PDA

View Full Version : Replaceable backstraps on poly-guns...any problems?

seeker_two
September 12, 2007, 11:34 AM
While pistol shopping, I've been hesitant to consider any of the polymer pistols with the interchangeable backstraps (sigPro, Walther P99, M&P). IMHO, I just thought it was one more part to lose at the worst possible time to make the pistol unshootable. That was...until I watched last week's Guns & Ammo TV episode where those fiends put a M&P in a cement mixer with a couple shovelfuls of gravel. I was certain that the backstrap would separate and disintegrate. But I was suprised to see that it held up well.

Has anyone here had any problems with these type of guns? Does the grip/backstrap stay in place without problem? Any model better than the other?

Many thanks.... :D

pesta2
September 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
I have and M&P compact. The back strap has a removal pin that holds it on. The pin turns 90 degrees to unlock it, and then you pull it out to remove it. The pin is kind of tuff to remove, as in being tight. The back straps are tight and do no not wiggle a bit. I have had grips on autos wiggle more and have been loser even when tight. I have a P90 Ruger that was lose that I traded.

hoytinak
September 12, 2007, 01:29 PM
I've never had a problem with the one's on my HK P2000SK or my Walther P22 coming lose or moving. They don't feel any different than a solid grip.

JohnKSa
September 13, 2007, 01:34 AM
I've swapped the backstrap on my wife's PX4 and I think I can say with some level of confidence that it's not going to come off accidentally! :o

hoytinak
September 13, 2007, 02:31 AM
I've swapped the backstrap on my wife's PX4 and I think I can say with some level of confidence that it's not going to come off accidentally!
Tough time getting it off and back on? :D

Just like John said...don't worry about it coming off accidentally, sometimes they can be a pita to get off on purpose.

Officer's Match
September 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
The backstrap on the M&P was one of my favorite features of that line. eventually I'll probably have at least one.

ragwd
September 13, 2007, 10:49 AM
Replaceable back straps are a good thing. Allows a different fit for different hands, worked great for me on my Walther P99. Never felt loose or any else but a solid grip. Easy to swap.

Alleykat
September 13, 2007, 10:58 AM
Doesn't seem logical to me that major handgun manufacturers would produce removable backstraps that weren't reliable.

JohnKSa
September 13, 2007, 09:22 PM
Tough time getting it off and back on?The backstrap itself was very easy to remove and reinstall once the retaining clip had been removed.

The retaining clip on the other hand... :eek: Thought I was going to break something before it finally let go.

DennisD
September 14, 2007, 01:58 PM
It wouldn't be a reliability issue any way. Even with the backstrap off the M&P it is still shootable.

Effy
September 14, 2007, 02:15 PM
No problems with mine (MP9). The frame tool is tough to remove with just your fingers. I use a pair of pliers with a rag so I don't scratch anything and it's easy. Just turn 90 degrees and tug and it comes right out. I've tried all the grips and none have been loose at all. A great feature, I'm sure we'll see on more semiauto pistols in the future. I wouldn't hesitate buying a pistol with this feature. In fact, I'd recommend it.

Ciao,
Effy