PDA

View Full Version : Some 1911 help, please...

Skypilot4u
September 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi, y'all

I have a model 70-style 1911 pistol that is giving me a problem and I hope someone out there has a fix for it.

My wife calls it a Frankenstein Pistol, cause it is made up of a mish-mash of spare parts from model 70 Colts on an AutoOrdnance frame. I have another similar pistol on an AMT frame and have had very little trouble with that one.

This one has a problem with failing to eject. I can get between 1 and 3 rounds off before one will jam in the slide opening, and it isn't stove-piping. Needless to say, I want this corrected so if someone has to depend on this to protect them, it will!

The ejector has about a 1/16"-long bit of metal that sticks out beyond the forward end of the ejector. The other pistol doesn't have any metal sticking out past the end of the ejector; it actually is a slight bit sloped back from the front. (I will try to get a picture of both and post it.)

Does this piece sticking out in front of the ejector sound normal? I don't recall ever seeing one like it before. If not, should I just file off the excess to match the other pistol and see if that fixes it?

Thanks for any help, folks!

SP4u

RickB
September 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
Your ejector sounds like a short version of a long. When Colt developed the Commander, they put an extended ejector on it, to help make up for the shorter slide stroke; the ejector would hit the case head earlier in the cycle, and there'd be more time for the case to get out. Some people decided this would be a good idea on all 1911s, and most guns made today have some form of extended ejector. While the extended ejector does hit the case early, you lose something, as well. The live round rising in the magazine helps kick out the empty case when a standard ejector is employed, but a long ejector contacts the case head before the magazine has been uncovered by the slide.
Is the ejector tight on the frame? What shape is the tip that contacts the case? How is your extractor tension?

john in jax
September 4, 2007, 03:56 PM
Have you tried different mags? Does it jam in a similar fashion with different mags?

Just my 2 cents, but I believe in the shotgun approach . . .

I think I'd start swapping in a new, lighter recoil spring

If that didn't fix it I'd swap in a new Ejector and Extractor

Inexpensive "quick" fixes and it is good to have spares on-hand anyway.

Skypilot4u
September 6, 2007, 08:08 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding. Got projects going....you know how it goes...

RickB: Thanks for the info. Regarding your questions:

1. Is the ejector tight on the frame? Seems tight, but there is a sliver of light that can be seen between it and the frame.

2. What shape is the tip that contacts the case? Looks pretty much square.

3. How is your extractor tension? Seems fine, it sure holds onto the case well....I have to use something to get behind it and pop it out.

John in Jax: Regarding your questions/comments:

1. Have you tried different mags? Yes, Colt factory mags, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

2. Does it jam in a similar fashion with different mags? Oh yeah!

3. I think I'd start swapping in a new, lighter recoil spring. I tried 4 different spring/guide combos and nothing made it better.

4. If that didn't fix it I'd swap in a new Ejector and Extractor. I tried a different extractor (brand new Brownell's) and it didn't seem to help. I think I will just grind down the extended tip from the extractor, as I've never had any problem with the standard shaped ones.....it certainly isn't working as is, and at worst I have to buy a new extractor, right? Can't complain since I only have less than $200 into the monster anyway! :D

I did some shaping of the bottom of the chamber lip and it seems to feed much more reliably...at least with hand-cycling it, anyway. If the only problem that remains is the fail to eject, then I'll go ahead and re-shape the extractor. I hope to have time to get to the range this weekend and test it a bit. I'll post the results if I do get to go shoot it.... :o

Thanks again!!

SP4u

RickB
September 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
You might want to go back and edit your last post; looks like you've used "extractor" for "ejector", two or three times?