PDA

View Full Version : House Safety

Desert4
September 3, 2007, 11:48 PM
How do you guys keep loaded clips around the house. I have a freind that says it is very bad for the clips to be loaded near max capacity for long periods of times. What is your oppinion?

oldbillthundercheif
September 3, 2007, 11:51 PM
He is wrong. Don't worry about it.

Desert4
September 4, 2007, 12:19 AM
you say that leaving a 12 round clip of .40's is not bad for it then?

oldbillthundercheif
September 4, 2007, 12:26 AM
Springs get worn out by being cycled, not sitting around. If the magazine was built to hold 12 rounds, load it with 12 and forget about it (until the next trip to the range, anyway).

Constantly loading and unloading a mag will wear it out relatively quickly, if it just sits around it will be kosher pretty much forever.

JohnKSa
September 4, 2007, 12:29 AM
If the springs are good quality and the magazine design is good you won't have a problem with it for a very long time. Not even if you leave it loaded for long periods or use it a lot.

If you notice the springs weakening significantly then replace them and underload the magazine by a round or two for storage. Otherwise it's not an issue.

MyXD40
September 4, 2007, 11:21 AM
Always 12 rounds in every 12 round clip for my XDs. Loaded in gun, most the time a 13th bullet in the chamber.

I never carry spare clips anywhere in my house. well, I mean I do, in the safe built into my nightstand (looks sharp, black and chrome). Digital keypad so four digits and safe is unlocked for quick/easy access

KrustyBurger
September 7, 2007, 10:36 PM
My experience (& opinion) over time, changed. Back from the early '90s-on I used to use a Beretta-made Browning BDA .380 as a "car gun." I downloaded by two rounds and rotated three 13-round OEM mags regularly, never more than 6 months. It worked fine for several years - never a function problem in regular range practice - until a nasty surprise just a few years ago when I began to experience jams with fmj in two of the mags. I 'retired' that gun for awhile and opened the floorplates and let the springs decompress to full length for quite awhile, also stretching them gently, just a hair, to aid in regaining their original length/tensile ability. It seemed to work - all three returned to functioning flawlessly as they had before. BUT - I decided to replace all my standing or hidden defensive pistols with revolvers [+ extra rounds in HKS spdloaders] and haven't looked back since. Long story short, I no longer have to worry about mag/spring issues, or having to deal with replacement springs or hicaps here in this still-restricted Clintonista state. Wheelguns aren't perfect - nothing mechanical is - but I feel much more assured of it going bang at a time when I need it most, and can ill afford to be distracted by function issues.

Wrangler5
September 7, 2007, 11:17 PM
How come nobody ever asks about the constant pressure revolver springs are under even when they're not cocked, and whether they ought to take off the grips and "unspring" the hammers when the gun isn't in use??

I've actually had a revolver mainspring die on me, but it was in a Colt Single Action Army that was made in 1896 and the spring worked fine into the mid 1990s before going soft. (The spring will still fire the gun, but it's not strong enough to keep recoil from recocking the hammer far enough to rotate the cylinder about half way to the next chamber.)

bcrash15
September 8, 2007, 12:17 AM
The type of failure due to long-term loaded magazines is called spring set. It is not a true mechanical failure (as in parts breaking), but being highly compressed for long periods of time can affect the properties of the spring and it won't rebound to it's original position, potentially causing feeding problems (more likely near the end of a mag.)

That being said, most manufacturers take this into account and design quite a large margin into the springs in a gun. Loading/unloading cycles are much more punishing on a spring, but when you start getting on the order of decades I would start worrying more about set.

I've heard stories of 1911 magazines loaded in WWII that were shot recently without issue. Of course no sources or anything, just something I've heard of.

Elvishead
September 8, 2007, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure, but I keep 15 rounds in a 16 round clip, and one chambered. My back up clip (16s) which I'm sure I'll never need, I keep 12 rounds instead of 16.

I have 3 back up clips. One on every side of the house, along side with the .357 speed loaders.:D

sholling
September 8, 2007, 03:25 AM
I have a friend that says it is very bad for the clips to be loaded near max capacity for long periods of times. Assuming quality magazines your friend is wrong. It's just an old wives tale or urban myth or whatever you want to call it. It's been shown over and over again in tests, and rehashed endlessly on every shooting board I've been on and I've been around a bit, the general conclusion is that keeping a magazine loaded for years on end is just fine. However if it makes you feel better then keep it one round shy of a full load.