PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking about a Rock Island Armory...

defjon
September 5, 2007, 06:45 PM
I bought a Colt series 70, and have come to the conclusion that as far as semi autos go, I love 1911s. They're for me. I love the nuances, and the firing characteristics...pretty much everything. Besides a polished chrome BHP somewhere in my future, I think the 1911 is pretty much the semi-auto for me.

I like to shoot my colt, and shoot it better than my other guns. I think I would like a gun that will allow for spare parts exchanges if something happens to the colt, and have similar firing characteristics. I'd love to load the colt and stuff it under the mattress for home defense, but if I had to use it, I'd likely lose it. Illinois law really isn't fair.

I've heard good thinks about the Rocks. I also heard reliability is increased by swapping a few parts, such as a new recoil spring.

Basically I have a few questions:

I'd like to hear from RIA owners! Also, what lb spring should I buy from wolf just to ensure RIA reliability? Would a RIA make a good home defense/eventually carry piece? Thanks! Tell me everything about this gun! A firsthand account is worth a thousand random internet bytes :)

Jon-

nobanforme
September 5, 2007, 07:21 PM
I love mine. :)http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/lennymax3/ria1.jpg

tony pasley
September 5, 2007, 08:57 PM
I love mine and have started carring it more and more. I would rather have the police hold a RIA than one of my Colts or others that cost a lot more. I did lighten the trigger.

Richard
September 6, 2007, 03:22 AM
A picture is worth 1,000... Here is my RIA:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p4d66bab29278db500b963e51ae7bc922/e9dfe474.jpg

I consider RIAs to be worthy successors to the Norinco 1911A1 pistols and that is high praise.

Regards,

Richard:D

wilson133
September 6, 2007, 04:42 AM
I feel my RIA 5" standard model may be the best gun for the money I have, and I own a lot of guns. I've put several thousand rounds through it without doing anything but clean it and all it does is shoot. It feeds anything, functions fine and is still a tight gun.
Everytime one of the gun snobs posts "you get what you pay for", I look at the RIA and laugh.

luvs2hunt62
September 7, 2007, 03:31 PM
I have one and shoot it often, as I do my colt, dan wesson, and springfield. It has been a flawless performer, and eats all my reloads with ease. for the money, you can't beat it

Chesster
September 7, 2007, 04:06 PM
I have the basic, a tactical and compact tactical RIA. All are great guns and super bargains. I highly recommend them and the company's customer service. Only thing I changed on the basic and FS tactical were those smooth wood grips. GI checkered went on the basic and DD Philippine Mahogany on the tactical.

schmeky
September 7, 2007, 08:56 PM
I just ordered a NIB RIA in .38 Super for $305.00 plus $14.00 shipping. Holy Moly!!

I plan on doing some mild custom work and turn it into a 9mm 1911.

After reading nothing but positives on the RIA's, plus their customer service has been praised consistently, for the money, I couldn't pass this up.

Widder
September 11, 2007, 10:09 PM
Schmeky,

$305. Wow! Where did you get that price??

Raytracer
September 11, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hey Schmeky,

I'm considering the same project. What's your game plan?

Joe

IdahoG36
September 13, 2007, 01:59 PM
How do the cast slides and frames hold up? Rugers are cast and are built like a tank, but the 1911 design isn't nearly as thick as a Ruger. I have been considering one for a project gun. My local dealer has a tactical model for $469.

rellascout
September 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
They are good guns. They have had some QC issues but show me a 1911 manufacture that hasn't.

At the price point they normally sell at they are hard to beat. I personally like the Norinco better but that is just me.

I would also consider the new Taurus. I have not shot one but the one I have inspected look good.

schmeky
September 13, 2007, 06:56 PM
Widder,

Gunbroker. There is always one on there with a "buy it Now" price of $305.00 + $14.00 shipping. Outfit is in Kentucky, called United Arms Corp.

There have been some folks on the 1911 Forum under the RIA heading that have already done some 38 Super to 9mm conversions. They have retained the extractors, ejectors, even the recoil spring, and basically just installed a new barrel from Sarco. These 9mm barrels are around $45.00. I already have a 1911-9mm magazine.

So, $305.00 + $14.00 shipping + $20.00 FFL fee, + $50.00 for 9mm barrel = $389.00 for a new 1911 in 9mm.

What a freaken deal!

Logs
September 13, 2007, 08:37 PM
Also check out www.centerfiresystems.com they carry multiple models.