PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Graphite as a Gun Lubricant

SpectreBlofeld
September 11, 2007, 02:59 PM
After searching the board and the Internet in general I haven't yet found a clear answer to this question:

Is powered graphite lubricant a suitable pistol lubricant?

It has the appeal of not stickily attracting dust, lint, gunpowder, flies, stinkbugs, etc :p

As well as not gumming up in cold weather.

I figure if it's good enough for locks, small gears, etc I don't see why it wouldn't work in a pistol...

Anyone use it? Any disadvantages?

sholling
September 11, 2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not a fan but it might be useful in a stainless or coated weapon. The problem is that graphite is only a lubricant at low speeds. At high speeds it becomes an abrasive. I'm not sure whether slide movement is fast enough to make it act like an abrasive or not. It also does nothing to block rust.

davlandrum
September 11, 2007, 04:21 PM
I am having a heck of a time finding the stuff for another project - I have tried auto parts stores, hardware stores, big box stores....I use to use in when I was a kid on skateboard wheels (my kids will probably insist the wheels were carved out of stone...), but now just can't find it locally.

SpectreBlofeld
September 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
I have a tube that I've literally had since I used it to lube the wheels on my pinewood derby car, as a cub scout :)

HammerBite
September 11, 2007, 05:02 PM
Go to the Detailed properties section of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite) Wikipedia article for reasons not to use graphite in guns. Don't bother repeating the "Wikipedia is unreliable" argument to me. Gun discussion boards aren't exactly free of B.S.

As far as I can see, graphite, being particulate matter, isn't all that different from other fouling. I don't know how its lubricity stands up after being mixed with all the other crud that develops in a gun.

SpectreBlofeld
September 11, 2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks...

Hornett
September 11, 2007, 06:11 PM
I am having a heck of a time finding the stuff for another project Find a boy scout.
Pinewood derby races are alive and well.
I usually could find some at a hobby store.

johnbt
September 12, 2007, 08:13 AM
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/lubricants.html

"Graphite powder, although it is an excellent dry lubricant, has been shown to be corrosive to aluminum when there is possibility of moisture being present. Consequently, the USAF banned the use of Graphite lubricants on any USAF aircraft, several years ago. While graphite was the standard when the Speed Graphics [cameras] were now, there is now a much better alternative: Molybdenum disulfide powder "

And it's filthy.

John

Hornett
September 12, 2007, 09:21 AM
Molybdenum disulfide is so good it's illegal for use in most Pinewood Derbys. :D