PDA

View Full Version : Carry Ammo

ragwd
September 7, 2007, 11:46 AM
So I need some info on carry ammo, I shoot the cheap stuff on the range (winchester white box), can't afford to shoot the good stuff all the time. I know I need to practice with what I carry. I would like to carry some jacketed hollow points and I will try a few hundred rounds to make sure it feeds well, but I have read that some may cause feed problems because of the hp tip configuration. I need to find something that feeds well in my H&K usp comp 45. Just thought I would check in here for a starting point. You guys always have informed opinions. Sorry if this is a old thread. Thanks

ActivShootr
September 7, 2007, 12:19 PM
Federal Expanding FMJ. Its not a HP so it won't hang up in your H&K.

rantingredneck
September 7, 2007, 01:00 PM
I would hate to think an HK wouldn't eat everything you feed it as much as you pay for them, but you are right to test it.

When I went from 9mm to .45 earlier this year I posted a thread asking for suggestions and got several good ones. I bought a box each of three or four different types of ammo and found the one that was the most accurate of the four out of my gun. Then I bought several more boxes to start screening it for reliability. I think I only put about 100 rounds through it before I started carrying it though. Shame on me. I've since put a few hundred more rounds of the same ammo through that gun and two others without a hitch.

What I finally settled on was Hornady TAP 230gr. +P's but your results will likely vary. My .45's are all Rugers P90, 97, and 345.

MyXD40
September 7, 2007, 01:45 PM
I love my XD, anything, and everything :cool:

I always just use mostly winchester .40SW FMJ and HP rounds through my XDs. I'm not too worried about which brand bullet to use to stop a threat, a bullet is a bullet, and any bullet to the heart or head will do it's job;STOP the BG

rantingredneck
September 7, 2007, 01:54 PM
stop the BG

fixed that for ya. ;)

Lurper
September 7, 2007, 02:23 PM
Check out Taurus ammo (yes, Taurus makes ammo). The make a 185gr copper hollow point (barnes bullet) in .45 that feeds well and is incredibly accurate. It is a totally copper hollow point. It is designed to expand reliably without framenting. I can tell you that they are superbly accurate out of my 1911 and that they expand well in wet phone books. I was so impressed that they are my SD rounds.

MyXD40
September 7, 2007, 02:26 PM
fixed that for ya.

lol thanks:cool:

Chesster
September 7, 2007, 04:19 PM
I buy the UMC 100 packs in JHP for the range. They feed well and are occasionally in my pistols when I carry if I forget to change to my preferred Federal 230gr HydraShoks. I am fine with it. In my youth I carried an old WWII RR with ball and felt comfortable.

PSP
September 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
I also use Hornady TAP FPD. Very high quality controls. Expensive though.

rantingredneck
September 7, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I'm paying about 18.00 for 20 right now. Limits practice with it a bit, but I find it shoots to the same point of aim as Blazer Brass from my gun and the recoil is not terribly different.

rantingredneck
September 7, 2007, 04:42 PM
I buy the UMC 100 packs in JHP for the range. They feed well and are occasionally in my pistols when I carry if I forget to change to my preferred Federal 230gr HydraShoks

I was doing that for a bit too. Until I got hold of a couple boxes from a bad lot. I had four rounds per one box of 100 and six rounds per another box that failed to fire on the first strike. Had good firing pin marks, but did not go boom until the second strike. One of the RO's at the local indoor range had some negative things to say about their QC and storage practices. I stopped buying them after that.

Shame too cuz they were damnably accurate.

flinch444
September 7, 2007, 05:21 PM
One thing I have never really understood about carry ammo, is why it has to cost SO much more than the standard, lower pressure roundnose ball ammo.

I would think that the cost of manufacturing a +p round with a hollowpoint bullet isnt that much more than the bulk roundnose stuff. At almost a dollar a round for some brands of carry ammo, vs. about 20 cents a round for the cheaper ball ammo.(45acp)
It seems to me that the ammo manufacturers are taking advantage of the fact that most of us are afraid of the legal ramifications of using reloads for selfdefense.
Our choices then are factory ball ammo, (which is suposedly lousy for selfdefense, but used by the military) or paying through the nose for factory hollowpoint +p ammo(suposedly better for selfdefense).
I carry the expensive stuff too, but everytime I buy it I always think to myself that just maybe that ball ammo my gun likes so much isnt such a bad idea, as neither is going to propel a bullet fast enough to cause hydrostatic shock like a rifle round would do anyway. A hollow point might open up, might not too. What do you guys think?

ragwd
September 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. Went to a gun show this past weekend looking at ammo:eek::eek::eek: cheaper at wal-mart, I will start with the tap and see how they run.

ludwig1138
September 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
It seems to me that the ammo manufacturers are taking advantage of the fact that most of us are afraid of the legal ramifications of using reloads for selfdefense.

What are the legal problems with reloads for self defense?

MPanova
September 10, 2007, 03:49 AM
Try these guys

http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Guns%20and%20Ammo&Category=AMMO_DHAND&Prod=FC-45HST

They seem to have great prices. 26 bucks for 50 round boxes instead of 20 round boxes that most places offer. The more you order the less the shipping charge with change the price of each box too. I normally order 250 rounds from them at a time for testing reliability in a new .45

Cremon
September 10, 2007, 07:28 AM
I buy Winchester ball ammo at Wal Mart for about $28 for a box of 100 rounds for my 45 carry pistol. During the winter, I'll use that as my carry ammo too. During the summer or warm days, I like Remington Golden Saber 230 gr ammo.

ragwd
September 10, 2007, 09:37 AM
MPanova, thanks nice link, but two of the three reviews cite backlogs and they are on back order now. Just wondering have you ordered on back order and if so how long did they take to fill the order. great price though.

cryption
September 10, 2007, 10:03 AM
CCI blazer at the range and Speer gold dot hollows in my XD-40

ragwd
September 10, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cryption, thanks, but a question, have you found any of the hollow point cause feed problems in your xd-40

MPanova
September 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
ragwd. It is normally only a couple weeks. GIve them a call and ask them they are very helpful and friendly people over there ;)

rcupka
September 10, 2007, 09:09 PM
I use the 230gr Hornady TAP in my SIG GSR and pay $19.99 for 20, but I also had good luck with 230gr Winchester Ranger SXT. I found several boxes of 50 for $29 ea. at a gun show, they feed great. I recently tried some Corbon 185gr DPX, but it is super expensive, and i haven't run enough rounds to make sure it is reliable in my gun.

Unregistered
September 10, 2007, 10:06 PM
Federal Expanding FMJ. Its not a HP so it won't hang up in your H&K.

I disagree about the Expanding FMJ's. While its not a hollowpoint, it is not a round nose either. It is a truncated cone. It has the same profile as many hollowpoints. I don't think it feeds any better.

It was designed mainly for jurisdictions where HPs are forbidden.