PDA

View Full Version : opinions on springfield mil spec

h518may
September 13, 2007, 11:19 AM
anyone out there own one? i was thinking about getting one and would like to hear about reliability, accuracy, etc. also, what are the major differences between that gun and the springfield g.i.?

Alnamvet
September 13, 2007, 12:11 PM
Mil-spec has a lowered and flared ejection prt and beveled magazine well...it's about $50.00 to $75.00 more than the GI...SA makes a great 1911, and for the money, is comparable, and in some cases, surpasses the quality of many other 1911 brands twice the cost...the barrels, slide, and frame are forged, and the number of MIM and cast parts are no more or less than 1911's costing twice as much from other manufacturers...good buy at about $500.00 or so.

MTMilitiaman
September 13, 2007, 01:31 PM
My bro has one and it has been solid. The only problems we had were with some handloads my dad cooked up. Too much slide velocity caused a few problems, but that was solved with a slightly heavier recoil spring. The thing gobbles up everything we feed it now. Sweet shooting pistol.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/M1AandMilSpec.jpg

rellascout
September 13, 2007, 01:52 PM
Nice guns priced very competitively. I prefer other makes but nothing wrong with the Springer.

I would not pay more than $500 for one. Above that price there are better options IMHO.

Alleykat
September 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
So, what would you recommend @ $510, that's significantly better than the Springer?

rellascout
September 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
Taurus 1911 ordered for about $500 plus shipping and transfer fee is stiff competition.

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/1911B1.jpg

To be honest if I were going to spend anything over $500 I would buy a Colt or a Dan Wesson.

zoomie
September 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
I've got one in blue. It's not been 100% reliable. I've mostly used WWB ammo. I know it's not premium ammo, but it's not so low end that it should induce multiple failures (at least a couple per range session). I'm going to try some nicer mags. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to trade it off. It's plenty accurate and easy to shoot. The trigger could be lighter and crisper, but it's not horrible.

rellascout
September 13, 2007, 02:28 PM
Send it back to them they will fix it. It might take a long time but they at least backup their product.

zoomie
September 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
I've thought of that. But if it gets there and they can't replicate the problem, I will have wasted the overnight FedEx costs. Right?

rellascout
September 13, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah that is he catch isn't it. I wish that all the companies worked like S&W and gave you a printable call tag label. If it is not a defect that only charge you $15 to ship it back to you.

I know what you mean it will suck to ship it there for $50 and they way works fine for us.

The option is to send it to a good smith and trick it out.

Alnamvet
September 13, 2007, 02:58 PM
...that you have to send back the Taurus and "trick it out"...never had that problem with a Springfield Mil-Spec...have one now going on 12000+ rounds with the same 2 piece barrel that everyone "raved" about without a problem...EXCEPT when I used WWB ammo...otherwise, she still runs fine...come to think of it, I've only stripped her down and cleaned her twice in the last 3 years...she runs like my Glock(s)...neglected, abused, dirty, and begs for more.

zoomie
September 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
I don't have a Taurus. I have a Mil-Spec like the OP asked about.

Rob96
September 13, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have a Mil-Spec of which I was lucky enough to find LNIB for $366. To boot it was an NM prefixed serial# gun. They come with matched frame and slide, stainless one piece barrel, stainless bushing and undercut front sight. I sent it in to the Springfield Custom Shop to get it done up for my needs. Awsome gun.

kristop64089
September 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
I have one and love it. Had it for a while(actually it's a safe queen) Put 100 rnds thru it flawlessly.

It's a procject gun so I don't care if it's being shot right now.

any how, good gun. my opinion

Sarge
September 13, 2007, 09:26 PM
I took a deep look inside a MilSpec (http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/milspec.html)about three years ago. Mine had a ratty barrel & what I would call substandard small parts. It eventually rebuilt into a real shooter, and went to a retired cop buddy in California. He reports that it is still chuggung along fine.

I also rebuilt a "Springfield Fullsize Black Stainless Loaded" for another cop pal last summer, and ran into much of the same stuff that I found in the MilSpec, although his had a two-piece barrel that shot OK.

Anytime I'm building on Springfields I just plan on an Ed Brown extractor and oversize firing pin stop. Springfield extractors often go soft in 800-100 rounds, and I have yet to see one of them that had proper bevels on it.

Springfields aren't bad guns, they just aren't finished internally to match the asking price. They do have a forged frame & slide if that matters to you. I haven't had any bad cast steel 1911 frames.

My advice is if you want a cheap gun, get a Rock. If you want a good gun for a fair price, find a used '91A1 Colt but make sure somebody hasn't butchered it before you got ahold of it. I still see them for a little over $500 in pawn shops. With the Colt you'll get the forged slide & frame, quality fire control parts, and an exceptional barrel. Plastic triggers and mainspring housings offend some folks, but they aren't expensive to replace. You'll still have a lot of gun for the money invested.

SCREAMIII2006
September 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=1

I just put one on lawaway,for $429.
It will be my first 1911 so we shall see how good they are.