PDA

View Full Version : Used walther ppk

beaver
September 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
saw a used stainless walther ppk for $419.00 gun looks to be in good shape is this a fair price. i like the looks just not sure about the caliber .380

SpookBoy
September 8, 2007, 03:47 PM
whats your question?If your asking if its a good price then the answer is most definately, & about the cal. .380 or 9x17mm was the standard for police in europe for over 30 years. Compare it to the .38 for american law enforcement,as far as years in service. and the standard for measurement.

chewie
September 8, 2007, 04:06 PM
That's a very fair price for a PPK in good condition. As far as caliber, it's an often hotly debated topic on this and other forums. I've got no problems with the .380. Others will say that 9mm or .38 is the minimum. I say if you like the gun then don't worry about caliber and just practice alot.

Hope that helped.

beaver
September 8, 2007, 04:57 PM
sorry about the dual questions more interested in price, caliber issue was just my fingers rambling

michael t
September 8, 2007, 05:48 PM
I agree on price. As for 380 well in a PPK/S ,Corbon DPX or 90grHP will improve the 380 a lot. A 9mm it will never be but not as weak as people belive it to be.

pogo2
September 8, 2007, 07:16 PM
I believe the price you mentioned is fair for a stainless PPK. Is it the new S&W version or the old Interarms model? I saw one in good condition sell at my local gun store for $400 recently.

I bought a blued one (Interarms model) several years ago for $350. I use it for an occasional range shooter and novelty, as I think the caliber is a little light for defense when 9mm guns of similar size are available. Mine has been reliable and accurate, however.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/WaltherPPK15.jpg

PSP
September 8, 2007, 07:39 PM
I recently purchased a Interarms PPK/S in almost perfect condition for $335 shipped plus $23 for the FFl transfer for a total of $358. I've seen these new lately for $449. The .380 round is lethal, what more do you want?

SouthCentral
September 9, 2007, 04:31 AM
I have a pre-ban 1968 Ulm manufactured (all serial#'s match, all the proper armourer's stamping). I'm not a gun trader but certainly put it's condition at 95+ (outside) and internally no naked eye sign of wear. I paid considerably more than the prices mentioned but I wanted a German manufactured model.
No regrets.

SouthCentral

Tom2
September 9, 2007, 07:21 AM
They are seductive little pistols and I have owned both 380 in SS and blued 32 from Germany etc. Kinda fun to shoot and have but before you take it to the range, just go ahead and put a bandaid on the web of your shooting hand ahead of time. Assuming it is not new production with the longer tang on the rear from S&W. I got rid of mine. All I have is a surplus CZ 70 in 32. Cheaper than a Walther, same hard trigger pull, but does not bite the hand and I think it is a bit more accurate than the Walter, at least I could make good hits at 50 yards with it.

Hal
September 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
What he (Tom2) said.

My experience mirrors his.
$395 - $425 is a fair asking price for a used PPK in excellent condition.

The best aspect of buying a used PPK is that when you find out you really don't like it, you can get all your money out of it. ;)
I bought a used but unfired PPK in .380, fired ~ 35/40 rounds through it, bloodied my hand something fierce, then turned around and sold it for $400 a month later. (Thank you Ian Flemming & James Bond!)

Horrid little gun. Felt recoil is intense. I found mine more unpleasant to shoot than my 4" Smith model 29 using factory 240 gr, .44magnum loads.

I will give them (PPK and PP and PPK/s) this though,,,they sure are pretty little things and great-gawd-almighty! do they feel good to hold! till you pull the trigger of course.

Night Watch
September 9, 2007, 08:11 AM
:) I carry an old German Walther PPK-S in 9mm kurz when I'm all dressed up and don't want even a hint of a carry gun to show. I, also, carry two extra magazines as insurance against those, 'special moments'.

Be careful with used Walthers. Some of them shoot; and some of them don't. I'd rather not get into it, here. Do a Google search on past problems with Walthers and check things out for yourself BEFORE you put your money down.

A Walther that works is a good little pistol; and 380 acp - especially when fired in multiples of two or three shots - is an adequate stopper. I like my little German Walther; and, although several people have tried to buy it from me, it's NOT for sale. ;)

In reply to the above post: Toughen up, guy! :p

A Walther's recoil ain't all that bad. True, the Walther is a straight blowback design and recoil is noticeable; but, worthy of getting rid of the gun? I hardly think so; but, then again, I'm not one to go out and buy the latest whiz-bang Cor-Bon fast flyers, either.