PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, do we need anymore wizzin contests?

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
I've been a memeber here for a while now, and I've seen this growing trend(rather disturbing actually)

Some of the more "veteran" members don't post as much, these guys Knew their guns, and were actually very informative when it came to semi-auto handguns. A couple even helped influence my buying processes on a few times with their INFORMATIVE knowledge.

But here lately alot of the threads/posts have been pi**in matches, or derogatory, inflammatory, I'm better than you because I own this gun.

It's one thing to jest, but c'mon guys(and I'm not saying I haven't done it), some of this rhetoric is just crap.

I really like chattin here, but anymore it's like there are to many people waitin to get their digs.

We all should be on the same side of the fence, tryin to help each other make informative descisions.

Hopefully these guys return, because they really did have a bounty of useful info. If not this place may turn into another AR15.com:(

I'm done whining.:o

NCTexan
September 12, 2007, 07:04 PM
Kristop... I'm relatively new to this forum and generally read and learn vs post. I agree that many of the postings seem a little "ego" centric.

It's funny, on other boards I see similar arguments about presidential candidates or political issues... The same tit for tat.

All of this is fun as long as it's kept as fun!

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
NCTexan, welcome to the forum!:)

You're right some is for fun.

As you read you will see some of the more personnal attacks, especially geared towards intellect.

These are the same guys, that when they turned 5, got the big book of facts. And right, or wrong, to this day, they still Know-it-all!:D

When I ask about a certain gun, I'd like to here about That Gun.
Not as to why I should buy the exact gun you have, and why the one I want is a POS.

WAY TO MUCH GUN SNOBBERY lately

antsi
September 12, 2007, 07:20 PM
I think it is an internet effect.

If we were all sitting around the gunshop or range chatting, we could tell by voice tone and body language who is having a bad day, who is starting to get a little testy, who is disagreeing but still friendly, and who is just kidding. When you get those cues it's easier to know whether to keep pursuing the same subject or whether to back off.

On the internet, you don't get those cues. One guy is debating for the fun of debating, the other guy is having a crappy day and runs into someone debating his hot-button topic, neither one knows where the other is coming from, and before you know it you have a full fledged hissyfit.

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
Antsi I think your're right. Had a crappy day, instead of attacking somebody elses thread, I started my own

so...flame on

Shane Tuttle
September 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
Kristop,
I was going to PM you, but I think it would be best to eat some humble pie in public...

If I'm one to those that you describe, I apologize. I will readily admit that I'm just a regular guy that loves firearms, politics, and religion. Unfortunately, my hands are tied when it comes to the latter here. No excuses or gripes. I understand and respect the rules of it. However, I just have a hard time restraining to explain myself of my viewpoints when it's sometimes based on the subject of religion. I also have a hard time debating with people that are unreasonable. This is my very own fault and no other. I try not to come across that I'm a know-it-all or holier-than-thou. On the same token, I have a hard time biting my tongue and not calling these types of individuals out. Again, my fault for adding fuel to the fire.

Some of the more "veteran" members don't post as much, these guys Knew their guns, and were actually very informative when it came to semi-auto handguns. A couple even helped influence my buying processes on a few times with their INFORMATIVE knowledge.

IIRC, a good example of senior members that have forgotten more about firearms than I'll ever learn is Randy Cain. He briefly stated that he used to visit forums to impart some of his knowledge and under the same breath that he doesn't "frequent them" like he used to. I honestly don't know if he meant that he doesn't have the time, what you stated, or lost interest. But, my money is your reason.

It's a shame. He's a fantastic teacher...

Shane Tuttle
September 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
Just read your post after posting mine, antsi.

That's a common problem that I experience here...I'm pretty naive on internet savvy...

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
Tuttle8, your opinions are much like mine, we see eye to eye on many of the same issues.

You don't try to ram opinion as fact. and when it's your opinion you state it.

I just joined the THR site, and they have as one of thier rules. "No Hate Posts"

We here are all adults. Playground rumbles need to be left on the playground(or is this, the playground?)

