PDA

View Full Version : pulling out "new" 12-15 year old CZ 75 Compact...

Magnum Wheel Man
September 4, 2007, 04:25 PM
anyone have or use these as shooters ??? what are your thoughts on the gun ??? I love the full sized CZ-75 & my father in law had a new unfired compact in the vault when he died...

it looks like it'll still take the 15 round mags ??? but I think this was issued with a 10 round ( by date )... looks like a full sized frame with a 1" shorter barrel & slide... when I get some spare time I want to try it out on the range...

what do you guy's recomment for use in this gun as SD cartridges ???

tekarra
September 4, 2007, 07:26 PM
Magnum,

It seems like you are talking about two separate pistols rather than one. cZ makes a Compact that has a shorter barrel and a shorter grip than the full size cZ75. The Compact barrel is about 1" shorter than the full size and the magazine is also shorter, holding a few less rounds. The Compact will accept the full size magazines; all the it does is protrude out the magazine well, but functions normally.

The other model is the Semicompact. This is essentially a compact slide on a full size frame. It handles a bit different from either the full size and the compact, but is a fine shooter.

On occasion, I swap the slides between my full size and my compact. This gives me a semicompact (also have one of these) and a long barrel on a compact frame. The latter has a different feel, but is fun to shoot. I guess this gives me two additional pistols!

Tom2
September 4, 2007, 08:20 PM
I have seen the compact CZ and handled them. Thought the ergonomics of the grip was great. Not lightweight by any means but I was severely tempted to get one at the time as the price was not bad. Good workmanship I thought. Then when I decided I should go ahead and get it they seemed to disappear so on to other things...Written up in HANDGUNS '94 the big paperback annual guide to handguns and accessories. Got a good review. 13+1 in the chamber capacity. Writer was shooting all kinds of ammo and could get 2 inch groups at 20 yards offhand, consistently. Sounds like a good one. Nothing negative in the writeup. He only wished for tritium sights as an option.

Magnum Wheel Man
September 5, 2007, 06:24 AM
TEK... I think you are right... the frame might be a bit shorter ( I should put them side by side )... I did notice ( since I moved this pistol from the vault to my "carry gun drawer" so it would get a bit more attention ), that it has a different hammer ( commander style hammer ??? ) it does not have the spur type hammer my full size CZ-75's have...

... & I thought the clip size was "full sized" but also thought I remembered that this gun was produced at the time of reduced magazine capacities... but maybe the 12 or 13 + 1 is correct ??? I'll have to stuff it full of cartridges or set it beside one of the full size mags to compare...

it's clearly labeled "compact" on both the box & the slide of the gun... those that have the compacts have been happy with them ???

kristop64089
September 5, 2007, 06:57 AM
I have a PCR D (compact, w/polycoat, decocker) man.......this thing is a friggin tack driver. eats +p all day long.. I bought it as my main carry gun. I absolutely love it. So, to answer your question. yep I'm happy

armoredman
September 5, 2007, 09:54 AM
The Compact will use the 14 round Compact mags, which also fit/may be marked for the PCR and the PO1. Excellent sidearm! My first CZ was a CZ-75 Compact, and it was wicked accurate. I now carry a CZ-75 PO1, the best SD sidearm I have found yet.
Come over to czforum.com, for more info on your new pistola.:cool:

Magnum Wheel Man
September 5, 2007, 10:13 AM
Couldn't find the CZ Forum with a quick search...

BTW... went to the CZUSA site just now, & noticed that all the current CZ-75's have the rounded "commander style" hammer... I know for a fact that at least one ( the one I shoot most often ) of my 75's ( all were bought by my father in law, 12-15 years ago ) has a "spur" type hammer...

anyone know when, or about when they switched to the rounded hammer over the spur type ??? I'll have to get a few pics of my 75's... the one I did some work on, has a stock revolver style spur hammer on it...

armoredman
September 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
http://p201.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792

There you go.:cool: