PDA

View Full Version : Unertl 1911

Jason_G
September 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
Anyone own one? Good (as in worth the price)? How do they stack up to Ed Brown, Wilson, etc. ? It's not like I have money for any of them, but I am curious.

Jason

RsqVet
September 9, 2007, 08:21 PM
Don't own one, own Ed Brown 1911's, had a sig GSR, I have examined a few of them here at a shop.... frankly I think they are over-priced for what they are, I mean it's a Caspian frame, with name brand parts built up by exactly WHO? And it should be worth so much more than the dealer price for all those parts exactly why?

I do like the Unertal sights and if I built up a custom gun I'd consider getting a pair. And if I ever buy a Barrett I'd love an unertal scope, but their 1911 jsut seems liek so much hype and marketing... kind of like Sure-fire's very expensive line of knives which are ebtter than a 130 dollar benchmade why? (and not as good as a Sebenza though they cost close to the same)

A Baer or Brown gun in the price range of 1600-2200 offers most all of what anyone could want in a 1911 and in my opinion is money well spendt in terms of quality and reliability..... esp. when you compare them to say a 1200 dollar "custom shop" gun from a big maker.

Past this price point, I don't honeslty know what you are buying other than bragging rights or a diffirent name...

Rimrod
September 10, 2007, 09:17 AM
Is that the same company that makes the steel toys?

RsqVet
September 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
No, not the place that makes steel toys.

You can see the website here:

http://www.unertloptics.com/

Rimrod
September 10, 2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks RsqVet, Now I know where I heard that name before, the scope people. I don't remember the name of the toy company I had that confused with, they made steel replica tractors, trucks and etc. I wasn't trying to be funny but since everone is making 1911s now it didn't seem too unrealistic.

It's tough getting old.

RsqVet
September 10, 2007, 07:17 PM
LOL ---

Yeah with todays muti-nationals who knows.... I saw something about Houghe (sp), as in the grip people making an over-molded toilet seat....

I go to a fair amount of surplus sales and places and one of my perhaps pipe dreams is finding some unertal scopes cheap... hey you never know.... I missed a very good camera one because I hesitated.

BTW I think they first got into the 1911 thing when MEUSOG was looking for 1911's (and I'm assuming they priced them acordingly) but as we know Kimber did that contract.... this is the recollection of somethign that I heard so don't quote me on it...

Rimrod
September 10, 2007, 08:01 PM
I had seen a couple of Unertl scopes on used rifles once in WVA., they were far from cheap though.

IdahoG36
September 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
The last I saw, I believe their 1911's were in the $2500 range. I would probably buy a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown for that kind of money.

Jason_G
September 11, 2007, 08:13 PM
The last I saw, I believe their 1911's were in the $2500 range. I would probably buy a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown for that kind of money.
That's what I was thinking, but I had never really heard too many folks mention them before. It kinda stoked my curiosity.

Jason

IdahoG36
September 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
I looked yesterday and found that their commander sized 1911 retailed for $2195.