Ohio Rusty
September 12, 2007, 07:51 PM
I think it would be a fabulous thing for a bunch of guys to set around and talk and show off guns, and also share truths about God and salvation. Unfortunately, the latter starts too many fights as it causes conflict. In retrospect, those are 2 of my favorite subjects to talk about, but here I'll limit it to things that go BANG. I'm always available off list to talk about the other !!
Ohio Rusty

LUPUS
September 12, 2007, 07:51 PM
No one wants to make mistakes.
No one wants to admit his/her mistakes.
No one wants hear any word which reminds him/her, his or her mistakes.
It is the natural result of social fobies and egocentrisim of humanbeing.
Let's suppose that we had a kind of mind/brain show/market that anyone could get anyones' mind or brain. I swear that everyone would have chosen his/her own. That is the nature of humanbeing which prevents him/her from going nuts, and encouraging them to live and compete with the others.
The choises, experiences and discussions about the firearms are not exceptions, since almost everyone accept their choices as the reflections of their personality on the miror of the society.
Unfortunately this is an unsolvable puzzle.
Regards

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 08:02 PM
LUPUS i think I got dizzy reading your post:)

I also go thru this battle with my wifes cousin. He believes that the guns he purchases are the ones chosen by God.

And all the rest are junk!

When asked how/why,he reached these conclusions, simply stated "because, they are junk!"

Like I said earlier, I'm also guilty of some flaming. I think I'm more aggrivated by the "drive by Bombchuckers" then the ones that can stand their ground in the battle.

Seriously, why miss heaven by an inch?, If you are going to put your foot in your mouth, don't stop at the toes, By all means, put the whole thing in.

Wildalaska
September 12, 2007, 08:23 PM
I can get testy too, and for that I am always sorry.

But really, with respect to semi autos, you guys that have Makrovs, Mars, Savages, Walthers, Brownings, Rugers, Colts, CZs, Glocks, SIGs, FNs, Steyrs, S&Ws, Davis, Jennings, Tauri, Hammerlis, Berettas, Mausers, Lugers, Stars, Rcok Rivers, Webleys or Astras have no idea of what you are talking about, since if you dont have a Type 94 you are a tyro.

WildihavespokenAlaska TM

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 08:26 PM
Can always count on WA for a little fireside humor.

sholling
September 12, 2007, 08:26 PM
I'm with you. While I enjoy the intellectual debates over caliper etc, the "god personally designed my Nimbus 2000 9mm, and that makes your WizBang 220 a complete piece of $#!%" threads I keep seeing get really really old.

NCTexan
September 12, 2007, 08:40 PM
Kristop...

Thanks for the welcome on board. I can easily see that most of the folks here have much more in common than things differing.

I believe the effect is an "internet" thing... since it gives you such a personal means of communication in an impersonal way.

It is what it is... but still this is a great place to see people that care and want to see things done right.

topspin43
September 12, 2007, 08:51 PM
Kristop:

I have more posts than you and my guns are bigger, better and shinier!:D

Seriously I have enjoyed your point of view... it's all a art of the ebb abd flow of a good forum. Posting runs in cycles. We are all still learning grasshopper.

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 08:56 PM
Topspin....

But,my wife supports, no, contributes to my habit...err...hobby:)

ATW525
September 12, 2007, 08:59 PM
We wouldn't have these problems if people would just admit the truth that my guns are the best. If I don't own it, than it's #$%* and will coninue to be #$%* until such time that I to own one. It will then become the greatest gun ever invented until such time that I get rid of it and replace it with the next gun to be the greatest gun ever invented. It's pretty simple. I don't know why you people don't get it.

kristop64089
September 12, 2007, 09:02 PM
ATW525,

Is that kinda like a fool and his money...?

ZeSpectre
September 12, 2007, 09:07 PM
I see this every year about this time on several sites (go back and follow post dates and you'll see a trend). Then cold weather hits and suddenly the "old timers" are back and things get better again for a while.

Personally I think it's because the weather is nice so a lot of us are out shootin' and then when the weather sucks we come back here to chat guns while ours are sittin in the safe due to ice/snow/wind and so forth :D

Redneckrepairs
September 12, 2007, 09:31 PM
Kris on serious stuff ( such as guns ) when i can i try and offer what i like with an explination of why i like it . take that or leave it . On politics i confess i do stur the pot a bit just because its all opinion and nothing quantifiable .

I am not one of the " old hands " here , and dont post a lot , but i agree the favigun is not for everyone , god knows my " faviguns" will suit no one but me .

Tanzer
September 12, 2007, 09:41 PM
Can always count on WA for a little fireside humor.

