PDA

View Full Version : what's best for ckeaning residue from polymer frame working parts?

daddySEAL
September 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
Please?
Some areas are very hard to get too.

What do you guys use to clean and lube them , please?

dwatts47
September 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
Honestly, when I'm deep cleaning a polymer pistol( HK or Glock for me)

I detail strip it to remove all small parts and clean with warm water and soap.
I've yet to find a cleaner that doesn't discolor slightly yet. Hoppe's no 9 is about the best, but I've found that a week later my first round in the mag is still wet from the stuff seeping out of my firing pin channel... pass on that.

The water drys and you're left with a clean piece of polymer to lightly lube and reasemble.

ZeSpectre
September 10, 2007, 11:15 AM
4 to 1 mix of hot water and simple green.

kat1950
September 10, 2007, 11:25 AM
I through my glocks, hk's, in bucket with mineral spirits after shooting for an hour, dry off then lube.Then again I'm not the average person.

tsix
September 10, 2007, 03:37 PM
+1 to dwatts47...soap and hot water, cept I don't do the detail strip, just field strip for me. Dunk it in the sink and slosh it around a bit. Give it blow from an air can or air compressor if you want to speed up drying time.

JohnKSa
September 10, 2007, 11:36 PM
Hoppe's no 9 is about the best, but I've found that a week later my first round in the mag is still wet from the stuff seeping out of my firing pin channel... pass on that. This is a recipe for a gun that goes "click" when you want it to go "bang".

There should NEVER be anything wet in the firing pin channel. If you get solvent in there during a cleaning, you need to either strip the slide and remove the solvent or spray enough degreaser into the firing pin channel to remove any remaining solvent and then allow the degreaser to evaporate completely before reassembling the gun.

skeeter1
September 11, 2007, 01:31 AM
I haven't tried it on everything, so use caution, but the best solvent I'm found for getting rid of gummy residue is Zippo lighter fluid. It disolves crud as well as anything, and it hasn't harmed any of the plastics I've tried it on yet. It also evaporates readily.

Whirlwind06
September 11, 2007, 07:22 AM
CLP break free seems to work pretty good.

Bonstrosity
September 11, 2007, 09:46 AM
If you guys have tried gun scrubber, that works well and there is a cheap replacement for it. If you go to the auto parts store and get non-chlorinated brake cleaner it works just as well. I have used it on my glock without any warpage. This stuff instantly takes off all the gunk. Make sure it's non-chlorinated though.

Alnamvet
September 11, 2007, 01:32 PM
Gunzilla...#1 gun cleaner in the sandbox, the 'stan, and used exclusively by the Coast Guard.

www.topduckproducts.com

Tell 'em Uncle Al sent ya'