PDA

View Full Version : Model 908

33bjones
September 11, 2007, 12:52 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new here and just wanted to get things started. I have a S&W Model 908 that my husband gave me for shooting targets. I eventually want to carry a handgun for protection. Any inputs appreciated.

nemesis
September 11, 2007, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

You made a good choice in a gun to start with and should only get better with practice.

33bjones
September 11, 2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragment. I've been shooting a few times, nothing to challenging just paper targets at 50 yards. Do you think the 908 would be good for concealing down the line?

tshadow6
September 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
If I remember correctly, the 908 is the budget minded single stack 9mm. I believe it would be fine for concealed carry. A wide variety of concealed carry purses are available. Check with the larger holster companies for holsters designed for women.

18DAI
September 11, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum :).

I have the 910, which is the double stack version of the 908, and the 3913, which is similar, with a few extra bells and whistles.

My 3913 is my most carried handgun. Light weight, easily concealed, boringly reliable, accurate, and eats everything. Did i mention it's reliable?

The 910 has been exactly like my 3913, reliable and accurate, but more a duty size pistol.

Your 908 is an excellent CCW single stack 9mm, IMHO of course. It should serve you well. Regards 18DAI.

33bjones
September 11, 2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. It's good to know that my 908 will be a good concealed. I'm looking forward to getting more into shooting. Next week I may be trying my hand at trapshooting. We'll see how all of that goes, for now I'm still intriqued with my 908

rdebert
September 12, 2007, 08:01 PM
The 908 is a single stack 9mm therefore it is flat, very easy to carry and conceal, good grip size for people like me with smaller than average hands. Mine is very accurate. Hogue grips (usually listed for the 3913 model) will soften the grip and recoil. Solid choice in my opinion.

DennisD
September 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
I've got well over 2,000 rounds through mine. Only thing I have done is replace the plastic guide rod with a steel one from the 3913. This was not necessary I just did it for durability. I like steel.

It shoots much more accurately than me!! I have carried it many times but not lately. I have chosen to use carry guns with passive safeties. I don't always carry the same gun, so I want them all to work the same; draw and pull the trigger. Less to think about if it hits the fan. I still enjoy plinking with the 908 however.

If you will carry only one gun then practice (with an empty gun of course) drawing and releasing the safety until you can do it in your sleep. It's called muscle memory; you don't want to have to think about how to use it if were to ever become necessary.

The 908 is an under rated model; great for plinking and a good tool if needed.

pitbulldog76
January 8, 2008, 12:40 PM
My wife carries a 908 in her purse for 3 years now and loves it. shots true and very dependable how ever the only ammo that ever gets jammed in itis wolf 9mm steel case so try to stick with brass.

Hook686
January 8, 2008, 06:29 PM
I think the S&W single stack 9mm is a fine concealed carry pistol.

I am surprised that you practice at 50 yards. Here I thought my 25 yard practice was stretching the concept of concealed carry a tad. Good luck with your practice. I carry 147 grain JHP and practice with 147 grain Plated Hollow Point.

S&W makes a real fine pistol. Welcome

SW40F
January 9, 2008, 07:32 AM
I have a S&W Model 908 ...I eventually want to carry a handgun for protection. As other have said, you already have it! :D Keep shooting, build your proficiency, and generally get comfortable with it.

Do check out www.corneredcat.com for some good reading on guns, carry methods and a whole lot more.