PDA

View Full Version : wow

shorty70
September 7, 2007, 06:48 PM
I can't believe everybody does'nt own Hi-Point. This is a first class pistol. Ugly, yes, but why care... Just blew through 200 Blazer Brass thru my .40 S&W with no probs, none,zero, zilch, nada, etc .. Sighting in problem, which is my bad, not the guns, I jus love it. Save your bucks for ammo...Shorty

Ocraknife
September 7, 2007, 07:06 PM
I sure like my Hi-point carbine

shorty70
September 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
:)Yes, the carbine is my next...., in .40, I think:)

varoadking
September 7, 2007, 08:08 PM
This is a first class pistol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/yelrotflmao.gif

drinks
September 7, 2007, 08:17 PM
I bought my C9 on the basis of Gun Tests report giving it a "Best Buy" rating and it has done fine for me.
I consider the $129 buy to be as good a deal as the S&W 28-2 in 75% condition for $150 I fell into.
Both function fine for me.:D

shorty70
September 7, 2007, 08:40 PM
Also fired WWB, have not tried hp's yet, but this pistol is fine. Where does the dis come from?? If you have'nt tried one, then reserve your opinions, I may have gotten a bad one , :D , but I don't know. Will it know the difference between range and BG situations, I think not, my .02 is all, Shorty

10 MickeyMouse
September 7, 2007, 09:49 PM
Save your bucks for ammo

That's exactly why I won't buy a Hi-point; it's $140 better spent on ammo for one of my quality firearms.

If it's all someone can afford, fine. BUt Ican't understand getting one just because it's cheap. If you have the urge to buy a new pistol and only $150 to spend, pick up a CZ-52, Mak or some other milsurp.

BillCA
September 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
Shorty70,

Do us a favor once you have it sighted in -- post some photos of your targets. I'd like to see what accuracy they have.

There's nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive gun as long as it isn't "cheap" (as in poorly made). The Hi-Points have a place - a truck gun, "glovebox gun" or the like. A friend bought one for his "earthquake kit" instead of worrying about a nice Colt getting scratched or rusty in storage.

The only downside I see to having a Hi-Point is if you use it in self-defense the cops are likely to look at it as "throw away" type gun and be suspicious of circumstances (more so perhaps than they would otherwise).

DWARREN123
September 8, 2007, 01:20 AM
I have a Hi-Point carbine in 40 S&W and does good for what it is.

10-96
September 8, 2007, 02:01 AM
the cops are likely to look at it as "throw away" type gun and be suspicious

I don't know, maybe I've always been Copping in the wrong places. My first impressions usually come from the actions, demeaner, and appearance of the "Person With A Gun". I'd whole lot rather see a somewhat rationally acting, well clothed and groomed man or woman who is obviously (or not) defending home and life toss down a Hi-Point when told to- than a gangbanger or a meth junkie throw down a H&K, Sig, or a Korth Jaeger Model for any reason.

I suspect that the folks who prescribe to building and buying Hi Points do so for a number of reasons. I'd like to think that somewhere in the maufacturing process, someone has the same viewpoint as I do. That being, that fierarm ownership should not be based on social caste. Do folks who make less than $15K/yr or those on SSI, Medicare, disability, military medical discharge at low rank have less of a right to defend their families, homes, selves than anyone else? Granted, when it comes down to the the post-shooting court processes the rich and affluent seem to have all the justice they can afford and the rest of us just take whatever we can get. I have some nice firearms that I've worked hard to obtain and it still chaps my butt to no end to have various aspects of my firearms ownership judged based on my income.

abarth
September 8, 2007, 02:23 AM
Functional? Yes. First class? Hack no. :barf:

FS2K
September 8, 2007, 03:09 AM
There's a LOT of ways to deciefer "First Class".

How about "First Class" Bargain?

Or "First Class" Bang for the buck?

