PDA

View Full Version : P95 trouble

doakes5
September 9, 2007, 07:44 AM
I have a Ruger P95. I have had it apart 20+ times now. This last time I put it back together and the barrel and recoil pint are sticking out the front of the gun about 1.5 ". it looks to me that the recoil pin is wedged in there but I have no idea how to clear this since the gun will not come back apart. Obviously I am new at this gun thing so any help would be great . Ruger tells me they willgetg a tech to call me in a few minutes, but that was 5 days ago.:eek:

Pops 1
September 9, 2007, 07:54 AM
Go to thre Ruger Forum.net and post ? For Coffee Pot, he can help you. He is retired service manager for Ruger. Pops

rantingredneck
September 9, 2007, 08:03 AM
OK here's what you've done....

When you reassembled your pistol the recoil spring guide rod was slightly out of alignment, but you pretty much forced it together anyway. This is easy enough to do on the P90 model and later. (for different reasons as the P90 has a different type guide rod, but I digress) So the camblock assembly at the base of your guide rod is off kilter and is now wedged in tight.

Here's what to do.......

Take your gun and put it in a well-padded vise. Take a rubber mallet and GENTLY tap sideways on the end of your guide rod, first one way then the other. This will loosen things up to the point where it will release your off kilter guide rod. If tapping it doesn't work, take some padded vise grips and grab the part of the guide rod that is sticking out and try to deflect it sideways and back into alignment. Again, proceed with caution and don't use too much force.

JohnKSa
September 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
The other possibility is that the ejector has flipped back to the up position which will tie up the gun if it's partially assembled.

rantingredneck
September 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
That's possible too. I was betting on the guide rod being hung up out of alignment because of what he said about the guide rod sticking out though. I almost did the same thing with my P90 once, but I didn't get far enough to get it well and truly stuck. There was another guy either here or at THR that did the same thing with his P95 recently and the vise and mallet thing worked for him (or maybe he used vise grips).

One thing I love about the P89 over the 90 is that little nipple that sticks out the end of the guide rod and makes it near impossible to assemble it out of alignment.