PDA

View Full Version : Proper Disposal of a Jennings Nine?

YounGun24
September 3, 2007, 02:53 PM
So, I was cleaning out my closet this weekend and came across my Bryco Arms Jennings Nine, and I was thinking to myself, "No dealer in their right mind would take this for any trade value (probably not even for a box of ammo)." And I know it would be malicious of me to try and sell this to a novice or even give it away. So that gets me to thinking, how does one dispose of one of these so that no one will ever use it again?

thoughts?

PS - if you question why I'm ridding myself of the Jennings Nine, you know even less about guns than I do .

Mahalaleel
September 3, 2007, 03:20 PM
I'll take it, use it as a decoration!

But really, have you tried firing it...? What ammo did you use if you did..?

Seriously, I'd take it and find some use for it, like a good paper weight, or put on the wall.

FirstFreedom
September 3, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'd probably just throw the slide into the trash one week, then after the garbage truck has come by, then throw the frame into the trash the next week. No one can hurt themselves if they can't put it together. Maybe even throw the barrel away separately the third week.

The Tourist
September 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
Do you have a hot plate?

Melt it down into slag, or just until it bends.

Might be fun to watch. If you decide to do this, make a short video.

cryption
September 3, 2007, 03:59 PM
what does it look like? Does it work?

Wildalaska
September 3, 2007, 04:02 PM
Crush the frame and slide then toss it away

WildthatswhatwedoAlaska TM

YounGun24
September 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
Cryption:
I've only ever been able to get one shot off before it jams and becomes completely useless. I then had to disasemble it to get the striking pin to unjam before it would fire again, only to jam after that shot. It's kind of like using a blackpowder gun, only more dangerous.:p

Tom2
September 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well at least he can sell the grips and mags to someone. Gun parts buyer might give you enough for the box of ammo you desire. Parts guys always looking for good mags to resell.

cryption
September 3, 2007, 04:22 PM
maybe a pawn shop will give you some money for it

Cremon
September 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
Those guns (really ANYTHING made by Jennings) seem to always show up in the hands of criminals.

brickeyee
September 3, 2007, 04:52 PM
Wait for a gun turn in and get some new sneakers.:D

sterno
September 3, 2007, 04:54 PM
You could mail all but the frame to me, I've been wanting to try my hand at engraving.

I'll pay for shipping...

paulboy16
September 3, 2007, 04:57 PM
i have a few jennings parts from a friends old collection, would pay $25 shipped for it.

paul

pm me please

ISC
September 3, 2007, 05:05 PM
In Fl the waiting period for pistols is waived if you trade in another handgun. I'd hang on to the Pistol and trade it in to a dealer next time you buy a handgun to get around the waiting period and if he knocks off $5 or throws in a box of ammo you have a bonus. Even if he doesn't do that, taking the new gun home the same day is a nice thing.

pennhead
September 3, 2007, 05:17 PM
...but leave the gun at home. Ask them if you can bring it to them for disposal, and ask about the proper procedure to get it to them so that it's never interpreted as a threat.

Yeah, maybe that's a little paranoid, but you sure don't want to stroll in there carrying it in plain sight, and certainly not in your pocket! :eek:

M14fan
September 3, 2007, 06:04 PM
Get some stone paving molds and simply cast the thing into one of them. Be sure you fill it with concrete first. Or simply pour a new concrete sidewalk and bury it therein.

Rimrod
September 3, 2007, 06:09 PM
Send it to me, maybe it can be fixed.

Tom2
September 3, 2007, 06:11 PM
If you are dead set on destroying it don't take it to the police or anywhere, just get out your hacksaw and do a government style demil. on it, then throw it in the trash. If it is the cast zinc alloy frame I suspect, it should not take much effort. Probably would melt with a butane torch too, if you want to make an artistic statement. Heat it till it wilts and call it Salvadore Dali's Jennings.

meanoldman
September 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
wait til the next gun turn in program and turn it in for $100 and buy some ammo.

ISC
September 3, 2007, 07:58 PM
I've brought guns into the gun store plenty of times. Leave it in a case and take it out in front of the salesman after talking to him and tealling him your intentions. Make sure you don't have a magazine in it and the mags aren't loaded.

keep it for the trade in. It would be worth $25 to me just to get around the waiting period. I paid that for a Lorcin once just for that reason (thatand a throwaway) and it allowed me to get a sweet deal on a nice stainless ruger security six that I otherwise would have passed up rather than drive 200 miles to pick it up 3 days later.

kirkcdl
September 3, 2007, 10:08 PM
If all else fails,sell it to Numrich,they'll make more than the original cost of the gun...:rolleyes:

W.E.G.
September 3, 2007, 10:37 PM
The DC police department gave me $100 for the last busted Jennings I had.

gordo_gun_guy
September 3, 2007, 10:46 PM
Those guns (really ANYTHING made by Jennings) seem to always show up in the hands of criminals.

