PDA

View Full Version : When buying a Semi-auto what features must it have & why? or Can't have? & why not

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 05:25 PM
Title says it all. Some people are neurotic about this.

Mine are these. I don't mind stryker fired guns, But If it has a hammer, I want to be able to see and USE it. I don't like bobbed or hidden.

Not a big fan of mag disconnects either, but, I can deal with them

AK103K
September 3, 2007, 05:36 PM
As long as it has "SIG SAUER" with PXXX on the slide, DA/SA trigger, and night sights, I'm happy. :)

JWT
September 3, 2007, 05:40 PM
I have to like it and it has to go 'bang'.

Manedwolf
September 3, 2007, 05:47 PM
It should not require that you pull the trigger to take it down in disassembly. I consider that a dangerous design flaw.

Officer's Match
September 3, 2007, 09:09 PM
I kinda' agree with you re: bobbed hammers.

I hate slide mounted decocker/safeties, and yes my PPK does have one, which only reinforces my opinion on the matter. And as I rediscovered yesterday, I dearly love my PT92, and can't imagine inflicting such a design on such an otherwise beautiful looking and magnificent shooting pistol. I really wish Beretta would make a 92 copying Taurus' safety design.

I am not fond of the looks of accessory rails on most pistols, although not universally.

I don't like pistols that sight high above the grip.

dwatts47
September 3, 2007, 09:28 PM
To me it must have the ability to be readily modified and customizied to be ideal. I have Wilson Combat that is Uber classy, due to its array of custom features. the same gun is almost , uhum, boring due to its array of custom features. I like to buy pistols in combat modification ready state. Example I don't have one Glock that didnt have the stock sights replaced with in the first day of ownership. Yes it can be bought with (insert brand name) sights on it arleady, but its more fun to tinker with sight systems and replace as I feel neccessary.

Same thing for all my Sig's .. bought them with contrast sights, stock grips, and stock triggers so I could add Hienes', Nills, and Short triggers on my own as i saw fit.

I guess for me the required elementfor purchase is that the gun be %100 reliable in stock form...I can add the custom touches myself. And yes I have sent more than one pistol to Various pistol smiths to 'ensure' the already possesed to hell and back reliability.

hoytinak
September 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
It should not require that you pull the trigger to take it down in disassembly. I consider that a dangerous design flaw.

I agree, that was one of the main reasons I sold my Glock, just couldn't get used to it.

joab
September 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
Can't be DAO
Should be DA/SA
Must have real working hammer

DWARREN123
September 4, 2007, 12:34 AM
I want all steel, decent trigger, decent sights and it has to fit me perfectly.

MTMilitiaman
September 4, 2007, 01:06 AM
It must of course be reliable in function, simple in design and operation, and durable in construction...

It must be lefty friendly.

If it is not for CCW, it must have a light rail.

It must have a consistent trigger pull from shot one to slide lock--no DA/SA :barf:

It should have night sights--in fact, I almost insist.

And other than that, I am pretty open, although I can tell you it probably says '10mm Auto' or '.45 ACP' on the slide, and is probably either a Glock or a 1911.

Silentarmy
September 4, 2007, 01:09 AM
I would prefer no manual safety. No levers or unnecessary buttons on the frame or slide. "Magazine safeties Blow". I like Freedom revolvers as they are built like a Bank vault that just happens to fire bullets! Tight precise machining, no rattling or slop in actions! I have been on the "Dark Side" for 17 yrs and have not managed to shoot myself, the floor, or anything else while "pulling the trigger to Field strip" any of seven Glocks! Surely this could have nothing to do with common sense, Good habits, or strict adherance to safety rules! Must just be dumb luck!

MTMilitiaman
September 4, 2007, 01:32 AM
Yeah, a magazine disconnect is an instant disqualifier for me. Ick.

Silentarmy,

You mean they don't slay you in your sleep? Impossible. You mean they are just inanimate objects and are only as safe, or unsafe, as their user? Amazing...

I am sure you're experience with Glocks is unique. Everybody else's has kB'ed or melted or turned into a gremlin and attacked the kids :rolleyes:

StrikeEagle
September 4, 2007, 01:46 AM
I'm not sure how many of these are absolute with me, but here are a few things that come immediately to mind:

Say NO to accessory rails!
Say NO to forward slide serrations!
Say NO to PLASTIC! :eek:
Say NO to DAO!
Say NO to engraving! (Yes, NO!)
Say NO to weird wood, mother-of-plastic, or fake ivory!

sm
September 4, 2007, 01:51 AM
Prefer:
OLDer Single Actions.
Gov't Model of 1911 and BHP
Blued, wood stocks.

I will NOT do striker fired- period!

I own one plastic gun, I kept from T&E, and it has a hammer.
It fits a "niche" and while I would not buy or own another plastic gun, this one does fit the niche.

I do not care for DA/SA - So if I "have to" shoot a Sig, I will throw the first shot into the ground. Another "solution to an non-existent problem" IMO.

I refuse to own, even shoot a .40 cal.

Now toss me a 1911 in 9x23, we have a real gun in a real caliber.

I do not do P32, or P3AT, Gimme a Beretta Jetfire, it has a better trigger, history, proven and is accurate.

