PDA

View Full Version : G17 vs G34

Ocraknife
September 3, 2007, 03:48 PM
Is there much difference between the G17 and the G34? I know the 34 is a little longer but is there a price difference? Is the 34 much easier to shoot accuratly due to the site radius? What do you all think? Oh, this gun would be pretty much a fun gun, a range puppy.

Thanks!

Nail Shooter
September 3, 2007, 06:01 PM
I own a bunch of Glocks, but not those two models. I have shot a G17 and G34, though, as my friends have them. I can shoot my G19 as accurately as a G17, but the G34 is the most accurate Glock that I've ever shot. YMMV. The G34 usually sells for more (maybe 50 bux, or so) in the gun shops that I frequent.

Nail

Ocraknife
September 3, 2007, 07:20 PM
I own a bunch of Glocks, but not those two models. I have shot a G17 and G34, though, as my friends have them. I can shoot my G19 as accurately as a G17, but the G34 is the most accurate Glock that I've ever shot. YMMV. The G34 usually sells for more (maybe 50 bux, or so) in the gun shops that I frequent.\\

$50 isn't enough to sweat, if it is more accurate (fun) then maybe that is the one. My other Glock is a G20 10mm. if that makes a difference.

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 07:24 PM
How do you like that g20( I assume this was the end result of your threads?:D)

Officer's Match
September 3, 2007, 09:00 PM
The 34 comes with some options that some people add to their 17's, namely, extended slidestop lever, extended magazine release (which I believe is the same release used on the slightly thicker 20/21/29/30 models) and a 3.5# connector for a lighter trigger. While I could take or leave the longer mag button, I personally do like the extended slide stop lever, as it makes it easier to manually lock the slide back. And I love the 3.5# connector - it's a must for me.

redblair
September 3, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not a huge Glock fan but if I buy one it will be the 34. I've shot most of the full size Glocks and it's by fan the most accurate and easy to shoot. As an aside, the most used gun at last years IDPA Nationals was the Glock 34.

Enjoy, but I'm sure you're going to! :D

B

evan1293
September 4, 2007, 07:38 AM
I've shot both quite a bit and I prefer the 17. For me, Im always faster (not by much though) with the 17. The 34 is a little softer shooting, a little better for distance shots and balences a little nicer. In my neck of the woods they're $150 more.

tulsamal
September 4, 2007, 09:08 AM
If I was in the military or for open carry as a cop, the G17 is tough to beat. Otherwise, the longer Glocks shoot slightly better for me.

I would urge you to switch from the G34 to the G35. If you buy the G34, you can buy a .22 LR conversion kit for it. And that's about it. So if you wanted to shoot some kind of game where you needed something bigger than a 9mm, you are out of luck.

If you buy a G35, you are set for .40 S&W. That gun was designed for IDPA right out of the box and it can do it. You can also get a .22 LR kit for it. You can ALSO get a 9mm barrel for it. Some people say the 9mm barrels aren't _quite_ 100% reliable in the .40 guns. I haven't seen that but I'll agree I wouldn't make the G35 with a 9mm my duty gun or something. But for cheap practice, hard to beat. And I'm saving the best for last. If you have a G35, you can get a Jarvis .357 SIG barrel and really have some fun. Ever since I got my .357 SIG barrel, my .40 hasn't gotten nearly as much use. That cartridge is just flat out fun to shoot and devastating on varmints around my property.

Gregg

Ocraknife
September 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
If I was in the military or for open carry as a cop, the G17 is tough to beat. Otherwise, the longer Glocks shoot slightly better for me.

I would urge you to switch from the G34 to the G35. If you buy the G34, you can buy a .22 LR conversion kit for it. And that's about it. So if you wanted to shoot some kind of game where you needed something bigger than a 9mm, you are out of luck.

If you buy a G35, you are set for .40 S&W. That gun was designed for IDPA right out of the box and it can do it. You can also get a .22 LR kit for it. You can ALSO get a 9mm barrel for it. Some people say the 9mm barrels aren't _quite_ 100% reliable in the .40 guns. I haven't seen that but I'll agree I wouldn't make the G35 with a 9mm my duty gun or something. But for cheap practice, hard to beat. And I'm saving the best for last. If you have a G35, you can get a Jarvis .357 SIG barrel and really have some fun. Ever since I got my .357 SIG barrel, my .40 hasn't gotten nearly as much use. That cartridge is just flat out fun to shoot and devastating on varmints around my property.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg. Actually, I already have a G20 in 10mm for my heavy artillery, I will probably get a .357 sig or a 9x25 Dillion conversion barrel for it just for fun.

I pretty much intend to keep the 9mm as a 9mm.

On a side note, I found my favorite local deal charges $90 more for the 34 than the 17 so I am going to take a look at them both and see which one feels right.

:)

redblair
September 4, 2007, 11:14 PM
Check prices online too. It's amazing how when you go to a dealer asking for their FFL info for a gun you may buy online how their prices change.

B

Ocraknife
September 5, 2007, 07:10 AM
Check prices online too. It's amazing how when you go to a dealer asking for their FFL info for a gun you may buy online how their prices change.

B

Thanks for the info, who is a reputable online seller?

redblair
September 5, 2007, 08:10 AM
Lots of places to look.

Jerry at Ordance Outsellers is usually very good. 34's list for 499. 17's for 470.

http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/index.htm

Steve at SCP is excellent.

http://www.scpfirearms.com/products.php?cat=firearms

I've never read anything but great reviews about Ken AKA WA.

800/992-4570

Best.

B