PDA

View Full Version : Baby Eagles

defjon
September 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
A store here has a baby eagle, which is all chromed out and just awesome. I think it was a little bit over 500 or so. I'm thinking about trading my Sig P226 in towards it. What do you guys think? Am I nuts for trading a Sig for a Baby Eagle? The Sig is really accurate and has been a great gun....as Sigs generally are...but the BE has pizaz. And flash. It feels AWESOME in my hand and the sights are great, it seems like it would be really accurate.

I'm rounding out my gun collection and this would probably take the place of a chrome Browning High Power that I wanted to get later on. I AM scared though to trade an accurate and fully reliable Sig though! Do BE's come as lemons very often??

Help appreciated-

Jon

dwatts47
September 13, 2007, 01:41 PM
I think you'll honestly regret it.

I can't suspect the quality of the baby eagle,but over time, and rounds I beleive the sig to be your best bet. Plus oogles more holster selection.

I have traded a SiG before... but only for another sig

ARmasterzach
September 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
I got a baby eagle cause it was a totally awesome looking/feeling nine and it shoots accurate too. I have never held/shot a sig but I have decided to sell my BE because it jams every now and then so bad that it takes a rubber mallet or a 2x4 to hit the slide to un-stick it. If you can afford good ammo and you will keep it clean 100percent of the time though, you shouldnt have a problem. I would carry a plastic hammer in my pocket if you are going to carry concealed though:eek:
BTW: anybody else had this problem?

KMBRTAC45
September 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
As someone who has owned a Baby Eagle .40 and currently owns 4 Sigs. I regret trading in the BE, as I think most people do when they trade away a great firearm. BUT, I would NEVER trade any of my Sig's in for a BE. The BE was a great gun, never failed to fire, return to battery, jam, nothing. If you can your best bet would be to save up and buy the BE outright and keep them both.

D-Man
September 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
I owned a 9MM BE that I sold earlier in the year. I 'replaced' it with a Sig P226ST.

As much as I liked the BE, the Sig is in all regards a much better weapon to me.

Is there anything you don't like about the P226 that you plan to get rid of?

Trapper L
September 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
I have several BEs with the steel frames and none have ever had a hiccup. All are better shooters than most "target" pistols. But a BE for $500.00 is a little too rich regardless of the finish. I wouldn't trade.

PointOneSeven
September 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
The most accurate pistol (not revolver) out of the box I've ever shot. Very solid, and my two relatives that own them are happy with them.

If you're done with the p226, use it for the trade.

imthegrumpyone
September 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
I've owned one for 10 yrs, you'll have to pry it out of my hands to get it.

tomh1426
September 13, 2007, 04:10 PM
I dont sell or trade any of my guns, I only add new ones (to many past regrets)
So no I wouldnt trade
I own a all steel full size "baby" desert eagle .40 s&w and it has never failed me in any way no matter what I feed it.
It is alot more acurate than me looks cool and fits my hands perfectly (with houg grips) and I really like the poly barrel.
It is big and heavy and they dont make many holsters for it so if your gunna carry it thats somthing to concider.
Its just like the CZ (which everyone seems to love) but looks better IMO
Dont get rid of your sig, look for a used BE, I got this one for under $300
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z161/tomh1426/Desreteagle.jpg

defjon
September 13, 2007, 06:41 PM
Well, in regards to what I'm trading away...I LIKE a manual safety on my guns. Just a personal preference I guess, so the BE gets a point there. Also, it fits my hand better than the Sig. It feels a lot thinner. They're both fairly heavy, but I like metal guns over plastic.

I AM surprised how poorly my SIG will get me in trade in. I bought it for 449.00, came with box, papers, and five mags. It was one of the ones made in Germany, with minimal use showing up. If I use it for a trade in, I'll take a hundred dollar loss on it.

This would be the first time I've ever traded in a solid, accurate gun that I really like! But ultimately, the Sig seems very utilitarian. Yes. I am shallow. I want to trade a workhorse in for something snazzy, but hopefully as solid.

quickcanary
September 13, 2007, 06:53 PM
defjon - if you are dead set on getting rid of the 226 (I wouldn't; especially for a mere $350) why not consider trying to sell it? You should be able to get (forgive me here) "SIG"nificantly more for it by selling it outright.

Ilovea45
September 14, 2007, 06:01 AM
I bought a 9mm Baby Eagle for my wife last year and it has performed flawlessly so far.

Almost 1000 rounds with no malfunctions.

GK

StuntManMike
September 14, 2007, 07:26 AM
I had a pair of Baby Eagles (full size and semi compact) both in 9mm. They were two of the most accurate guns I have ever owned. I only parted with them because I prefer cocked and locked so now I have CZ's. The build quality of the BE's is higher than that of the CZ's in the sense that the trigger starts smoother and there are no tool marks on the inside of the slide. I always wanted a chrome one myself.

