PDA

View Full Version : I keep coming back to the .45 ACP

njtrigger
October 28, 2007, 12:19 AM
When the question of caliber keeps popping up, my mind keeps going back to the .45. We all have heard by now about "shot placement", but if you were alone in your house and needed to defend yourself, then tell me the truth. Which caliber would you prefer?

Lets review:

- The 9 mm - So many police departments and the FBI have had perceived problems with the round not stopping the bad guy.

- 357 SIG- Lots of flash, sound and pop might distract you in a self-defense situation.

- .40 S&W- Too much kick to place a good second shot.

- The .45- Everything is just right and it has proven stopping ability. SWAT teams weapon of choice.

In my household, my weapon of choice is the .45.

tjcoker
October 28, 2007, 01:07 AM
Good deal, now it's time for more practice. Dry fire and some live fire.

curmudgeon1
October 28, 2007, 02:13 AM
Those .45acp's are comforting to carry, eh!

Sigma 40 Blaster
October 28, 2007, 03:17 AM
.40 S&W

Do I think it's the "BEST" caliber? I don't know. I shoot a lot of it at paper, steel, and cardboard.

If I had to pick one gun to have in my hand with a BG or a group of BGs in my house that'd be it IF I couldn't choose a 12 GA with 00 Buck. I wouldn't be trembling (anymore than expected) with a 9mm either.

I have shot .45 in different makes/models of guns and I didn't like the kick, it's more natural for me to pull a gun back down than to push it back forward.

BillCA
October 28, 2007, 04:01 AM
...but if you were alone in your house and needed to defend yourself, then tell me the truth. Which caliber would you prefer?

Well, in the bottom-feeder category, I'd have to agree with you that the .45 ACP is probably what I'd select. Without putting down the other calibers, at close ranges the old warhorse builds confidence.

There's a reason the .45 builds this confidence over the .355/.357 calibers;
http://dragon.hematite.com/MuzzleSizesS_1129.jpg
.45 Caliber vs. 9mm muzzles

WESHOOT2
October 28, 2007, 08:49 AM
that it doesn't matter to me.

I make my own ammo.
9x19 costs less.

I have 1911s chambered for the 9x19, 40 S&W, 400 CorBon, and 45 ACP.
I have Redhawks chambered in 357, 41, and 44 Magnum (swapped my 45 Colt for that 40 S&W 1911).

I keep coming back to "timely well-delivered hits".

Ask Goliath.......

Magyar
October 28, 2007, 08:59 AM
Even though I tend to practice more with what carry gun presently being used, during the weekly rotation of my calibers I just love the feel and performance of the .45acp..
Unfortunately, with my lifestyle it becomes only a seasonal carry: winter...:)

MJZZZ
October 28, 2007, 09:04 AM
I used .45 as my HD and carry caliber for several years, it replaced the .357 I used for 11 years. A year after buying a CZ 9mm and shooting both 9mm and .45 twice a month. I have gone to the 9mm for all uses, because I am just flat out a better shot with the 9mm. 15 round capacity over 7-8, and better placement on second and third shots is a real confidence builder to me. Mike

Shane Tuttle
October 28, 2007, 09:23 AM
The 9 mm - So many police departments and the FBI have had perceived problems with the round not stopping the bad guy.

Although I don't agree nor disagree, I'd like to know if the stats that formed your opinion is recent or not. There are so many variables involved such as ammo type and, of course, whether the stories told are actually factual...

- 357 SIG- Lots of flash, sound and pop might distract you in a self-defense situation.

I don't have much experience with this round, but if the right ammo is used or the right powder in reloads, flash is minimized. Sound and pop? Last I checked all of my guns have "sound and pop"....

Too much FOR YOU? Well, then that's your opinion and if it doesn't work out for you it doesn't. Too much kick in a general statement? You're statement is absolutely false. Proper grip and technique of your firearm takes care of this for me. Is this the end all be all round? No. But, neither is any other round including the 9mm and .45....

The .45- Everything is just right and it has proven stopping ability. SWAT teams weapon of choice.

The 9mm and .40 seems to be LE's choice around the country as well...

My personal take? I have well placed guns in my house that provide chamberings of 9mm, .40SW, and .45ACP. None of these cartridges scare me away from using them to defend myself, property, and loved one...

AK103K
October 28, 2007, 09:28 AM
I have guns in all four calibers you have listed, and dont find any of them to be to much different than the other to shoot. Of all of them, I prefer the 357SIG, as I believe its the more potent of the lot.