Especially on a full moon! Just kidding, Wild! :D
BTW - Mas ayoob has been posting again. Unfortunately, he's been catching some flack. Not just disagreement, but downright flack. I was kind of hoping that one or two guys in particular would lay into him so he could rip them a new one, but they didn't answer the post, and he has too much class to fall into it anyhow. It would have been funny though.

BoneDigger
September 12, 2007, 09:54 PM
I haven't been on this forum as long as most of you guys and gals, but I do frequent the forum and I do a LOT of searches about various guns to see how they stack-up and what MAY or MAY NOT be wrong with them. The problem, as I see it, is that there are too many people on this forum that feel like they have to comment on a gun, even if all they have is hear-say and have never owned, or even shot, said pistol. Some of the pistols I have owned by Taurus, Ruger, and Bersa have been some of the best that I have owned, but some people just can't get over bashing these brands.

The other thing that people need to remember is that unless you have either A) shot someone, or B) been shot by someone, then you have no idea how effective a particular caliber is. We can postulate about it, use geletin, use dead deer and pigs, or whatever, but the plain truth is that all of the major calibers have their place and I'd hate to be shot by ANY of them, including a .22, or in fact, even a BB gun (Been there, done that...).

However, that being said, some people bring these responses on themselves. How many Glock, XD, 1911 love/hate threads can we possibly have on one forum!?!?!?

I need a hug. I think I'll go see if my wife is still awake...

Todd

OBIWAN
September 12, 2007, 10:30 PM
Part of the problem is that most people think their own personal experience with a small sampling of weapons is statistically significant

You may have been lucky....or unlucky with your pistol/rifle/shotgun

You may shoot what seems like a LOT of rounds every year...but their is almost always someone out there that uses their weapons harder or sees a larger sample size (either in classes or dept armorer)

what we all need to do (including me) is check our egos at the door and remember that a lot of this is personal preference and VERY MUCH related to your personal situation

If someone points out that your particular pistol has a history of a certain problem then buy all means be vigilant and watch for any signs of "issues" but do not call that person a liar until/unless it becomes clear that their claim has zero basis in fact

the world would be a far better place of none of us ever posted anything we were not (personally) ready to defend

You know.,...with facts

Wildalaska
September 12, 2007, 10:44 PM
We wouldn't have these problems if people would just admit the truth that my guns are the best. If I don't own it, than it's #$%* and will coninue to be #$%* until such time that I to own one. It will then become the greatest gun ever invented until such time that I get rid of it and replace it with the next gun to be the greatest gun ever invented. It's pretty simple. I don't know why you people don't get it.

No your wrong. We wouldn't have these problems if people would just admit the truth that my guns are the best. If I don't own it, than it's #$%* and will coninue to be #$%* until such time that I to own one. It will then become the greatest gun ever invented until such time that I get rid of it and replace it with the next gun to be the greatest gun ever invented. It's pretty simple. I don't know why you people don't get it.

WildanddontyouforgetitAlaska TM

PS...the only thing better than gun wars is caliber wars. And, since I have rechambered my Seecamp to fire the new Russian FOAB, I win, even over you 45acp freakazoids:p

DonR101395
September 12, 2007, 10:47 PM
And, since I have rechambered my Seecamp to fire the new Russian FOAB, I win, even over you 45acp freakazoids

Only when you can find it:p:D:p

Officer's Match
September 12, 2007, 11:19 PM
1. Don't take stuff posted online too seriously and all goes better.
2. Believe it or not, us firearm guys are easygoing compared to musicians, like some guitar forums I used to haunt.
3. I intend to press the issue 'till all admit the superiority of Taurus PT92's. :D

Good timing Kristop, this thread was in order IMO.

Wildalaska
September 12, 2007, 11:31 PM
Only when you can find it

That hurts dude:D

WildifounditAlaska TM

LUPUS
September 13, 2007, 01:59 AM
Kristoph, I have been so much dizzy for many years while deciding which guns to choose:D. My wife cures my dizziness by pursuading me that I do not need an other gun. But of course this is a temporary relief of symptoms which will be aggrevated by seeing or shooting another brand:D.
So I really do not understand the people who are just sticked on a particular brand.
If just one brand or model of firearm had fullfilled all the criteria needed by most of the shooters meaning that it is closed to perfection, then no other models would have been offered.
Since there is not a perfect gun, so there is always some amount of place for compromise unlike some manufacturers claim, the engineers are searching for newer materials, action types, cartrigdes. I wonder why they do not just ask me to find the truth, so stop wasteing time and labor:D.
Anyway, you started a very good thread, I really enjoy to read and contribute.
Regards.

