PDA

View Full Version : MagSafe Ammo?

Ruthless4christ
October 28, 2007, 09:01 PM
:DAnybody use this stuff? it's pretty darn expensive, and they say they tet it on French alpine Goats to see how fast it kills em'. sounds pretty intense to me.

Silentarmy
October 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
It is expensive as hell (around $2/shot but has rifle velocities and super light grain weights. I carry their 65 Grain Super swat cartridge staggered with Gold dot 230's in my G36. The box o truth has done some water jug testing (I have never been attacked by a water jug but am prepared for such an attack) I did my own water jug test and it was the most violently explosive round of any caliber I have ever fired! I got drenched from about 20 ft. I don't know the penetration factor but expansion was impressive. Many of their rounds are essentially a shotshell with a copper hollow point cup behind it.

Manedwolf
October 28, 2007, 10:15 PM
Gimmick. See Box of Truth.

Also, there's at least one xray where a BG was shot with it, he had his arm up, it hit the arm, didn't even hit the body. Wound channels are almost nonexistent and penetration was ridiculously shallow, it'd cause a nasty flesh wound. Good if you're attacked by some jugs of water. Human beings? Not so much.

Why you'll see old packs on clearance at gun shows, stuff made like ten years ago.

If it worked, don't you think the FBI would use it?

Ruthless4christ
October 28, 2007, 11:44 PM
(I have never been attacked by a water jug but am prepared for such an attack) PRICELESS!:)

Ruthless4christ
October 28, 2007, 11:48 PM
the way i look at it it is good for home defense due to its lack of penetration? i dont know but I was given a bunch of it and dont want to pass up on gold if i have it. I am thinking about loading my clips for carry with this stuff, but i am sure it would not be good for a car (or biker jacket for that matter) then again i could always carry two clips of magsafe, and 2 of fmj:cool:..bu then if i get them mixed up...:o

Unregistered
October 29, 2007, 12:01 AM
I use them because I want to create wide, shallow surface wounds that don't incapacitate the target.

Another reason I like them is because they are so expensive you can't afford to waste time at the range function testing them.

jfrey123
October 29, 2007, 01:15 AM
I've only found these in 6 packs. I've run a set of 9mm through my Glock and they ran fine. If you do make the decision to carry with these, make sure you devote the $15 for a test pack. I use them because I live inside an apartment and am very concerned about over penetration. My roommate knows that in a home invasion, he gets 12 warning shots to get down on the ground. If I haven't stopped a BG in 12 shots, a mag full of "real" self defense ammo is going to follow!

I haven't done the research on these myself, but I like to think I can do enough damage with a small pebble going over 1000 fps... It's better than the sharp stick if you are truly concerned about over penetration...

Manedwolf
October 29, 2007, 08:15 AM
i dont know but I was given a bunch of it and dont want to pass up on gold if i have it.

People do not generally give away good ammo. ;)

I am thinking about loading my clips for carry with this stuff, but i am sure it would not be good for a car (or biker jacket for that matter)

It absolutely will not penetrate any sort of vehicle. Ever. It'd also likely not even penetrate biker leather.

Ruthless4christ
October 29, 2007, 11:01 AM
it was a gift

BanditSRT8
October 31, 2007, 01:09 AM
I have carried MagSafe's for over 10 years and am in love with them. I have my top 2 rounds (in the pipe, and 1st round in mag) loaded with MagSafe, then the rest are all CorBon rounds.

Do bear in mind that there are DIFFERENT types of MagSafe, and what you're hearing about negatively above sound like the pellet type. The pre-fragmented bullets are incredibly wicked, and do penetrate nicely.

Some of the most violent wounds reported in ballistics have come from MagSafe rounds.

Never run them in-between other rounds in your mags (MagSafe, other brand, Magsafe, other brand) because the recoil is signifigantly LESS on the MagSafe's and you'll have horribly inconsistent placement from shot to shot. Keep the MagSafe's together.

Bill DeShivs
October 31, 2007, 02:58 AM
Why, lately, is the FBI the pinnacle of ammunition development and use? They commission some "study" that says you have to have 73 feet of penetration to even get someone's attention and you people actually believe it? Marshall and Sanow spent countless hours logging actual shooting data and everyone poo poos that. Interesting.....

sholling
October 31, 2007, 03:09 AM
Marshall and Sanow spent countless hours logging actual shooting data and everyone poo poos that. Interesting.....Dr Fackler spent his entire career studying would ballistics. First as an Army surgeon and later as the head of the Army Wound Ballistic Laboratory which I think gives him some credibility and he poo poos (or worse) Marshall and Sanow's work. Guess which one has more credibility with me... But to each their own.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/politics.html

Manedwolf
October 31, 2007, 11:00 AM
Some of the most violent wounds reported in ballistics have come from MagSafe rounds.

Birdshot can make an attacker look like a horror movie too, but it won't necessarily stop them. Splattering epidermis and muscle tissue does not stop someone.

Nasty wounds are often surface wounds. A small entry wound and explosive expansion deep among organs and nerves is more what you want to STOP an attacker...

ldyates
November 3, 2007, 01:13 PM
I shot a clip out of my Kahr CW9 at steel plates from 10 yds. The steel plates rock heavily with 115gr TMJ's and it fell over with the Magsafe ammo.

Not exactly scientific.... .but... it proved to me that this ammo is a safe alternative to heavy loads in a house where penetration of walls is an issue. Bottom line... it will really mess up a bad guy and my wife can handle the round and that works for me.