, 10:23 PM
and they are all SIGS