PDA

View Full Version : sig troubles

yngjsn
September 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
Howzit going,
I own a 226 in .40, relativly a new shooter. When I first purchased the gun the shop owner didnt have a 226 in all black, only two tone. Told him I can wait till next order came in but he insisted that he can take the slide off of a 357sig and put it with the gun chambered in .40. I know the barrels are interchangeable. Now the problem, The gun consistantly shoots approx 4 inches to the left at 25 yards. I thought I was the problem but today I had two experienced shooters fire my gun and they had the same problem. The sights are zerod. What can I do to help correct the problem. I know adjusting the sights will probably do the trick but not sure what other steps there are. I was shooting blazer 185 gr. Sorry for the long post.

hoytinak
September 3, 2007, 12:45 AM
If it's consistently shooting 4" to the left the sights are not zeroed. Adjust the rear sight to the right a little at a time till you get it zeroed.

yngjsn
September 3, 2007, 01:11 AM
The person who installed the siglite night sites said he set them to zero. I'll try and take the gun to someone else and get a second opinion. Thanks for the reply. Could there be posibly another reason?

hoytinak
September 3, 2007, 01:14 AM
The person who installed the siglite night sites said he set them to zero. I'll try and take the gun to someone else and get a second opinion. Thanks for the reply. Could there be posibly another reason?

When he installed them to "zero" he just centered them on the slide. Some pistols will need a little adjusting of the sights to get point of aim.

redblair
September 3, 2007, 08:08 AM
I'd agree that it sounds like the sight are the problem. A little movement of the rear sites and you should see the difference.

Best.

B

CraigJS
September 3, 2007, 09:07 AM
I have a Sig P226 that shoots to the left also. This is with a NUMBER of shooters shooting it. I've moved the sights, (rear to the right, front to the left) it still shoots left. I've seen MORE POSTS about Sigs shooting left or to a lesser number shooting low, than about any other problem. Is it the gun, hand placement, poor trigger control, design, or quality control issues??
I carry a CZ PCR that I shoot just fine, but the 226...
Sorry I didn't mean to jack the thread, just stateing what I've seen and read.
Be safe.

hoytinak
September 3, 2007, 09:42 AM
Maybe this will help (reverse if your left handed), if this is the problem try useing the SIG short trigger:
http://www.bghi.us/targets/rh_correction.pdf

CraigJS
September 3, 2007, 11:48 AM
I have the short trigger installed and I've seen the target with the sections in it. This seems to happen with everyone that has shot my 226. Maybe it's just not a good "fit" for my hand.
Like I said I've seen many posts about their 226s shooting left from the factory. I'll keep working on it though..
Be safe.

Freetacos
September 3, 2007, 01:04 PM
Get adjustable sights.

AK103K
September 3, 2007, 03:29 PM
I've moved the sights, (rear to the right, front to the left) it still shoots left. I've seen MORE POSTS about Sigs shooting left or to a lesser number shooting low, than about any other problem. Is it the gun, hand placement, poor trigger control, design, or quality control issues??
Are you saying the POI didnt change, even after adjusting the sights, or did it move, but not enough? Also, did you use a pusher or hammer them over, and are you sure they actually moved? If its consistently shooting left for all that shoot it, I'd send it back and ask them to correct it.

I've heard an occasional comment on some guns shooting low, usually due to an incorrect front sight, which is easily remedied, but I dont remember really ever hearing of the shooting left problem. I have shot quite a few SIG pistols and never run across the problem. I personally own 11. Of them, only one, a used P220 required any adjustment at all, and that was minor.

I've replaced a couple of sets of night sights on my SIG's. Its a simple and straightforward job if you have the tool. I always just zeroed the sights with the witness mark, and never had to touch them again. I would think that if its only 4" at 25 yards, it would only require a minor "tweak" with the tool to correct, one that you would probably have to shoot to confirm that it even moved. The couple of shops I deal with that do SIG and other sights using the SIG or similar tool said they dont test fire when they install them, and its my guess that a lot of shops dont.

If you have night sights and are going to attempt to adjust them yourself, use a tool. Dont hammer away with a hammer and punch.

IZinterrogator
September 3, 2007, 03:48 PM
You may also want to check the barrel crown for nicks, gouges, or other damage.

CraigJS
September 3, 2007, 04:26 PM
Used a sig sight pusher on both the front and the rear sights. POI moved some but with the rear moved right (easily seen offcenter), and the front moved to the left (to the point of the sight comming loose in the dovetail), it or I still shoot left of center (with the Sig). The gun is a CPO, less than 8 months old and looked pristine when I bought it. Like I said others have the same problem as I do (1-2" L at 30-40') I'm not giving up on it by any means. It's just a bummer to pay 550.00 for a gun I don't shoot as well as my PCR for 435.00. I'll keep working with it and kind of enjoy the challenge.. Thanks.
Be safe.

AK103K
September 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
Send it back, you shouldnt have to work on anything other than simple sight adjustments.

KrustyBurger
September 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
Hi, all. I've owned four different SIGs and have come to the conclusion that while they're well made, extremely reliable functioning pistols, the typical ootb is "combat accurate" - nothing more. No matter what I've tried: bench resting, various ammos, various distances, SAO, DAO, I could never get more than what in the end looked like a 00 buck pattern generally scattered around the X ring. Compared to my Smith 1911, CZ-75B or HK P7M8, well, single hole tack drivers SIGs ain't. I suspect it might have something to do with the lack of a barrel bushing (or other tight barrel fit), plus other aspects of loosy-goosy fit such as their often 'jiggly' rails. I believe SIG's 'little secret' is that they're meant to be loosy to help ensure save-ur-butt reliability, but unless you're a SWAT teamer with a factory-prepped pistol DON'T even think about hitting a perp standing half-hidden behind a hostage or some other Buffalo Bill-ian fine trick shot - it just isn't advisable with, again, a typical non-accurized, run-o-the-mill SIG.