I don't currently own a Hi-Point, but I did own a 995 Carbine, and for what it's worth, I thought the gun was a pretty good shooter. It was accurate anyway. I didn't like the stock stinging my face when shot, but the aftermarket stock swap fixed that for her new owner: one of my workers.

Just because something isn't expensive doesn't mean that it's "cheap".

snail
September 8, 2007, 07:23 AM
The Hi-point has its place in the world. It does not have very good fit or finish, it isn't designed to last forever, and it is butt ugly. If you are a person that makes $10-11hr supporting your family than you aren't going to be going out and buying anything expensive. If you are wealthy and can spare the $600+ on a "good" gun than have at it, but don't attack someone just because they have a "cheap" alternative. I am sure they get enough of the whole "mine is better than yours" BS. Why can't we (gunowners) treat each other fairly? Nobody else in the world will.

10-96
September 8, 2007, 07:44 PM
The first 1911 I owned was a Llama, it didn't stay with me all that long. Why? Because I was a knucklehead and listened to everyone slam the thing based on it's name. I promptly went on a Top Ramen diet and scrimped and saved until I could move up in the world and order a brand-spanking new Springfield Champion. What a retarded mistake I made! There I was with my Llama long gone and a Springfield that refused to shoot more than 2 rounds at a time and not enough money to get it tuned up or polished or whatever it woulda took to make it run. That Llama ran like a top and I was guilty of listening to folks who apparently weren't qualified to tell me squat. If your High-Point works and works every time- then hold onto it for as long as you want to. Since that Springfield, I also ended up with a Para Ord that wouldn't shoot out of the box. Right or wrong- that's what I expect out of a shooting iron.

CajunBass
September 9, 2007, 04:22 AM
I've got a Hi-Point 9mm, and while I don't know if I'd describe it as "first class," I certainly wouldn't describe it as "junk." It's functional, reliable, and inexpensive.

There are maybe some mil-surp handguns you can buy for about the same price, but not many of those if any are chambered for 9mm, 40S&W, 45acp. Sure, you can save a little more and get a nicer gun, but you can say that about most anything.

If you want a gun, and don't want to spend a lot of money, Hi-Point fills the bill.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/2845ee07.jpg

5 rounds. American Eagle 115 FMJ. 7 yards, out of the box, no sight adjustment, offhand

Manedwolf
September 9, 2007, 05:26 AM
They are indeed good, inexpensive "bad guy extinguishers" for inner city sorts who may need a gun, but can't afford better.

But for literally shooting through the same hole, I believe I'll keep my SIG. ;)

Night Watch
September 9, 2007, 06:45 AM
:rolleyes: Now have I got this right?

If someone points one of them big blocky Hi-Points at me, I should remember to duck?

(And they have the nerve to say that Glocks are clunky!) :D

armoredman
September 9, 2007, 09:05 AM
Do remember Hi-Point has a lifetime guarentee. The factory is standing behind thier product better than some high dollar outfits. No, I don't like the shape, heft, or feel ofthe pistol, but if it were all there was, I would use one. I have considered getting one just to try it with handloads, cast boolits, etc, to see if there is some accuracy potential, or whether or not it's simply a last ditch beater for the BOB.
I am a die hard CZ fan, but the beauty of The United States is our freedom of choice, whether to choose a Hi-Point or Korth.

Thunderhawk88
September 9, 2007, 10:23 AM
It really amazes me that on our gun forums, many people complain about how times have changed "There's no respect anymore" etc., yet so much time and space is spent ridiculing others choice in guns.
"Glocks are unsafe", "Glocks are ugly", "HiPoints are cheap", "Sigmas are junk", "Taurus' are cheap imitations", "Rugers are this, and Smiths are that" and on and on. I remember being taught "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". Maybe the disrespectful young folks of today had some examples to follow.

