PDA

View Full Version : Blown up P22 Walther pics

Superhouse 15
October 29, 2007, 01:45 PM
Sorry for the blur, I was in a hurry to take some pics before this went back to S&W. This was a rental on our range that blew up in the hands of a new shooter. Ammo was CCI mini mag, pieces of it are visible in the chamber. It was the first shot fired out of the gun that day, there were no injuries. The gun is a high round count rental and was dirty at the time. It has had minor parts breakage in the past but otherwise was (thought to be) working well. Before anyone bashes, I am a fan of these guns based on their performance as rentals. They have held up well to huge amounts of rounds. We start many new shooters on one of the two we keep as rentals. The other shows no signs of damage, BTW. I own one myself and, while not a CCW, I have used it as a "car gun" in the past. I think it's a great training pistol before a new shooter moves up to a bigger caliber. S&W customer service has been outstanding in the past when we have had small breakage issues. Comments are welcome as always.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/superhouse15/sizedp22-1.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/superhouse15/sizedp22-2.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/superhouse15/sizedp22-3.jpg

Wrascal
October 29, 2007, 02:24 PM
A little JB Weld and it'll be ok.
Will await word on how the factory handles it.

I love mine too!

JWT
October 29, 2007, 04:17 PM
Sorry, but with the blurred picture I can't really tell what exactly got damaged. I own one of these little guys and absolutely love it. Can you explain verbally what got damaged??

thanks

brickeyee
October 29, 2007, 04:38 PM
Clearer pics or at least a verbal of what is damaged.
Looks sort of like a typical .22 RF case head blowout.
It happens, but should not really damage very much.

HighValleyRanch
October 29, 2007, 05:18 PM
Clearer terms?
EXPLODED VIEW!:D

Superhouse 15
October 29, 2007, 05:30 PM
The middle pic is probably the best. The top of the (not steel) slide has separated and peeled back off of the slide. It was found forward on the range. The firing pin is jammed to the rear, but intact. The safety did not function until the firing pin was moved free, forward. The extractor is damaged but not broken off. There is no obvious damage to the frame. The feed ramp is intact, the rails are not bent or bulged. The barrel shroud is intact, the barrel is not bulged, the barrel nut is tight. There is most of a brass case in the chamber, the case head is blown out. The recoil spring is kinked, the rod is intact.

Top pic, brass in the chamber with a "shattered" appearance.
Second, looking through the slide. The crack is visible as a light gray line in front of the rear sight.
Third. Side by side blurry bad pic, recoil spring is visible. No extractor visible.

gopack
October 30, 2007, 06:15 AM
I assume the bullet left the brass and barrel. It would be nice to hear S&W's opinion of the failure. Metal fatigue?

I have a P22, one of those that has a tendency to put the brass back into your face. I sent mine to S&W because the slide was being eaten by the trigger bar tabs and then disassembled it and polished the tabs. I haven't been overly impressed with the design, quality or materials of construction since then. Loads of folks do not have those problems and love their P22's.

While it's fun to shoot, it's difficult to shoot accurately. When I let new shooters try out my .22's, I usually steer them away from the P22 because of the difficulty to shoot accurately.

PointOneSeven
October 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
Agreed with above poster, a target pistol it is not.

I had a .22 lr case blow up in a rifle, stripping out a screw that held the trigger assembly in place. I didn't think a kaboom was possible in .22 lr until it happened to me. It can do some damage, as that p22 above shows!

pistolet1
October 30, 2007, 05:56 PM
gopack

I feel the same way about the P22; not overly impressed by the design, construction, and materials used. I bought the pistol for my son, his first .22 pistol, and the first things I noticed about it were: lots of jams with different brands of ammo, and so-so accuracy, even as a plinker. I bought him the regular length barrel after I gave up trying to keep the barrel extension/fake compensator on; it would usually loosen up and come off after 50 rounds. If I had to do it over again, knowing what I do now, I would definitely go with something else.

Tom2
October 30, 2007, 07:42 PM
A clean gun is a happy gun! Wonder if it can fire out of battery with a crudded up chamber not seating the cart. fully? Heard of blown case heads but never a rimfire kaboom. No barrel obstructions, for sure?

JWT
October 31, 2007, 07:21 PM
The early model P22's had lots of problems with jamming etc. Those have been corrected and the newer guns perform fine - no problems with any jams on mine with all brands of ammo.

gopack
October 31, 2007, 09:46 PM
I've seen another report of a fractured slide http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96595

How this happened is sheer speculation unless Superhouse 15 gets a report back from S&W. However, I just checked my P22 and the hammer will drop with a considerable gap (appears to be just under 1/8") between the slide and the barrel. It could be that the slide didn't go completely into battery, leaving the round not fully seated when it fired.

Who knows? I'll pay a bit more attention to my P22 when I'm shooting it.

I thought one of the strengths of the P22 was it's ability to shoot a wide variety of ammo and not get choked up by the crud and corruption. One of the posters on RFC has one with over 25k rounds without problems. He has done a number of "longevity" mods (polishing and the like) and seems to take meticulous care of his pistols.