WESHOOT2
October 28, 2007, 09:29 AM
Truth: the 45 ACP is the choice of armed professionals.

I agree.
But I wear a 22......

Manedwolf
October 28, 2007, 09:34 AM
Too much FOR YOU? Well, then that's your opinion and if it doesn't work out for you it doesn't. Too much kick in a general statement? You're statement is absolutely false. Proper grip and technique of your firearm takes care of this for me. Is this the end all be all round? No. But, neither is any other round including the 9mm and .45....

Actually, a lot of people perceive the .40 S&W recoil as rather snappish in a way that slows followup shots, while the recoil of .45 ACP is more of a push.

Shane Tuttle
October 28, 2007, 10:08 AM
Actually, a lot of people perceive the .40 S&W recoil as rather snappish in a way that slows followup shots, while the recoil of .45 ACP is more of a push.

That, I understand. However, that's not my point. The OP stated too much "kick" and didn't elaborate the type of felt recoil. Again, the snap vs. the push is a subjective arguement on what's the easiest to manage. For me, the snap of the .40 in my firearm and my method of grip allows for faster followup shots than some other cartridges. This is, again, full of variables such as what type of firearm used, the person's tecniques, person's experience level and formal training, etc...

Dust Monkey
October 28, 2007, 10:21 AM
I alternate between 45 (1911) and a Beretta 92. I feel more comfortable with a 1911 as a platform than the Beretta. With that said, I do not feel less protected with a 9mm vs a 45.

Select the weapon that fits YOU and suits YOUR needs. Just because the police, SWAT teams or whatever agency carries a certain weapon does not mean that said weapon is the best thing since sliced bread.

Caliber does not matter, IMO. Being able to hit what you aim at, consistently, is numero uno in my book. It does not matter what caliber you have if you cant put the lead where you want it.

Find a weapon that fits you, your hand and your intended needs. Then practice, practice and practice. When you think you are good enough, practice a lot more.

oldboyshooter
October 28, 2007, 07:46 PM
I love a good 45 acp and have many.

I really like my .357 Sig and have only one.

I like my 9MM pistols also (many of these also).

I have an extra barrel (40 cal) for the Sig and while it shoot well, I like the .357 Sig better.

SHOT PLACEMENT IS THE WHOLE KEY. I would rather be able to place three in the chest area than miss with a larger caliber.

Having said that, it is cheaper to practice with the 9MM.

curmudgeon1
October 29, 2007, 11:00 PM
The bg also carries a gun, so I carry what I think has the best chance of discouraging him from using it with my 1st shot; a .45" dia. 230gr slug.

mthalo
October 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
9mm, hands down.

Why (and this is directed to no one in particular), because at 15.72 per 100 at Wal-Mart, you can afford to shoot twice as many as you can of .45, and if your like the majority of the people I see at the range, you need three times as much practice as you think you do.

So, if you can get twice as much practice for the same money, you'll be two thirds of the way there.

I can't tell you how many times I see people blasting two foot groups from 15 feet with their 1911's.

AK103K
October 30, 2007, 06:11 PM
I can't tell you how many times I see people blasting two foot groups from 15 feet with their 1911's.
I'd be willing to bet those same people would shoot the same with a 9mm. ;)

If you reload, .45 is cheap to shoot too, just like 9mm.

curmudgeon1
October 30, 2007, 06:19 PM
The bottom line is stopping bg's from using their gun on you, not punching holes in paper, right ?

mthalo
October 30, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'd be willing to bet those same people would shoot the same with a 9mm

That would be a pure, 100% sucker bet there :)
I doubt there are too many of these "shotgun pattern" shooters out there who are into reloading, so they can generally shoot twice as much 9mm.

The bottom line is stopping bg's from using their gun on you, not punching holes in paper, right ?

True, but if you can't hit center of mass on paper, you're not going to be able to do it on a bad guy.

Bottom line is, I would rather have someone
shoot at me with a 50 BMG and miss, than hit me with a .22.

Surefire_U2
October 30, 2007, 07:44 PM
I prefer .45

9mm is my second choice. With modern ammo, IMO its very effective.

.40 S&W is my last choice. I don't care for the hard and snappy recoil. Having said this, it too is a great round.

Doublestack
October 30, 2007, 09:50 PM
A 9mm MIGHT expand.

A .45 will NOT shrink!

:):):)

DS