O/U Mike
September 14, 2007, 10:36 AM
I have a semi-compact BEagle with the brushed chrome finish. The chrome finishes are much more expensive that the basic black coated models. It was my first semi-automatic handgun, and I love it. Personally, I like it better than the CZ's. It's a tack driver to boot. The ergonomics fit me perfectly. The only negative I can think of is that you can't find too many custom grips for it, and the ones from Magnum Research didn't appeal to me. I had to special order from my dealer and it cost me $639, so the price you mentioned seems pretty darn good. If you don't buy it, let me know. I may drive down to Peoria.

varoadking
September 14, 2007, 06:48 PM
I've owned one for 10 yrs, you'll have to pry it out of my hands to get it.

Arthritis?

duboy
September 17, 2007, 10:49 PM
I have the Israel Military Industries Jericho 945 in .45ACP which is the frame that the baby eagles are made from. mine is the frame mounted safety, not the slide safety. it is big, heavy and has been very very reliable, i've got about 1K rounds through it. The only issues i've had with it are some folks limp-wristing it and making it have issues feeding the next round. I love it, and i will never part with it. i paid a little over 400 for mine new about 3 years ago.

defjon
September 18, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well, I got the polished chrome BEagle.

Wow, just...wow. This is a beautiful piece! The construction is probably the best done I've ever seen. My W. German Sig had roll marks under the top of the slide, my 1976 series 70 Colt is also a little rough on the inside. This is immaculate. Also a sinch to take apart, very intuitive.

The real test of course is accuracy and reliability. I get to test that Monday hopefully. As they say, if it looks as good as it shoots...

Review to come. :)

tomh1426
September 18, 2007, 02:00 PM
And pics, we need to see some pics :cool:

jacho
September 18, 2007, 02:12 PM
I had a Baby Eagle in 9mm. It had an extemely nice trigger out of the box, was extremely accurate and reliable. I sold mine off after shooting close to 2000 rounds through it. Personally, I wouldn't trade a Sig for a BE. Parts, accessories and service are easily available for the Sig. I'm not so sure this is the case for the BE. I will say that the chromed BE does look very, very nice.

ARmasterzach
September 18, 2007, 05:55 PM
I have the polymer BE so I guess I need to get a stainless one. Or a titanium nitrade one:D

The Body Bagger
September 19, 2007, 04:28 AM
Don't do it. The 226 is a better gun. If you want a baby eagle, get a CZ 75 instead.

RevolverLover
September 19, 2007, 10:43 AM
Don't do it. The 226 is a better gun. If you want a baby eagle, get a CZ 75 instead.

He already bought it about 4 posts above yours ;)

Willie D
September 19, 2007, 11:08 AM
Trigger wise, the Sig has a smoother DA pull but I prefer the crisper SA break on the Eagle, CZ, etc.

NoLight
October 5, 2007, 09:07 PM
I have a poly and non poly full size BE both 9mm and they are great guns!!! I would not trade them for another weapon.

G&G
October 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
I had a BE 9mm. I shoot IDPA & couldn't easily get my thumb to the slide safety when I began the course of fire so I sold it. It ate everything that I fed it without any issues. I had over 1500 rounds through it. VERY Accurate.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your new addition.

defjon
October 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
I ran about 500 rounds through it so far...btw, these guns come with standard mags that hold 17 rounds, plus 1 in the chamber. Pretty cool. ANywho I needed to wring it out as I only have a few weeks warranty from the shop I purchased from (they service all the guns they sell).

This gun was FILTHY by the time I'd put over half a case of ammo through it! The muzzle of that lovely brushed chrome was black. Not a finicky eater though, just kept chugging along. My fingers were dead after only having two mags with which to burn through so many rounds, but the gun runs 100% and accuracy is on par with the sig.

Personally, I have to say the single action on the sig was smoother, and I like the sights better on the sig as well, but function was equal, the BEagle handled recoil much more smoothly, and trumps it in the sexiness area lol.

For some reason I feel that to reclaim my masculinity I must purchase a glock now...damn you, Tommy Lee Jones!

Anyway, plus 1 on the baby eagle polished chrome...its sitting in a holster on my night stand, so that is about the highest regard I can give to any gun. (previously used my smith 586).

I recommend it. Great "BBQ" gun, that also has great accuracy and function!

defjon
October 6, 2007, 06:35 PM
Can you dry fire a baby eagle 9mm?

I just dry fired mine 14.2 million times before I realized this can be bad for some guns, fine for others.

Oh god help me, aaaah. ;) Er, anyone know?

Jager78
October 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
Tough decision!
Both are excellent weapons. I am very fond of SIGs, especially the P226, but have heard alot of really good things about the Baby Eagle. I would have kept my P226 and saved up to get the Baby Eagle so as to have both.
You can't go wrong with either, they are both some of the best semi-autos on the market, next to the H&K USP.
I'm glad that he is pleased with his Eagle but I would miss my SIG.
:cool: