PDA

View Full Version : Would Stainless Scratch the Itch?!

defjon
September 9, 2007, 04:06 PM
This will sound shallow and slightly idiotic, but I really really want a shiny 1911. I love my old blued colt from 1976, but it needs a spiffy mate! I have been keeping on eyes open, but I don't want to order a gun off the internet. I like buying something I can hold and check out, you know.

Anyway, I can't find a blasted nickle or chrome 1911 ANYWHERE! There is a gunstore near me with 20,000 used guns...and they just don't have anything like that in a 1911!

I found a nice brand new Springfield Mil-spec for $539.00, and the stainless seems very well done. The safety and slide run pretty stiff. Probably just because it is new and still packed with whatever the factory uses for lubrication. The grips are rather atrocious...but that is a simple fix, I'm thinking black pearlite maybe...

But do you lot think a Stainless would scratch the itch for something chrome or nickled? Kind of a weird question, I know...but I would hate to buy the stainless, fix it up, and then wish I'd waited for that ever elusive chromed out pistol! Also, is $539.00 a good price? It seems reasonable. But what do I know? The gun itself seemed solid and just a bit too stiff and needing broken in :). I also handled a blued RIA, which honestly- felt a little better in the hand.

What's the verdict?

defjon
September 9, 2007, 04:51 PM
Why must everyone neglect to answer me, i mean, this is a serious crisis folks! :)

Impreza
September 9, 2007, 05:19 PM
You could always polish it with a dremel to a mirror finish.

DoItRight
September 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
I realize that you don't want to buy off the Internet but there are some pretty reputable places out there that won't rip you off.

If you want the gun that badly, I'd suggest you go to www.budsgunshop.com and take a look at their inventory.

I've done business with them and have nothing but good things to report.