Shorty, congrats on your new pistol. Hope you get alot of enjoyment out of it.

chris in va
September 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
Oh jeez, here we go again.

rgates
September 9, 2007, 11:01 AM
Congrats Shorty. I've been thinking of getting the 9mm pistol and carbine. For the price and warranty, I don't see how you can go wrong.
I also bought a Romanian AK. That's it, go ahead and laugh. It's one heck of a shooter. When all the friends come over for a day of shooting out back, guess which one everyone wants a turn with. They'll even bring ammo for it.

Alleykat
September 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
O.K., I have shot a couple of Hi-Points, but would never own one. I believe there is a place for Hi-Points, and that place is in the hands of folks whose lives are worth about $150. ;)

IdahoG36
September 9, 2007, 01:50 PM
I agree, you would be much better off to spend that money on ammo for a better handgun. I have a friend that bought a Hi-Point .40, and when I held it, it felt like a mini sledgehammer. I haven't felt a handgun that heavy for it's size. It felt like I was holding a Desert Eagle, just uglier.:barf:

tomh1426
September 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
Do remember Hi-Point has a lifetime guarentee
How much will it cost you to ship it back and forth?
With as much as youd pay to ship it plus the original cost of the gun this "cheap" gun just got kinda expensive.

JasonJ
September 9, 2007, 11:09 PM
lives worth only $150? please.. lives are priceless.. thats why you cant put an MSRP sticker on what weapon it is that saves a life..

I make 10.91/hr, 12-15k/year... i can afford two types of guns: Hi-Points, and Mosin-Nagant.

I have the 995 9mm carbine and the 45acp auto pistol.. both are DEADLY ACCURATE. even at 50ft, and im not an expert marksman.

who cares about 10 rounds through the same hole when 10 rounds in center of mass does the job.

you dont like how Hi-Point looks, feels, fine.. whatever. Isnt any different than people who think Glocks came out of a horses arse. I could have saved all the cash i spent on my 3 guns and bought 1 glock 17. ... or i could enjoy a 9mm carbine, 45acp, 7.62x54r...

for the love of the sport of shooting people, get off your high horses and let people buy what they can if at the very LEAST to get them into shooting.

theres always time for upgrades to gun quality (subjective) later in life.

Mark54g
September 9, 2007, 11:51 PM
Jason,

Truer words were not spoken in this thread. While I may not want a HiPoint (don't care for the looks, more than anything). I would not say they are crap. I make a lot more money, but that doesn't make my life worth more than yours. You do a service, I do a service. In the end, we do what we feel is best for ourselves and make what we can out of this life.

If that gun saves your life, or anybody else's it is priceless. Otherwise, the enjoyment it brings from shooting it is still worth every penny, because it is time away from the hassles of work and other things that are less fun.

dwatts47
September 10, 2007, 01:16 AM
I can't fault someone for saying "not alot to spend, but I MUST have protection" that is called common sense.

shoot the hi point and get good with it. If starts to go sour on you, sell it and other worldly possesions and buy something a little higher up on the ladder. If if never goes sour, keep in until you WANT something different.

Either way an inexpensive gun (if it always works) is far better than no gun at all.

My first "real" handgun was a Ruger p85. I didn't like it, it wasn' very accurate, and there was no pride in ownership. But I did have a gun that worked. Now that I have a $2400 wilson combat, and numberous $1000 sig's and HK's, I'll never own another Ruger P85, but when I see one... they always bring back memories of my original hunger for knowledge and ability with firearms.

Cremon
September 10, 2007, 08:37 AM
Shorty - nice gun - that you enjoy it is what that makes the most difference. Everyone has their opinions but in this thread, yours is the one that matters most, I think.

sanson
September 10, 2007, 08:50 AM
the hi-point 380's shoot every time. yes they are cheaply made and ugly BUT still a good toolbox gun(tractor,truck,boat)anyplace you would shudder to keep a NICE gun. lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either :) now as for calling it a "first-class" gun... I don't think so:p

shorty70
September 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
By that, I only mean that I have not experienced any problems, whatsoever, with this weapon. Knowing that there are more expensive handguns available out there, is meaningless to me. Money is not an issue, practicallity is. This handgun works, and I'm happy. I also don't believe it will recognize the difference between a BG or a target. I will post target pics when I can. Have a good day...shorty:D

tomh1426
September 10, 2007, 01:16 PM
You give it a first class reliability rating after only 200 rounds
Im not bashing your hi-point but give us a review after a few thosand rounds so Its more credible.