Ahh, another of the Ring of Fire gun makers....I bought a Jennings .22 just on principal (Al Gore campaign issue).:D Seems to work a lot better than this 9, though.

Good on you for keeping junk away from novices/crooks, but I'm one of those guys that never sells guns; they just go to a deeper and darker part of the safe to fade into obscurity.:)

ranburr
September 3, 2007, 10:53 PM
Any dealer will take it because it will sell almost immediately at a high profit margin. It is a crap gun, but there is a market for crap guns.

SCREAMIII2006
September 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
A whimsical wind chime?
Then you can avoid the invetiable school fund raising co worker.:D

Archie
September 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
If you're a fisherman, you could use it for a sinker.

But I understand salt water will dissolve them in time.

joshua
September 4, 2007, 12:03 AM
Is this what it looks like?
http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/079549000/79549793/pix1443252343.jpg

If it is broken don't sell it to anyone, someone may count on it for their SD weapon. If you decide to sell it, first send it to get repaired. If that is to much of a hassle then cut the frame up and slide, if it was me I'll make sure the serial numbers gets torched up and melted. You can also let someone else take responsibility for it as long as they know what they are up against with. If I was in the states and all I have to do is pay the shipping plus the $20 for paperwork, I will take you up on it and I would fix it myself. josh

imp
September 4, 2007, 04:23 AM
Keep it, and keep it loaded. You never know when you may need a stinger.

tshadow6
September 4, 2007, 05:16 AM
Save it for the next "gun buy back". Profit off the anti-gunners! I heard of one guy traded 3 cheap guns for $100.00 each, then used the money to buy an AR-15.

1goodshot
September 4, 2007, 06:11 AM
You could buy a box of ammo and shoot it till it breaks. :)

Ralph2
September 4, 2007, 08:14 AM
I have a Jennings 22 that hasn't broke yet :p and an old Davis 380 and even a Lorcin 380. Don't ask, a particular weakness in my youth.

They are on most shops do not buy list. Can't imagine why?

I wanted to dispose of the Lorcin as it was taking up valuable space in the dungeon arsenal room. I will wait for a "buy back" program now and possibly finally make money on a sale. Or cut the barrel and cast it in Lucite for a paperweight/doorstop. :D

hhb
September 4, 2007, 08:23 AM
You might check with the local police department. Our department has a supply of various types of handguns to show officers how to unload the various ones.

CajunBass
September 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
You've had it all this time and it didn't eat anything. Why get rid of it?

I'd clean it, wrap it in an oily rag, and store it away with a couple magazines worth of ammo. There might come a day when you'll be glad to have a gun, any gun.

Rimrod
September 4, 2007, 11:45 AM
Now that there are so many experts on the Jennings Nine collected in one place, would you guys mind helping me out?

Here is a picture of my semi autos, I took to picture to put in a "show us your autos thread" but never posted it. And yes, there are two derringers in the picture.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26646&stc=1&d=1188923603

My Jennings Nine is just to the right of the H&K USP. When I first got it it had two magazines, one didn't work very well and I threw it away. The second one works perfectly.

Now here's my problem, what is the difference between it and any other handgun here? The Jennings is made of a cheaper material and will not have as long a service life as some of the others but I don't think they were made for IPSC competition or even people who want to shoot every weekend. But I can take it out and shoot any course or training exercise that any of the others will do and do it just as well or better. In fact I haven't been able to find one thing the others will do that the Jennings can't do. So please explain to me why the Jennings is a "crap gun". If I had to face an armed attacker and had the Jennings instead of any of the others how would it make any difference to me or the other guy?

oldcars
September 4, 2007, 11:49 AM
Proper disposal? Take it apart, fill it full of J.B weld, and use it for a shift knob!

p99guy
September 4, 2007, 12:15 PM
1. give it a viking funeral
2. use it as a target
3. paint it with glitter paint, and make it a part of a clear polymer
paperweight project.
4. weld it to the top of the mailbox
5. use it to steady that table with the one short leg.
6. make it into a rapper bling neckless, yo
7. use it to shell pecan and walnuts for festive holiday get to gethers.

RsqVet
September 4, 2007, 12:53 PM
If you just want to dispose of it, flame or sawzall cut the frame in a couple of places, just disposing of the frame intact could expose you to liability for obvious reasons as it could be built up again.

you could mill parts away to make it a demostrator type gun, though milling the "metal" it's make of could be an intresting experiance.

ISC
September 4, 2007, 01:03 PM
rimrod,

Most people haven't been as lucky as you, they have a well deserved reputation for being unreliable because so many of them were built with loose tolerances and/or wore out quickly because of that.