ATW525
September 13, 2007, 07:12 AM
PS...the only thing better than gun wars is caliber wars. And, since I have rechambered my Seecamp to fire the new Russian FOAB, I win, even over you 45acp freakazoids

Nice, I hear the FOAB is enviromentally friendly, too. Probably a great choice for everything from waterfowl hunting to polar bear defense.

However, I don't own one... so it sucks. Sorry.

IZinterrogator
September 13, 2007, 07:36 AM
since I have rechambered my Seecamp to fire the new Russian FOAB, I win, even over you 45acp freakazoidsHey Wild, do you have a Co-Pilot chambered in FOAB yet? If not, you guys are slacking off up there... :D

Don P
September 13, 2007, 08:43 AM
Lets all kiss and make up, sit around munching on a knish with a schmeer of mustard and a kosha dog all the way, a extra sour pickel, and a diet coke, Gotta watch my weight.:cool:

rellascout
September 13, 2007, 10:02 AM
I have been here since 2004.

I see a lot more issues now then in the past. At times I contribute to that but it seems like there is an entitlement attitude that is being displayed these days.

People don't want to discuss guns they want to tell you about the guns they own and why you need to agree with them. They do not want to discuss the real positives and negatives of a gun or accessory they are more concerned with being right.

Another thing I have noticed is that there is lot more negative generalizations being made towards groups of people, race, religion and sex these days than in the past. I think it is sad that people let them slide. It brings down the discussion.

When I see this type of stuff I just move on. Which is sad. I use to post daily now its more like weekly.

ragwd
September 13, 2007, 11:08 AM
+1 to Rellascout, I haven't been here as long as others but read here daily to learn as much as possible about some of my favorite things in life. But it seems as though alot of the threads are "my gun is better than yours". This takes alot of time to weed through to get to something worth while reading. So a question for the moderators, is this what the forum is for? Maybe because we get a higher hit count, we have these inane threads. If someone has a actual problem with a certain make and model, thats interesting but to say if its not a " your favorite brand here " it isnt any good, is a waste of time. I will be spending less and less time here looking for knowledge till sooner or later it falls off my bookmarks.

JohnKSa
September 13, 2007, 09:18 PM
When I see this type of stuff I just move on.Please don't. Instead click on this icon.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif

It's over on the lower left hand side of each post on TFL. When the window comes up, type in your explanation of why the post is offensive (or a violation of TFL rules) and hit the "Send Report" button.

No one but the forum staff will know who sent the report, and I've never seen that information disclosed.

Kowboy
September 13, 2007, 09:45 PM
ATW wrote:
"We wouldn't have these problems if people would just admit the truth that my guns are the best. If I don't own it, than it's #$%* and will coninue to be #$%* until such time that I to own one. It will then become the greatest gun ever invented until such time that I get rid of it and replace it with the next gun to be the greatest gun ever invented. It's pretty simple. I don't know why you people don't get it."

Now that was funny.

Kowboy

RevolverLover
September 13, 2007, 10:10 PM
I have been here since 2004.

I see a lot more issues now then in the past. At times I contribute to that but it seems like there is an entitlement attitude that is being displayed these days.

People don't want to discuss guns they want to tell you about the guns they own and why you need to agree with them. They do not want to discuss the real positives and negatives of a gun or accessory they are more concerned with being right.

Another thing I have noticed is that there is lot more negative generalizations being made towards groups of people, race, religion and sex these days than in the past. I think it is sad that people let them slide. It brings down the discussion.

When I see this type of stuff I just move on. Which is sad. I use to post daily now its more like weekly.

I know what your saying about not posting as much anymore because some of the threads but you should help clean up the forums of those type of posts by doing what JohnKSa has suggested and report the post. The mods here jump on the issue as soon as they can.

rellascout
September 13, 2007, 10:32 PM
I agree to an extent but I am not here to police to forums. I am here to learn and to help others learn about our love for shooting.

