PDA

View Full Version : Alloy frames for Glock

VUPDblue
September 9, 2007, 09:50 PM
I got my Blue Press in the mail today. There was an add for alloy frames for glock pistols. I haven't got a chance to surf to that website just yet, but have any of you heard of this? An alloy frame for a Glock would make Gaston cry. :eek:

ATW525
September 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
I've seen the website for the company that does this a while back, and I never quite understood the point. Why would you buy a Glock and then get an alloy frame for it, when there's so many excellent alloy framed handguns already? You could likely get a CZ P-01 for much cheaper than it will cost to go this route, and unlike the Glock, the CZ was actually designed for a rigid alloy frame to begin with.

FirstFreedom
September 9, 2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, that's a head-scratcher, all right. Those have been available for several years. You can also get different uppers, too, so your "glock" isn't really even a glock.

Axion
September 9, 2007, 11:01 PM
I can see zero point in buying an alloy frame for a Glock. First off Glocks polymer frames are high quality, secondly for the price of a new Glock plus an alloy frame you could have bought a Sig.

Silentarmy
September 10, 2007, 12:49 AM
CCF Raceframes! I ordered the Stainless for a Glock 22 so I could Chrome it! Thought it would make a Beautiful custom. They are consideranly heavier than polymer for those "metal Gun" people. You can get them in the 1911 grip angle if you are a cripple to Change. I will post pics when I get it back from Quality Plating.
Funny how with a nearly unlimited gun Budget, I don't own One SIG!

LUPUS
September 10, 2007, 02:27 AM
I suppose the reason for that route is the shooters who like the manual of arms, trigger reset and feel of the Glock, but do not like the polymer feel, weight distribution, grip shape / angle of the pistol.
Best.

FS2K
September 10, 2007, 04:33 AM
That was one of their main selling points.

Silvanus
September 10, 2007, 05:18 AM
I was told that they are for some kind of competition shooting. The gun recoils less because it's heavier and it's probably easier to hold it steady for accurate shooting.

Cremon
September 10, 2007, 06:43 AM
The gun recoils less because it's heavier and it's probably easier to hold it steady for accurate shooting.

That would be the only point I could see to getting a metal frame for a Glock. The gun is designed to have a plastic frame and works well with it. But a metal frame would decrease the felt recoil.

dwatts47
September 10, 2007, 08:22 AM
Though I love the G-lock as it comes (Got 4 of em). I will be odering a CCF race frame for one of my 17s. Don't need the 1911 grip angle, but my 2nd gen, no rail frame can gather dust while I add a carver mount/aimpoint sight and grip tape to this one for a race gun. Plus I love the longer slide rails and hollowed out mag release button.

Rimrod
September 10, 2007, 09:09 AM
They are for raceguns. I think the metal is probably better for attaching all the optic sight mounts, wings and other crap that they just have to have.;)

It might not work too well to drill and tap plastic.

As Glock buys and sells their competition team members that are very likely used to shooting a 1911 based gun, it would help them transition if the grip felt the same.

Makes sense to me.

JohnKSa
September 10, 2007, 11:33 PM
The Aluminum frames also have a conventional grip angle.I believe that all the frames have a changeable backstrap that allows you to select your preferred grip angle.

hoytinak
September 11, 2007, 02:35 AM
I just think it's funny that with all the Glock aftermarket parts out there, you can own a Glock with not one Glock part to it.

SpookBoy
September 11, 2007, 06:20 AM
I just think it's funny that with all the Glock aftermarket parts out there, you can own a Glock with not one Glock part to it.
they already make that its called a sigma! j/k to all you s&w fans;)

Ocraknife
September 11, 2007, 08:06 AM
Funny how with a nearly unlimited gun Budget, I don't own One SIG!

I think I'd find a way to exhaust even an unlimited budget.:o

SpookBoy
September 11, 2007, 08:42 AM
http://www.shootingindustry.com/0507Col/OD3.jpg

RockyMtnTactical
September 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
I like my polymer Glocks, wouldn't want them any other way. :)

MythBuster
September 11, 2007, 04:45 PM
"The Aluminum frames also have a conventional grip angle"

Tell us exactly what is a "conventional grip angle" and what pistols have this angle.

IdahoG36
September 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
Tell us exactly what is a "conventional grip angle" and what pistols have this angle.
There have been numerous studies by firearms manufacturers to find a grip angle that most people feel comfortable with. I believe it was an eleven degree grip angle that was the most prefered. This just happens to be the same grip angle of a 1911, which was created long before firearm manufacturers studied these types of things. GLOCK's are great pistols, but quite a few people feel that the grip angle is too extreme. These alloy frames have the same grip angle as a 1911.

MythBuster
September 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
The "correct" grip angle is whatever you are used to.

Night Watch
September 11, 2007, 08:13 PM
:cool: There ARE benefits: (And, yes, they've already been extensively tested!)

Here's what the manufacturer lists as improved features on the various metal frames that CCF Raceframes supplies:

(1) Two interchangeable backstraps; one provides an exact 1911 grip angle

(2) Higher cut beavertail and front strap permit a handgrip that is closer to bore axis

(3) Longer, thicker, and stronger slide rails offer increased durability and reliability

(4) Stronger frame integrity with enhanced frontstrap and backstrap checkering

(5) Finger memory grooves have been eliminated

(6) Rounded and more open traditional triggerguard accommodates gloved hands while eliminating trigger pinch points

(7) Zero frame flex results in a significantly cleaner, crisper, trigger pull with no, ‘rough spots’

(8) Increased frame weight(s) greatly improves recoil control
Weight increases are, aluminum = 7.3 oz; titanium = 12 oz; and stainless steel = 21 oz.

(9) More robust 1913 Picatinny rail system

(10) Beveled mouth on magazine well

(11) Interior frame magazine walls are perfectly straight and correctly tapered – Not, ‘bottle shaped’ as is common with polymer frames. (‘Bottle shaped magazine frame walls are characteristic of polymer when it cools after being ejection molded.)

(12) Fully loaded new Glock magazines drop free

(13) The metal frame tolerates and enhances occasional weapon strikes

(14) An optional thumb safety is available.

The moment CCF RaceFrames offers an all steel frame for a G-21, I will buy two of them!

;)

RsqVet
September 12, 2007, 12:20 AM
I'M in if they make one for the G20... I was tempted but a heavy 9mm is not appealing... had that all steel sig P226... sold it, if I carry that weight I carry 45, same for the Steel 229 which would be the same as a metal Glock 40..

denfoote
September 12, 2007, 03:58 AM
This product provides an important mechanism wherein Glock haters can own one, yet still feel good about themselves.