I had a 1980 Pinto once which was a really reliable car that ran strong and was actually pretty sporty. Just because the older ones were ugly and tended to explode when hit from behind they all got a bad rep. life is just that way.

If I had a good pinto I'd drive it but wouldn't go looking for one now since I can do better. pinto's are like Jennings, there may be some good ones, but all it takes is for one to blow up at the wrong time and you'll regret ever having one.

James K
September 4, 2007, 01:12 PM
I vote for the buyback, as you will likely get more than the gun is worth, but get a receipt with all the info. Buybacks are jokes anyway, with naive people thinking that crooks will turn in their guns. The only guns they get are from people as honest and foolish as the buyback promoters themselves. Of course, good guns are taken by the cops then either kept by them or sold right back on the street (which is why you get a receipt), but everyone feels sooo good.

Jim

Rimrod
September 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
ISC,

Thanks for the response. I don't know if I'm really lucky or if it's because I understand how guns operate and can tweak them if need be. I never had to do anything with the Nine except for the magazine issue, and there is a .380 and a .22 Jennings/Bryco in the picture also which never had a problem. The one in the original post sounds as if the firing pin is installed backwards though. And loose tolerences are what made the 1911A1 famous for reliability.

How many people actually had one blow up in their hand? How often has that really happened? As often as the internal lock on a S&W revolver self engaging or the barrel blowing off? As often as a Kimber slide breaking in two? I've spent alot of time around guns and have never seen any of these happen, I'm not saying don't happen I know they do. But does the Jennings blow up, because of the guns fault and not the shooters, any more than the others fail?

I too had a Pinto and the Jennings is not like them. The Jennings can run with the big dogs and do anything they can do, just not as long. The Pinto couldn't keep up with the others. My dad liked the Pinto because by the time it got going fast enough to get in trouble, I was at where I was going. I sold it and bought a '69 Olds Cutlass and burned the back tires off of it in a matter of weeks.

Cremon
September 4, 2007, 03:08 PM
If I had to face an armed attacker and had the Jennings instead of any of the others how would it make any difference to me or the other guy?

I personally don't know. But if you live out in the midwest, and you get attacked, your assailant may very well have the same gun.

Nice semi auto collection BTW. The second one down from the top on the far left - is that a 5906 or 6906? Also, nice Desert Eagles. You have all 3 calibers?

Tom2
September 4, 2007, 03:16 PM
I got a great idea today. Drill a bunch of holes in it at strategic spots so you can see inside of it and make it non fireable but not mechanically inoperable. Then sell it on gunbroker as a rare "factory cutaway" demo gun from the Jennings display at the 1987 Shot Show. No one will remember. It might bring big bucks that way and no liability if it cant shoot!

Rimrod
September 4, 2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks Cremon,

The S&W is a 4516, the camera angle sort of distorts how they look.

The Desert Eagles from left to right are: .357, .50AE and .41.

Rod

joshua
September 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
Rimrod, are those real Delta Elites or just grips? josh

Rimrod
September 4, 2007, 04:50 PM
joshua,

They're real. I bought one of them for $200. The dealer said he didn't think it would sell and didn't put much in it. It wasn't until after I bought it I realized he must have really ripped someone off.

The Glock next to them is a 20 and the S&W at the far left of that row is a 1006, in case you like 10mms.

Cremon
September 4, 2007, 07:10 PM
The S&W is a 4516, the camera angle sort of distorts how they look.

I am embarrassed I didn't recognize the 4516. That is my primary carry weapon. I have two of them - a 4516-1 and a 4516-2. They are my favorite guns. Though I put Hogue wood grips on mine. I have a 659 (9mm) too, but I don't carry it. It stays on my nightstand. I used to have a 5906, though I sold it because I didn't like the grip.

Your DEs are awesome.

even11
September 4, 2007, 07:26 PM
youngun 24 - let us know what you end up doing with it, I know I am curious!!

My vote would be to turn it in at the next police buyback, you will definitely get more than you would anywhere else, and you can take some money off some anti's too!! That or turn it in as a trade in on your next purchase if it saves the waiting period even if you only get $5 for it.

-Dane

Slugthrower
September 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
Look like a good stress reliever to me.

Field strip, place on nice solid surface, grab a serviceable 3lb maul and begin therapy session. Strike individual parts solidly and observe effects, repeat as necessary.:D

Rimrod
September 4, 2007, 07:50 PM
Your DEs are awesome.

Thanks Cremon, that's what I thought the first time I fired one. Like I said the angle made the 4516 look smaller than it is. Compare it to the 1006 and it really does look like a compact 9mm.

glennv
September 4, 2007, 08:54 PM
I know this is lame but before you destroy the gun you need to check the ATF's guidelines for destroying a firearm. There was a thread on this years ago and there apparently strict guidelines on how it's done. Pretty lame.

teejhot.40cal
September 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
Here is what I would do.