I am here for a helpful exchange of information not to the the thought police.

just my $.02

RevolverLover
September 13, 2007, 10:40 PM
I agree to an extent but I am not here to police to forums. I am here to learn and to help others learn about our love for shooting.

I am here for a helpful exchange of information not to the the thought police.

just my $.02

I agree with what your saying and lately the threads are making me not wanting to post as much or even visit sometimes but I really enjoy this forum and thats the only reason I try to help out when I can. Hopfully the forum starts to change how it once was.

Wildalaska
September 13, 2007, 11:46 PM

Just call me once a week, I will grant thee some knowledge directly from mine luminous lips, which thou mayest spread to all the people of the universe, who shall sing thy praises as a giver of learning.

Today thy gift shall be Taurus, mightier among others, giveth me thine Colts in exchange so that ye may have only the best whilst I cast down the evil poines into the flames of perdition, praise be my shooting bag..

WildandpayforshippingtooAlaska TM

JohnKSa
September 14, 2007, 01:25 AM
I am here for a helpful exchange of information not to the the thought police. The mod who takes the report will determine what, if any, action is to be taken. There is nothing automatic that results from a report and therefore the person making the report isn't doing anything other than bringing a possible issue (something that might be preventing or hindering the "helpful exchange of information" ;) ) to the staff's attention.

It's certainly not mandatory or even any sort of an obligation--it's just a simple way of providing feedback to the staff if you see something that concerns you.

rellascout
September 14, 2007, 10:02 AM
Just call me once a week, I will grant thee some knowledge directly from mine luminous lips, which thou mayest spread to all the people of the universe, who shall sing thy praises as a giver of learning.

Today thy gift shall be Taurus, mightier among others, giveth me thine Colts in exchange so that ye may have only the best whilst I cast down the evil poines into the flames of perdition, praise be my shooting bag..

WildandpayforshippingtooAlaska TM

Wild you are the man. An illusive sage among mortals. Unfortunately the wallet is not longer overflowing with geld. The mighty VCU hath taken all the geld. They did not even have the good manners to leave the frankincense or mer.

Plastic is no longer an option as they have been confiscated by the seeker of knowledge i.e. SO in an attempt to place shackles on my gun lust.

Knowledge you offer knowledge is all I can accept.

Creature
September 14, 2007, 10:16 AM
We all should be on the same side of the fence, tryin to help each other make informative descisions.

Forums are just that...a place to gather and disseminate information, as well as a place to debate...and sometimes, get into "wizzin' matches".

While derogatory insult slinging is frowned upon, it is the responsibility of the moderators to do just that: moderate. They are charged with give warning when warning is needed and closing a thread when it has gone too far.

I for one have gotten my hackles up on occasion, but that is the wonder of a forum for free thinkers who can say what is one their mind. Forums are NOT for the closed-minded. If the occasional "wizzin' contest" is the price we pay for a truly open arena, I will gladly put up with it.

Would you prefer it any other way?

ragwd
September 14, 2007, 11:47 AM
quote"If the occasional "wizzin' contest" is the price we pay for a truly open arena, I will gladly put up with it."

Certainly a occasional wizzin contest would be fine. Free thinking is encouraged and we all have our opinions. But if you take a closer look, it seems as though there is more wizzin than thoughtful posts. I have never found a firearm that wasn't a better shot than me. So to me they are all awesome. JMHO

jakeswensonmt
September 14, 2007, 12:22 PM
Compared to other non-firearms forums I frequent, TFL is almost boringly polite. Come to think of it, pretty much all the firearms forums are far more polite than most any other type. Maybe something about knowing that every single member of TFL or THR is also armed brings out some extra civility. Money doesn't make for good people, but maybe guns do?

Also, there always also seem to be a few on every forum who like the whizzin matches, find gratification in starting a fracas. They love it if you give them the flaming angry response that they crave. I find that they're best ignored. Don't feed a troll, and he rapidly becomes bored and moves on.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/jakeswensonmt/troll.jpg

rellascout
September 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
If the occasional "wizzin' contest" is the price we pay for a truly open arena, I will gladly put up with it."

Certainly a occasional wizzin contest would be fine. Free thinking is encouraged and we all have our opinions. But if you take a closer look, it seems as though there is more wizzin than thoughtful posts. I have never found a firearm that wasn't a better shot than me. So to me they are all awesome. JMHO

I agree with this. The number of threads that deteriorate to the wizzin level is growing.

