PDA

View Full Version : 1911 IWB with love handles

glockopop
September 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
So I've read a fair amount about how easy it is to carry a full size 1911 IWB, but it always seems to be skinny guys who say so. I'm not that fat, but I've got "love handles" which I think would make IWB carry of "the big gun" uncomfortable. The gun in question would be a Wilson KZ45, which isn't quite as flat as a single stack 1911.

Any chunky folks who carry a 1911 IWB? What works for you?

dwatts47
September 5, 2007, 11:45 PM
Disclaminer: I'm 5-10 165, in decent shape for my age and I don't carry a 1911...

However, I carry big guns (sig 220, hks and full size glocks) in the waistband, that may be one of my go to carry methods to guarantee concealment...

the secret...pants 2" bigger in the waist than normal. I understand your question is of a different nature, but the truth is lovehandles or not, most the gun will be inside your pants. The handle will consequently dig into your sides a little more, but the extra room around the belt will conceal the gun.

I don't think IWBS are that comfortable for anyone at first, but I place it just behind my strong side hip, and even under a loose tshirt, its gone. I have spent hundreds on trying different IWB holsters and have come up with 3 that work for most any garment.

Galco royal guard (thickest)
Don Hume IWB clip on (medium)
uncle mikes "inside the pants" suede (thinnest) no reinforcement band though, so when you draw the gun the holster tends to collapse.

The uncle mikes only costs 12-14 dollars, so try it first to see if IWB even feels decent to you. The Don Hume goes for around 35, and the galco is $85 if i remember correctly.

Don Lu
September 6, 2007, 12:33 AM
Im a big dude..If you have a holster that rides fairly high you'll be fine..the lower it rides the harder it is to acsess gun w/the handles...lol...

Night Watch
September 6, 2007, 01:55 AM
:) Actually it's the other way around. It's the bony skinny guys who have the most problems with carrying large pistols. I'm a big guy: 6' and 250#'s. Ain't got no problem, at all, carrying a G-21 IWB all day long.

If you plan on wearing your gun inside both your pants AND your belt, then, buy pants that fit a little loose. Buy your gun belts 2" inches oversized. If you custom order a gun belt, ask for 7 rather than 5 holes. ;)

oldbillthundercheif
September 6, 2007, 02:38 AM
I've got a little extra around the waist these days...

Try the Bianchi M100. It's a real peach.

gunfighter48
September 6, 2007, 02:46 AM
I'm 5'9" and weigh 265 lbs, plenty of love handles!!!! All of my holsters (IWB) have sweat shields, leather flap that prevents the hammer and slide from hitting your skin, that works for me. My newest holster is a Sparks VM II, very comfortable even while seated (carrying a Kimber Pro Carry II). I also make my own holsters and always design them with sweat shields.:)

Billy Sparks
September 6, 2007, 06:02 AM
If you have love handles sweat shields are your friends. The keep it from rubbing you raw.

darko
September 6, 2007, 08:24 AM
I tried carrying my full size 1911 IWB once. It was a painful and unpleasant experience. I have a bit of a tire (middle age spread) and wear a size 32" pant with little to no room to spare. The only weapon I've carried/carry so far that does not bother me IWB is my little kel-Tec 380 with belt clip. Every time I try something else, even subcompacts it just ends up being a hassle. My latest and last endeavor for IWB carry is my recently obtained Kahr P40 covert. It is as small/compact/slim as I think I'm going to find in a decent caliber. I'm still scouting for the perfect holster and will likely try out a Don Hume. I carried it about last weekend in a Bianchi IWB (6D) holster and it was less than pleasant but I'm not planning to give up on this one. As far how folks carry full sized pistols IWB, beats me. I'm a jeans/t-shirt guy and don't want to have to change my attire to accomodate a pistol. Worst case scenario is reverting to the fannypack/*&^bag:rolleyes:

FirstFreedom
September 6, 2007, 08:28 AM
Actually it's the other way around. It's the bony skinny guys who have the most problems with carrying large pistols.

I would disagree with that. "Bony skinny guys" such as myself (ok, myself 5 years ago) have more empty spaces in the small of the back, etc., to hide the thing. Although *I* have never carried a full sized 1911 IWB (I don't care for IWB), I have seen other skinny guys do it with just a T-shirt over and could't even tell. My understanding is that it is more difficult with extra "padding" around the waistline.

Night Watch
September 6, 2007, 09:25 AM
I would disagree with that. "Bony skinny guys" such as myself (ok, myself 5 years ago) have more empty spaces in the small of the back, etc., to hide the thing.

:confused: I'm talking about, 'smart skinny guys' who don't attempt to carry SOB. The complaint I usually hear is that 3-4:00 o'clock is hard on the bony hips and, also, patterns the gun very easily. (Because there's less, 'meat' to hide it!) ;)

tegemu
September 6, 2007, 03:50 PM
I'm a fat guy that always carries a 1911, either in my pocket or IWB. When it's IWB it is in a Gary Brommeland www.brommelandgunleather.com Max Con V. Always perfectly comfortably.