View Full Version : SBS question.

October 1, 2007, 08:20 AM
If you want to make a SBS do you have to go through the same steps like you would for a SBR with the ATF?
Also if you wanted to go back to a long barrel instead of alway's using your short barrel can you do that? Or do you have to keep the short barrel on at all times?

Johnny Guest
October 1, 2007, 09:18 AM
When you write "SBS," shall we presume you mean "short barrel shotgun?" Amongst whotgunners, SBS (and SxS) are normally taken to mean a "Side by Side" double barrel shotgun, as opposed to an "O/U," or over and under.

Anyway, as far as making up a short barrel Shotgun, yes, you'd need the same papers from BATFE as for making a short barrel rifle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the proper paperwork is called a Form 10. you can get the proper one fromthe BATFE website.

And, yes, if you have an extra set of barrels -- or barrel. I'm thinking double guns, but you might well be talking about a pump or autoloader. Anyway, yes, you can change it around, but BEWARE! If you've legally manufactured and registered, say, a Remington 870 with a 14-inch barrel, and then install a 28-inch tube for bird hunting, THE RECEIVER IS STILL REGISTERED as a short-barrel firearm. You CANNOT legally swap that nice bird gun to your buddy without jumping through the legal hoops.

Best of luck.

October 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the proper paperwork is called a Form 10.
If you are taking an existing shotgun and converting it to SBS status by shortening the barrel(s) then you do so via a form1, application to make and register a firearm, just like making a short barreled rifle (SBR). If you are transferring an existing SBS then you do so via a form4. Form10's are for governmental transfers.

October 1, 2007, 12:19 PM
Yes I meant Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS). Thats what I have alway's heard it called.

October 1, 2007, 01:07 PM
We call them SBS's here too.

The other poster is correct, it's a Form 1, with a 200 dollar tax paid, prints and photo and CLEO endorsement. (Unless going Trust or Corp route)

If, at some time later, you want to revert the NFA device back to "Title 1" status, you need to write a letter (send them a copy of your approved Form 1 also) and describe the weapon and what changes you've made to it to render it NON-NFA.

Something like this.

To: ATFE/NFA Branch
244 Needy Rd.
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Dear Sir or Madam,

AZEX had previously, on 1/5/06, to be exact, faxed in a Form 2, to register (among other weapons) one Armory USA, Model AUSA, SN AA 5164, as a short-barrelled rifle.

We have subsequently rendered it a Title 1 firearm by performing the following steps on the weapon.

5 foreign made parts, in addition to the receiver, have been replaced with US manufactured parts, satisfying Title 18 Subsection 922(r).

A 7” long, solid aluminum, fake silencer, has been threaded onto the muzzle of the 10” barrel and pinned to the bbl pursuant to ATF rulings regarding permanent barrel extensions.

(A solid steel pin, affixes the fake suppressor, and the head of the pin is welded over)

AZEX requests that ATF no longer recognize this particular firearm as an NFA weapon, so we can sell it as an unrestricted item.

Thanks in Advance.
Derek Huffman, Owner, AZEX

We’re transmitting a copy of the original Form 2 along with this letter as well.