*grin*

Basically, anything made after the BHP , we don't need in platform or caliber.
Why even the 9x23 was around.
Heck anything made after 1955 we don't need in handguns, in platforms or calibers.

Marketing folks gotta eat I guess...

Manedwolf
September 4, 2007, 02:55 AM
Now toss me a 1911 in 9x23, we have a real gun in a real caliber.

Sarco has Star Super 9 Largos for about $130. That's pretty close to that in a 1911, isn't it?

Elvishead
September 4, 2007, 06:04 AM
All I ask for is, "reliability.":D

Cremon
September 4, 2007, 06:38 AM
No plastic guns.
Must shoot consistently/be reliable.
Must have a thumb safety.
Must have an external hammer.

mes228
September 4, 2007, 06:51 AM
I'm having a custom .45 built. I specified a Caspian carbon steel frame & slide, integral plunger tube, flat serrated slide top, ball cut slide, rear classic cocking serrations only, plain slide with no markings, Caspian adjustable defensive sights, Kart barrel (with reamed polished chamber), high grip beaver-tail, all EGW ignition parts, commander hammer, extended thumb safety with narrow paddle, flat mainspring housing with 20 LPI checkering, front strap 20 LPI checkering, extra thin plain rosewood grips, everything to be forged tool steel with no MIM parts.
Thats not all I included - just all I can remember at the moment. The things I left off and shouldn't be on any pistol are front cocking serrations, light rails,
bill boards on the slide, and anything called "tactical". Just my opinion.

C Philip
September 4, 2007, 07:01 AM
I think it's a lot easier to state the things you don't like. So here's my list, not including things like finishes and looks:

No DAO - I strongly dislike this kind of trigger.

No magazine safety - Useless IMO, and just one more thing that could break. I want my gun to go bang whether there's a magazine in there or not.

No built in locks! - If I want to lock it I'll put it in a safe or use an external trigger lock. This is one that I really hate.

It also must be accurate and reliable, but that goes without saying.

joab
September 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
Forgot one

NO BILLBOARDS

I know they are proud of their product and company name but I am not getting paid to advertise for them

P97
September 4, 2007, 08:04 AM
It would depend on it's intended use for me. If it was for target and range use, I could put with almost any gun as long as it didn't constantly jam. For Concealed carry and personal protection, I want a gun that has as few controls to operate as possible before firing and still be safe. I want a gun that feels and looks good to me. And last, but the most important, it must fire every time the trigger is pulled.

FirstFreedom
September 4, 2007, 08:22 AM
I dunno about "must have", but I'm getting to where I want:

-All steel construction
-Coil spring mag release design
-Very ergo smallish grip
-Needs to be in 9mm, .45, 10mm, or .38 super/super comp

easyG
September 4, 2007, 08:38 AM
No DAO's.
I prefer a single action pistol above all overs.

No forward slide serrations.
They're just ugly and I don't know anyone who actually uses them.

No accessory rails.
I don't use them and they make the pistol ugly.

I actually like a manual safety.
I think they are more forgiving of human error.

And I like pistols that are easy to field strip without the use of tools.

And I like pistols in 9mm, .45ACP, .40S&W, .22LR, and .357SIG.

I'm liking plastic guns less and less.

ATW525
September 4, 2007, 09:39 AM
Good:
9mm Para, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, .45 ACP or .45 GAP caliber
No manual safety
Consistent trigger pull
Polymer frame
Drop/firing pin safety
GLOCK logo on the slide

Bad:
Not 9mm Para, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, .45 ACP or .45 GAP caliber
Thumb safety
Grip safety
Steel frame
DA/SA action
No drop/firing pin safety
Non-GLOCK logo on the slide

kristop64089
September 4, 2007, 08:10 PM
Forgot one

NO BILLBOARDS

I know they are proud of their product and company name but I am not getting paid to advertise for them

+1

Axion
September 4, 2007, 08:19 PM
For me:

No guns that require a trigger pull to disassemble
No SA only without a manual safety (XD)
No DAO
Yes to good ergonomics and a smooth trigger.

dwatts47
September 4, 2007, 10:27 PM
I must be honest enough to say, for personal use, I'd probably never buy a pistol that had a european (under the heel) mag release.

Mas' Ayoob sometimes uses an old Sig 220 w/ heel mag release in the winter, due to thick gloves occassionally punching out a mag on an american gun. Very smart, but I don't live somewhere that gets that cold.

FS2K
September 4, 2007, 10:55 PM
1. Has to have a name that I can pronounce correctly. (Heckler & ____) Coke? Kotch? Kuhrct-it? Bad example cause I like HK's, but you get my meaning.

2. No weird off caliber rounds.

3. I agree with the guys who said that needing to pull the trigger to disassemble is down right retarded.

4. NO wiggly squirrely lines/grooves on it. No fish or snake scales either. Straight serrations are A-ok with me thank you. All those wavey lines and stuff look too girly to me. It's a gun, not a christmas tree. They don't need decorations.

5. NOTHING CHROME.

6. A Semi-Auto should have a strong finish on it.

7. 3-Dot or hi-Viz sights are a must.

8. A semi-auto should not rattle when shook hard.

9. Definately NO magazine safety.

10. Blatant copies of other designs that claim to be new and improved.