PDA

View Full Version : Kahr 9mm? Good choice for new conceal carry?

Mr.XD9mm
September 8, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thinking of carrying the Kahr9mm what do you think of this pistol any reservations on this gun. Someone told me they are only good for about 6,000 rounds, which sucks if thats true since Gander Mountain has a price of $799 on the gun. I like the idea that is slimline is easier to fit inside the pocket than my Xd9mm with the 4inch barrel, without sacarficing the 9mm round.

Or should I lean toward a HK Psk2000 instead and spend a couple more hundred dollars?
What do ya'll think?

JohnKSa
September 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
The 6,000 round lifespan is a misconception based on a misinterpretation of a statement about Kahr's durability testing.

Durability testing by Kahr extends to around 6,000 to 7,000 rounds but they expect the pistol to last longer than that in service. That's just where they typically stop testing.

PSP
September 8, 2007, 02:43 PM
I own two Kahrs, a K9 and a T9. These are the all steel models (along with the MK), that are IMHO very good CCWs. Reliability is excellent, the compact nature is meant for concealment, recoil is low, the slim uncluttered pistols are perfect for fast draw and point well. The downside to the steel Kahrs is the weight...they are a bit heavier than the poly guns.

The also mentioned P2000SK is an outstanding weapon. The only negative compared to the Kahr is the general bulk of the P2000SK makes it a tad bit harder to conceal. Having said that, I must disclose that the P2000SK is my own daily CCW and I've not found any fault other than thickness.

The only better weapon available is the HK P7. I don't carry mine because I shoot too many other guns routinely and find myself touching the trigger too early, a very bad habit, and am afraid of a AD.

nobanforme
September 8, 2007, 06:46 PM
approx 8500 rounds thru my K40 and still going strong. :)

Dfariswheel
September 8, 2007, 06:51 PM
The Kahr Arms guns are quite possibly this generations "Gold Standard" in concealment pistols.

They have a lot to offer, and not much to disallow them.
What problems you do hear about are usually related to the polymer models.

pogo2
September 8, 2007, 07:08 PM
I bought a Kahr MK9 about 3 months ago and have put 400 trouble free rounds through it at the range. I am very impressed with the gun's accuracy and reliability, as well as the fit and finish. I bought an IWB tuckable holster for it, the Comp Tac 2 O'Clock, and will carry the gun in "appendix carry" mode when maximum concealment is necessary. The MK9 is as concealable as my PPK .380, but the caliber is superior for defensive use.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/KahrMK901.jpg

IdahoG36
September 9, 2007, 01:45 PM
I have a CW9. Only about 500 rounds through it at this point, but I haven't had any problems at all.

obiwan1
September 9, 2007, 03:27 PM
K40 here - love it!:)

darko
September 10, 2007, 10:02 AM
P40 covert. Only 200 rounds through it thus far, (the break in amount) no notable problems. I'm waiting to put a few hundred more through it. If it continues to be problem free I'll go ahead and sink some extra $$ into it for night sights. It carries extremely well and is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. I also find the kahr to be very easy on the eyes, i.e. nice looking guns. So far it has been the only pistol of a decent caliber that I've been able to carry without the hassle of a fannypack/&^&bag. Thus far I have to give the Kahr two thumbs up.

jdavis6576
September 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
I have a P9 that sees some concealed carry. The only reason I say "some" is because I carry a KT P-3AT at work because it fits in my pocket and the P9 is too large for pocket carry. I've put over 600 rounds through it without a problem. It is very accurate. I also own a Sig 229 and a HK P2000 and I have to say that the P9 has the smoothest trigger of all. My P2000 is a .40 so when the weather gets cooler I'll probably carry it but when I can wear a shirt untucked, it's the P9 that goes with me. The Sig is great for the range but too bulky and heavy for me to carry consistently...