PDA

View Full Version : ppk refinishing / value?

chewie
September 7, 2007, 07:59 PM
I recently bought a German made PPK/s which is not in the greatest shape. I am thinking about refinishing it. My question is: Would it hold its value better if it was only reblued as opposed to hard chromed? Also, if anyone has had a PPK hard chromed, who did you use and how did it come (pics would be great)?

Thanks in advance.

Dfariswheel
September 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
A refinish is a refinish as far as that goes, so I don't think there'd be any difference in value between a re-blue and hard chrome.
A refinished gun "almost always" loses value, but a well used and worn gun "may" actually be worth more after a GOOD refinish.
The key word here is "good". A hack polish and blue will trash the value of a gun.

If you want blue, pick one of the top pro re-finisher companies that will do the job right.

I owned a Walther PPK/s I had hard chromed, and sent several out for customers back before the stainless came out.
It works very well, and depending on who does it and how they process the metal before plating, it can look like a dull flat pearl-gray, to a brushed stainless look, to a bright nickel look.

Durability is excellent as always with hard chrome.

Ozzieman
September 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
If its a WW11 leave it alone.
Other wise I agree with Dfariswheel.
I met some one that had an origional Rememgtion Rolling block 45-70 that was in great condition. No pits no marks and very good wood.
He had it complely redone.
Lookes like a hi priced replica when he was done.
I cried.:barf:

Dfariswheel
September 8, 2007, 06:53 PM
It's a PPK/s, which is not WWII.