PDA

View Full Version : Need an M&P Compact holster.

pesta2
September 10, 2007, 09:12 AM
I have been looking for a holster for my S&W M&P .40 compact. They are hard to find since the handgun line is fairly new.

So Saturday I drove to PA (here in Northern WV there is no good place to buy a Holster.) First stop was Gander Mountain. First time in Gander and was very unimpressed. There had a nice selection of firearms but lacked on the accessories side. They did not have very much ammunition for SD. I looked over the Holsters and not one for M&P’s at all. Thier holster selection as not that extensive anyways.

Then I stopped at ACES. Aces is a smaller gun shop but they have a larger selection of Firearms and holsters than Gander. They had one thing a Galco I think. It said “M&P .40S&W”. So I had them take a Compact from a counter and try it in the holster. Well it was about and inch to long, I assumed made for the full size so I passed on it.

Plus they made me kind of mad. A young guy maybe 18-20 was asking if they have any heavy barrels .308 for long range shooting. So instead of being helpful to him the just kind of messed with him since you could tell he did not know much. So I walked away to look at holster then returned to the counter area to look at ammunition. Then the guy asked “what is a good round for long distant shooting in .380.” One worker asked “target of hunting.” The young guy said mostly target. So the one guy yells to the other guy and says “what is a good round for long distant .308” other guys says “how far” The other guys says “way out there he wants to shot far”, even though the young man did not mention how far he wanted to shot at all. They just kept playing back and forth with him yelling stupid questions at each other. The one guys said “.300 mag.” So I look at the young guy said “.308 Gold Metal Match Cartridges are good” then I left. I hate when gun store people try to be cocky with new people and try not to actually help them.

Ok back to the holster, sorry about the little rant there.

Since I can not find a holster any place around here Steph offered to buy me a Desantis. They are the same price on the S&W web site as Desantis, the Smith one has their logo on it is the only difference. Any one have a Desantis and like it? Anyone know of a M&P compact holster cheaper that the $70. I want an OWB and preferably leather.

lafd04
September 10, 2007, 09:24 PM
http://ubgholsters.com

His holsters are a bit less but not much then the one your looking at. He does make them for the compacts though. As to his quality I can't say as I just ordered mine not an hour before making this post, but from the pics they seem good. They also had the rake, and style I wanted for the mp compact because your right there is nothing out there.

AZGlock13
September 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
I have a M&P .40 Compact as well (great gun). When I first brought home my M&P compact, I decided to try it in some of my existing holsters (all my holsters are IWB Kydex type, don't have any leather holsters (except for my S&W Model 65-3)) just to see how close it would fit in any of them. What I found is that it fit almost perfectly in my G30 and G29 holsters (just had to tighten down the holster's retention screws a little bit more than how they were set with my G29 and G30 in them), so I ended up ordering another G29/G30 Kydex IWB holster for it. It works great for me (like it was make specifically for it). Now, a leather G29/G30 holster might be a different story on how it fits and retains a M&P compact (might not be good enough). I would definitely take your M&P compact down to a local gun store and try it out in a leather G29/G30 holster first for proper fit and retention, before ordering one off the web and finding out the hard way that it doesn't fit like you would like (and blaming me :p) Hope this helps.

Mags
September 11, 2007, 03:35 PM
I have an M&P 40c and its great. I bought the one on the S&W website, the Desantis leather with the S&W logo embossed on it. I really like it. It fits nice and tight to the body. Great for carry and concealment.I dont think your would be dissapointed in it. I just orderd a Milt Sparks IWB for my 40c but have to wait about 20-26 weeks for it!!

Black Adder LXX
September 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm in the same boat. Check this out from the M&P forum:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6063

Mags
September 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
The Don Hume looks nice. They mention that Ctac quite a bit. Never sen one, but plastic holsters do nothing for me.

Black Adder LXX
September 11, 2007, 05:32 PM
i just had the Don Hume come in. It looks nice, I'm going to 'size' it as suggested in that link tomorrow...