PDA

View Full Version : what does the "B" mean on the CZ75B?

daddySEAL
September 7, 2007, 12:44 PM
I heard that it was something about it being made in conjunction with Smith & Wesson.

Is that right?

And if so, just what "input" did S&W have in it, please?

ATW525
September 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
It means it has a firing pin block safety.

daddySEAL
September 7, 2007, 12:48 PM
Oh, OK....guess I got some bad information.

thanks

armoredman
September 7, 2007, 01:15 PM
The only US company CZ worked with was Colt, with the very short lived Colt Z40. The only other one CZ bought outright, Dan Wesson. :cool:

daddySEAL
September 10, 2007, 07:05 AM
THAT's who I'd mistakenly heard it was.....Colt.
Thanks for the info.
That would have been cool, but I love my CZ75B (anyway)

Davis
September 11, 2007, 07:27 AM
Colt has had a history of "working" with other companies. Colt also worked with Star, which is to say, they worked with Star to import Star pistols stamped Colt. Few folks know that Colt actually imported the Star model 30 9mm to be sold as the Colt model 30. It didn't pan out but it is what they did all the same. Most folks know of the Star .380 Colt imported.

Davis

hj28rules
September 11, 2007, 09:08 AM
There are some other differences between the 75 and the 75B other than the firing pin block. After 1980 a number of changes were made to the original 75.

half cock feature added
hammer design change
full length slide added
durability requirements changed from 5,000 rounds to 8,000/ main components to 12,000 rounds
baked lacquer finish became standard.
current style plastic checkered grips phased in

Source
CZ75:Birth of Legend , David Pazdera & Jan Skramoussky

Davis
September 11, 2007, 11:53 AM
Well, there is another difference, and that is the magwell is tighter on the pre "B"'s, so tight that most pre "B" CZ-75's cannot accept "B" magazines.

Davis

Cliff47
September 11, 2007, 12:56 PM
The front sight was changed from a staked sight to one that fits in a longitudinal dovetail, and is held by a rollpin. The trigger guard was recurved, and the slide acquired a full-length ridge that breaks up any reflection into the shooters eyes. The trigger/sear/hammer geometry was revised also to make way for the firing-pin block. The length of the slide rails between the Pre-B and the B models did not appreciably change. The real change in slide length was between the very earliest CZ75s and the Pre-B production version.

daddySEAL
September 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
Cool info, guys
thanks

So at 8,000 is isn't dependable or accurate anymore?
Our what does that mean?

Davis
September 12, 2007, 03:33 PM
Cliff, that isn't actually technically the case. There are transitional models of the CZ-75 that are pre "B" but have all the cosmetic features you describe. I owned one, once, that was just that. The only way you could tell it was a pre "B" CZ-75 at any distance was the lack of the roll-pin in the serrations. The mag-well was still just as tight as any other pre "B".

That said, as a general rule you are correct. The transitional model is comparitively scarce.

Davis

LUPUS
September 12, 2007, 04:35 PM
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9674/cz75pspyb2.th.jpg (http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cz75pspyb2.jpg)

Davis, I suppose you mean the version in the picture.
It is not mine, but just found on the net and kept it as an example.
Best.

Davis
September 13, 2007, 07:57 AM
Yep, that's it.

In truth, the CZ-85 Combat is the same pistol (except for the enlarged mag well).

Davis

LUPUS
September 13, 2007, 08:23 AM
And ambidextrous slide stop and safety are added on CZ85 Combat.
Best.

Magnum Wheel Man
September 17, 2007, 06:58 AM
I pulled some of my father in laws old collection out of the vaul, & took a few pics...

one is a CZ-75 Compact... I don't know when it was made, but it doesn't carry the "B" designation, but has the rounded "commander style" hammer, roll pin in the slide for the firing pin block, has the pinned front sight, has the anti glare sight rail on top of the slide, & the squared grooved front of the trigger gaurd... it has a shorter barrel & slide & slightly shorter grip frame & shorter magazine

the other is a regular pre "B" CZ-75

both of these pieces are NIB unfired "older" guns...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26920&d=1190030255

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26921&d=1190030277

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26922&d=1190030296

Cliff47
September 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
As far as the transitional features as the pistol went from Pre-B to true 'B', there does not seem to be any rhyme nor reason for a 'B' feature showing up (or not for that matter). It was like they were incorporating the changes on the assembly line as the parts became available.

One of the earliest improvements that I can lay my hands on is the spur hammer being narrowed on each side, prior to the incorporation of the round Commander-style hammer. I have a pair of Pre-B pistols that display this unique trait.

Magnum Wheel Man
September 18, 2007, 02:41 PM
hmmm... I thought the spur hammer was already narrower than the commander style hammer ???

Cliff47
September 19, 2007, 03:53 PM
The later spur hammer is about as thick as the current Commander (round) hammer. The early Pre-B had a THICK spur hammer. One of the interesting variants in the line. There was also a Commander-style hammer that had an angular top withthe serrations, but I have yet to run across one of those.

kris&bela
September 25, 2007, 08:30 PM
The letter "B" stands for Bad A.......!! Just kidding I really don't know but I like those guns....