JasonJ
September 10, 2007, 01:30 PM
I can do that. I have roughly 2300rnds through my Hi-Point 45, 1200 through my 9mm carbine.

i had 1 FTE on the 45 out of all of those.. and that was because i loaded a mag of misc. 45acp i had laying about and some of it was old.

now there are Hi-Point firearms out there that brand new dont fire right.. they fire the 200 round test at the factory, but after that jam jam jam.. but most are like mine, minimal issues.

Someday I'll buy a $500 Glock.. or an $800 S&W.. but for now i guess i justhave my Hi-Points and the MN.

MyXD40
September 10, 2007, 01:47 PM
A gun is a gun. I don't care really what everyone else thinks about it. If it feels good, and you can shoot it with good aim, why not have it? Quality may be an issue.. but look at it this way. I LOVE love love my XDs. Especialy my all black .40

But your gun is like your car. You need to take care of it. If you go out and buy a brand new car, you try not to put too many miles on it. You're still making payments, and you don't want to owe 8 grand on a truck that no longer runs because its just been drivin too much.
Same with a gun. I have another XD .40 that I will put as many rounds through it as possible, until the day it dies on me. I almost got myself a hi-point just so I can go to the range, and pop off some rounds. Its a reason to do something, and a good way to release some stress. A hi-point for myself is a perfect gun to take to the range, and pop some rounds. If it fails, I ownt be so sad as if one of my more expensive guns were to fail, or get scratched up.

tomh1426
September 10, 2007, 01:52 PM
Sounds like a gamble?
If I didnt have much $ I wouldnt wanna take a chance of getting a lemon.
I know everyone makes lemons but your more likely to get one from hi-point.
Your Hi-point plus your 2300 rounds could of gotten you that Glock.

DoItRight
September 10, 2007, 02:10 PM
They are indeed good, inexpensive "bad guy extinguishers" for inner city sorts who may need a gun, but can't afford better. Hmmmm ... "inner city sort?" What exactly does that mean? If I am a poor "rural sort," does that mean that a High Point isn't for me? :(

MyXD40
September 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
gander mountain has a lay-away program..20% down..90days to pay off balance......

sanson
September 10, 2007, 02:17 PM
I guess cityfolk would call it a crack-dealer's special. us country folk call it a toolbox gun.:)

JasonJ
September 10, 2007, 02:17 PM
i only have possibly $50/month in discretionary funds.. paying off a $500 gun in 90 days isnt going to happen for some of us.

and yes, 2300 rounds of 45 plus $129 could have bought me a Glock.. but thats one gun.. i have 4. what good is the sport to me if i cant enjoy different calibers and styles of firearm? nothing.

its like having one flavor of ice cream.

as far as being more likely to get a "lemon" from entry level gun mfgrs...besides the fact of using less expensive materials (which doesnt always equate to lower quality, not always).. i dont see what substantiates that claim.

Do inexpensive car models have more lemons? no.. do cheaper seats at the stadium break more often? no.. what about cheap furniture.. IKEA stuff is just as good as the crap at 3x the price across the street at Art Van.

MyXD40
September 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
^buy what you wish. But I'd much rather buy a sony vs. a zeinth.. (<is that how you spell it?)

A layway program is a good option for some people who would rather have something they want..of course money is the issue. But options are always nice

CajunBass
September 10, 2007, 03:30 PM
Your Hi-point plus your 2300 rounds could of gotten you that Glock.

That's true. But then he'd have 2300 fewer practice rounds downrange.

In my case, I've got a Glock. And an XD-9. And a Smith and Wesson 39-2, and a Colt Commander..and so on. I still like my Hi-Point, too. :D