PDA

View Full Version : 1911 problem

Sector001
November 4, 2007, 09:26 PM
Greetings all:

I just bought a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. Before I even shot it the first time, I replaced the recoil spring with a stronger 24 lb one from Wolff, installed a full length guide rod from Wilson, a recoil buffer on the rod, and a 10% stronger magazine spring also from Wolff. Within the first 3 mags of Rem UMC 180gr fmj, I had a problem with the slide ejecting the spent case, and then locking back, even though there was a round still in the mag. It did this 4 or 5 times in those 3 mags. However, I shot 2 mags full of 175 gr Silvertips and had no problems. Should I replaced some/all of the upgrades when shooting the "lighter" stuff, or is there a deeper issue?

Thanks!

DonR101395
November 4, 2007, 09:44 PM
The feed lips on your magazine may be spread just enough to push the last round up enough for the follower to engage the slide lock. Try it without the +10% mag spring. If that fixes the problem, you've got it isolated and I would replace the mag.

Sector001
November 4, 2007, 09:54 PM
Interesting... Now that I think about it, I have heard that the original factory mags had problems of some sort. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

RickB
November 5, 2007, 12:32 AM
I have three factory mags, with the original springs, and never a problem with them. I'd be looking at the contours of the those 180gr rounds, and looking for copper residue on the slidestop. It's possible the 180s are hitting the slidestop, while the silverstips, due to a different profile, slide right by.

OJ
November 6, 2007, 11:50 AM
I believe the sequel to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is, "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it till it is". ;)

:D

The Tourist
November 6, 2007, 12:36 PM
I had a Delta Elite in 10mm, and I was also one of the six guys who bought a Double Eagle in 10mm Auto.

I shot factory, I shot reloads, I shot lino, etc., and due to changes in magazines, I bought every one marked 10mm I could find. I mixed and matched these magazines between guns simply because I could not keep them straight.

BTW, some magazines were stainless, one was blue.

I don't bother with guide rods and rubber buffers. I shot my guns "as is" right out of the box. I would take the big Country Crock plastic tubs of handloads out to the range and pound those pistols until the ghost of Audie Murphy told me to go home.

I never had a stoppage, not one.

dgludwig
November 8, 2007, 01:31 PM
I would try putting everything back together (stock) and trying it just to be sure that one of the aftermarket components isn't contributing to the problem. If the stock pistol performs well, install each aftermarket part independently and test-firing same before adding subsequent parts to narrow down a possible culprit.

michael t
November 8, 2007, 09:56 PM
I would try putting everything back together (stock) and trying it just to be sure that one of the aftermarket components isn't contributing to the problem. If the stock pistol performs well, install each aftermarket part independently and test-firing same before adding subsequent parts to narrow down a possible culprit.

I agree why would you mess with a pistol you hadn't even shot. More problems are from tinkering ,than leaving alone. I belive the factory have it pretty much figured out. and perfer to spend my money on ammo.

Fremmer
November 8, 2007, 10:25 PM
I had a problem with the slide ejecting the spent case, and then locking back, even though there was a round still in the mag.

Does that mean the cases are being ejected fine, but the slide is locking back too early? Your thumb isn't hitting the slide stop while firing? If not, is there some reason that cases are hitting that slide stop somehow? I'm not sure that the extra strength mag springs would cause this. Does it do this with all three of your mags?

I'd probably restore the stock parts and test out some other brands of 180 grain ammo. Could be is just doesn't like that particular UMC ammo.

auto45
November 9, 2007, 08:07 AM
I'd bet the recoil spring is too strong for the UMC ammo.

Silvertips worked fine. Are they faster/ more powerful?

HankL
November 9, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'll vote for RickB's idea. This is most likely the cause of the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag.

I don't have the specs here at work but I would suggest going with a new stock weight recoil spring no need for a heavier spring really.

Let us know how you come out.