Step 1. Get a bunch of new shooters together
Step 2. Secure POS gun on a bench.
Step 3. Tie sting around trigger.
Step 4. Plug Barrel.
Step 5. Chamber Round
Step 6. Everyone get behind something at least 100'.
Step 7. Pull string and show new shooters importance of keeping your muzzle clear.

I like the idea myself.

RsqVet
September 5, 2007, 12:53 AM
A similar demo to what teejhot suggest could be constructed to show the value of careful reloading.

Again with apropriate safety precautions before anyone flames either of us.

Heck with the number of ammo testers and endurance testes out there playing around I wounder how long it will be before we see something like that... just how much over pressure can a ruger take?

joshua
September 5, 2007, 05:26 AM
cremon said: I used to have a 5906, though I sold it because I didn't like the grip.
Have you tried the 4006 grip on the 5906? I too don't like the 5906's stock grips and will get the 4006 grips on it.

rimrod said: They're real. I bought one of them for $200. The dealer said he didn't think it would sell and didn't put much in it. It wasn't until after I bought it I realized he must have really ripped someone off.
Wow! I won't rip you off and I offer you $300, that's a 50% profit already. :D

josh

YounGun24
September 5, 2007, 06:22 AM
Wow...
I actually feel too embarassed to reveal what I've done with the gun now that there are like 50 responses (all creative:D). Just another lesson in not being too hasty.

Since here in Louisiana, there is no waiting period to buy a gun, i felt i didn't need it to shave the wait off a new purchase.

didn't know of any gun turn-ins going on, although that might not have been a bad idea.

I wish I would have waited for the more creative methods of disposal to emerge, but sadly I simply broke the gun down and disposed of all the separate parts in different locations, to quote an earlier responder "so that it can't ever be reassembled. I still felt that any method of disposal was the most responsible thing to do with it, since this particular Jennings (for those of you arguing out there) was completely worthless.

oh well.

Tanzer
September 5, 2007, 06:47 AM
Buy flowers for an anti and use it as a vase.

joshua
September 5, 2007, 09:23 AM
Buy flowers for an anti and use it as a vase.

LOL! Send it to Rosie!

Rimrod
September 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
Sorry Josh, I like the Delta Elites, great gun in a great caliber. Besides the only guns I sell are Rugers.

3 weelin geezer
September 6, 2007, 03:24 AM
Super glue it to a table somewhere or take it to one of those gun buyback programs and get $50 for it.

Dj Dust
September 6, 2007, 04:42 AM
I will gladly take it off your hands I'll pay shipping and include a little something for you as well. Yes I know it's junk. I have some machining experience and have been trying my hand at gunsmithing....that is the perfect pistol for me to try new ideas on because it is already junk.

Also if anybody else has any junkers I'll at the very least hear your offer..

Rimrod
September 6, 2007, 08:15 AM
if you question why I'm ridding myself of the Jennings Nine, you know even less about guns than I do .

since this particular Jennings (for those of you arguing out there) was completely worthless.

At least now you know there is one person that knows less about guns than you do.:rolleyes:

busdriver72
September 6, 2007, 09:00 AM

Which give the rest of us a tacitcal advantage!:)

Davis
September 6, 2007, 01:20 PM
The first semi-auto pistol I ever bought was a Jennings 9 (with 13 round magazine but the slab-sided slide). It was a piece of junk. I sold it for $50 at a gun show and was glad to be through with it. Mine was junk, it hurt to shoot, it was not accurate nor was it reliable. I bought it not knowing the difference. It taught me a whole lot very early and very fast.

Davis

wolverine350
September 6, 2007, 01:24 PM
use various parts for fishing weights:D

Mahalaleel
September 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
Anybody else notice that he said he disposed of it days ago?

bigghoss
September 6, 2007, 07:14 PM
I sure did

Davis
September 7, 2007, 05:56 AM
Yeah, which is why I made no advice on what to do with it. ;)

Davis

TheNatureBoy
September 7, 2007, 06:43 AM
Go the the nearest hardware store, purchase a quality hack saw and cut it into pieces. 3 weelin geezer suggested a buy back program. Not a bad idea! Get something for it if you can.

joshua
September 7, 2007, 08:32 PM
but sadly I simply broke the gun down and disposed of all the separate parts in different locations, to quote an earlier responder "so that it can't ever be reassembled.

I'm sorry to hear that, I just hope you disposed of the receiver with the serial number on it, to where it cannot be found by anyone especially a smart criminal. I've seen parts for jennings on Ebay, so if the receiver is found it can still be assembled into a complete gun. That is why some folks adviced to cut or torch the receiver. josh