Creature
September 14, 2007, 01:56 PM
I agree with this. The number of threads that deteriorate to the wizzin level is growing.

Okay...I'll bite. What should be done about this so called increase in "wizzin' contests"?

rellascout
September 14, 2007, 02:14 PM
Okay...I'll bite. What should be done about this so called increase in "wizzin' contests"?

I do not have the answer. I guess we could start reporting each of the offending threads but that gets old IMHO.

Other forums that I participate in like the Sig Forum abusers of the rules are lock ed down immediately. You are removed quickly if you cannot control yourself.

People need to take it upon themselves that it is a privilege to be here and be part of the community. It is not a right and we should treat that privilege that we have been granted with respect as we interact with each other.

I am not saying that I have not had/made issues. I have and will mess up in the future but it should be the exception not someones MO.

ooreach
September 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
i've had a few "interesting comments". Once I asked about making my smart carry work better. I figured out that revolvers carry better then autos with my belly, but some of the comments where " loose some weight." :rolleyes: Not that big a deal. I did get good comments and realized a way for me to carry almost anything well that way. But the point is I wasn't offended. I'm an Aux Police officer, over 14 years with guns, but i ain't no expert on anything... but my own opinion. I've had nothing but good comments from 99% of what i've read and it has helped me expand my knowledge. Someone said " In 5 years you will be exactly where you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read." I expand that to include, talk radio, newspapers and the internet.

SpectreBlofeld
September 14, 2007, 03:26 PM
::whizzes farther than anyone else here::

alright, we can end the whizzing contests.

Compared to other non-firearms forums I frequent, TFL is almost boringly polite. Come to think of it, pretty much all the firearms forums are far more polite than most any other type.

I guess an armed society really is a polite society.

Wildalaska
September 14, 2007, 04:33 PM
I figured out that revolvers carry better then autos with my belly, but some of the comments where " loose some weight."

No big deal as you say, I stand before the mirror every morning and scream that at myself. I've got it down to the point that my face contorts and spittle flies, sort of like Rosie ODonnel in a room full or normal folks.

WildiwonderiftheyhavescreechinglessonsatthedailykosconventionsAlaska TM

kristop64089
September 14, 2007, 06:02 PM
well, There are a few members here(one in particular) that really got me looking at all of this. I won't mention his/her name, I noticed he/she hasn't posted here, Could be conscious,? They are very arrogant, and in some cases down right rude.

I know this is just the INTERNET, some people can't differentiate. I know I have made bad judgments here.

What I don't think is right is how insulting, personal, and rude these posts are.

I don't get offended when somebody insults my purchases, but, I can't stand bullies. That is what these people are.

I only say this because, I sold my bro his first handgun(my old P-11). He doesn't have the finances I do, so this was a big thing to him. He was grinning ear to ear. He told someone what he got, and they "Snubbed" him. The look on his face...sucked.

So, I come here and see this over and over, someone buys an XD,HI-POINT, SIGMA, you get the drill...and they are publicly flogged.
Alot of the time people come to back them up, while the troll that chucked the bomb slips away.

We come here to DISCUSS, not insult, not self-glorify, not taunt...just discuss. If It makes you feel bigger to condescend upon people go to another forum.(I'm sure there are one or two where you won't be noticed)

Seriously folks...Grow up

quickcanary
September 14, 2007, 06:19 PM
I agree 100% kristop. A few weeks ago I was attacked by a member here for questioning a (what I thought to be) rather meaningless post. Instead of elaborating on his post, he chose to point out the fact that I "hadn't even shot a handgun until a few months ago" while he had put millions of rounds downrange during his 167 years as a LEO. :rolleyes: Guess what? We all started somewhere. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained here, which is why I visit this site, but just because you're experienced doesn't make all of your opinions valid, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm going to take everything you say as gospel.

I don't spout off about things I truly don't know about and try to pass it on as fact. A lot of times I'll qualify a statement as originating from something I've read or heard. If it's wrong, feel free to correct me on it, but don't insult me. It's inappropriate, distasteful, and just makes you look condescending. But apparently a lot of folks are fine with that.

Wildalaska
September 14, 2007, 06:27 PM
So, I come here and see this over and over, someone buys an XD,HI-POINT, SIGMA, you get the drill...and they are publicly flogged.

Thats why people buy those guns :)

WildmydominatrixmakesmescreamiamawormiownahipointoverandoveragainAlaska TM

Alnamvet
September 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
...claiming ownership of a Sigma, Hi-Point, or an XD for that matter will definitely get you an "Internet Arse Whoopin'"...try extolling the vitues of these "weapons" on Lightfighter Tactical or 1911.org forums and see what you get.:)

Whew....this was the longest wiz I ever had...zipped up and good to go...have we all kissed and made up yet?

kristop64089
September 14, 2007, 06:40 PM
WA, if you want I can send my wife(we call her the mistress of pain) to ya for a week or so...

Just kiddin...

or am I?

Don Lu
September 14, 2007, 07:31 PM
Just found this thread. I agree, I gets so lame to see these wiz contest. Ive been involved in a couple but usually on what I like to think of as the good side. its seems like some people thrive off of the opporunity to pound someone into the ground for whatever reason. If there is a real right or wrong answer, it should be know. But when people get bashed and degraded b/c of there opinion, likes and own expiriences its kinda sad. I enjoy the exchange of ideas and info but wouldnt mind seeing less of the non-sensical stuff.

Playboypenguin
September 14, 2007, 07:42 PM
I myself have actually cut down how much I read the boards and post myself. I think I just started to experience what most liberal-leaning gun owners have experienced. The fact that alot of the more vocal gun owners also happen to be either hard core right wingers or hard core christians and seem to be really reluctant to accept any common ground with anyone that does not adhere strictly to their narrow ideals of how a person should, think, act, worship and vote. They seem determined to focus on differences instead of things they have in common with others.

I also got a little tired of all the constant demo/liberal-bashing...as if six years of total republican/neo-con rule did any good what-so-ever for the common man. It just gets to where it is no longer worth getting yourself riled up by visiting the boards. Even if you avoid the political area, you still have to browse through tons of inciteful retoric in thread titles every time you select to see all the new posts.

Black Adder LXX
September 14, 2007, 08:25 PM
I myself have actually cut down how much I read the boards and post myself.

Me too. I've been flamed pretty good and watched a lot of people get flamed, enough to think, 'why do I do this?'. The anonymity of the internet gives folks the cojones to say and act how they never would in public...

Seriously, the only thing that keeps me tuned in is WildwaytoofunnynottoreadeverychanceigetAlaska's (TM) parenthetical run-on sentences in his sig line and pictures of Playboypenguin's collection.

BlondieStomp
September 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
I also got a little tired of all the constant demo/liberal-bashing...as if six years of total republican/neo-con rule did any good what-so-ever for the common man

It's going to be ironically hilarious when you get flamed in this thread.

Don Lu
September 14, 2007, 09:34 PM
Playboy, If I could be so eliquent (sp?) as you I would have said the same thing...My thoughts exactly !!

Don Lu
September 14, 2007, 09:42 PM
It's going to be ironically hilarious when you get flamed in this thread

I dont think he will get flamed..for the most part, the guilty have not contributed to this thread.

Wildalaska
September 14, 2007, 10:51 PM
Palyboy...come back...come back...I miss you sob sob sob

WildimlonelyhereatthetopAlaska TM

BlondieStomp
September 15, 2007, 03:55 AM
I dont think he will get flamed..for the most part, the guilty have not contributed to this thread.

This is true. Mostly.

kristop64089
September 15, 2007, 07:28 AM
Don is correct. Three pags of this thread, And...the guilty have not shown.

CarbineCaleb
September 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
It just gets to where it is no longer worth getting yourself riled up by visiting the boards. Even if you avoid the political area
It's not just the democrat bashing - it's also the anti-government loons that recurrently air fantasies of shooting ATF agents, FBI agents, and police in their rants that cured me of the general forums long ago. The equipment forums are by comparison sane and tame.

I do think it's good to discuss the inappropriateness of 'elitism' in the equipment forums, as it does tick me off as well. But I will say, you see the same thing in boating and photography forums which I also belong to... certain folks will always talk trash because they think they have *the* toys to have and believe that makes them superior beings :rolleyes: :p.

But fortunately, there are also always knowledgeable and reasonable folks on TFL as on other forums, that can give you a laugh or teach you something useful, and you can also help someone else the same way. That's why I still come now and then.