PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Ammunition?

Fantomeacraindre
September 1, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm wondering what is the best way to buy a variety of 9mm ammunition to see what feeds through my new gun. I have very limited experience, but have seen a lot of you talking about trying out different brands and loads to see what shoots best through a particular weapon. Should I buy at the range, gunshop, online..? I need to find a reliable ammo for at the range and also a good personal protection round. Thanks in advance.

The gun is a Springfield XD 9mm 4 inch, in case you are wondering.

benny27
September 1, 2007, 08:33 PM
The only thing you need to practice with are 115gr.fmj in any of the main manufacturers such as winchester, remington, or any U.S. made surplus ammo , stay away from foreign ammo as a general rule of thumb even though you can but it cheap. If you're going to carry +p ammo for defense then it wouldn't hurt to practice a little with that either, but not to much (hard on the gun), but as far as general practice U.S. made fmj is all you need. Cabela's has pretty good prices for 9mm surplus ammo, I would check that out as well at Cabela's.com

Defense:cor-bon , Black Hills, federal hydra-shocks , always use hollow points for expantion, anyways these are just a few

senior
September 1, 2007, 08:47 PM
try walmart if in san antonio houston area, i bought some for i beleive 9.57 a box of 50 ( cc blazer brass), if counter help says they are out, ask them to check the "back room" where they keep extra, usually they have a sh... load back there and counter folks aren't aware many times

Night Watch
September 1, 2007, 08:57 PM
:) Yup! Go to Wal-Mart. Try any of: Blaser, brass or aluminum; Winchester, 'White Box'; and Remington, 'Green Box' or UMC ammuntion.

115 grn FMJ is what you need for practice.

Afterwards try: Remington, 'Golden Saber'; Federal, 'Hydra-Shok'; or Speer, 'Gold Dot' ammunition and verify that each works in your XD. (They should!)

More than likely one of these is what you'll carry.

Simple, right! ;)

Taurus_9mm
September 1, 2007, 09:00 PM
That's pretty sound advice. Personally for practice, I generally use WWB, S&B and Blazer aluminum or Blazer brass in 9mm.

For self-defense you'll undoubtedly get varied responses. Currently for self-defense I'm using Speer Gold Dots in my 9mm pistols. I'd feel just as comfortable though with one of other brands i.e. Hornady TAP, Federal Hydra Shok, Remington Golden Sabres, Winchester SXT, Buffalo Bore etc. Perhaps you can get a few representative samples of the better quality SD ammo and see which ones your pistol shoots the best to give you a better idea.

Best Wishes. :)

JWT
September 1, 2007, 09:01 PM
I shoot mainly the Blazer aluminum 115gr FMJ. It functions well in my 3 9mm's and is almost always the least expensive ammo I can find. Also quite 'clean'. I've been ordering quite a bit of it on the internet from Nachez when I can't find it in one of the local big box stores for a decent price.

Cremon
September 1, 2007, 09:29 PM
stay away from foreign ammo as a general rule of thumb even though you can but it cheap.

I fully agree. At BEST you have ammo that will really dirty your gun and make you work hard at cleaning it with the powder solvent. At worst, you might mess up your gun. Nothing like having to take a pistol to a gunsmith to have a bullet rammed out of the bore because some foreign ammo company didn't put enough powder in the cartridge.

Wal Mart has good prices on practice ammo - but for the real thing (shooting two legged predators) you will want something like Federal Hydra Shok ammo or Remington Golden Saber (I prefer Hydra shok in my 9mm and Golden Saber in my 45's) - and I have not found a Wal Mart that carries either of those two premium man-stopping cartridges. I have to order those online or buy them at my local gun store. But just make sure that the bullet weight of your practice ammo is the same as your personal defense ammo. If your hollow points are 115 grain, then buy 115 grain ball ammo to practice with.

oldbillthundercheif
September 1, 2007, 11:23 PM
There is a lot of high-quality foreign ammunition out there. Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, Prvi Partisan, Dynamit Nobel, Norma, Lapua, Radway, Rottweilschache, ect...

Don't listen to these knuckleheads, the only foreign ammo they know about is Wolf.:D

These guys have a lot of neat 9mm loadings:
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_61_119&sort=products_sort_order&page=1

Night Watch
September 2, 2007, 12:27 AM
:eek: Jeeze! I wouldn't rate Sellier & Belloit or Fiocchi in the same class with Dynamit Nobel, Norma, or Lapua. S & B and Fiocchi have, both, had out problem batches of ammo in the last two years. :(

oldbillthundercheif
September 2, 2007, 03:07 AM
Yeah, some are better than others. I like Fiocchi, though.

T. O'Heir
September 2, 2007, 03:20 AM
"...to see what feeds..." It's not just to find the ammo that cycles the pistol. It's also to find the ammo your pistol shoots the most accurately and cycles the pistol. Ammo has to do both.
Just remember you don't have to buy it all at once.
"...the range, gunshop, online..." On-line will cost you a fortune for shipping. Ranges tend to sell reloads and/or have higher prices. Your local gun shop is best, but they may not have much selection. Supports a small businessman too.
It's hard to beat Wally World for pricing. They tell the manufacturers what they will pay for what they sell and they buy by the truck load. Sometimes the train car load.
"...to have a bullet rammed out of the bore..." That happens with all ammo from time to time, but why would you take it to a smithy?
"...for at the range and also a..." Practice with the ammo you intend using. You'll be reloading sooner or later, so keep the brass. Shooting factory ammo gets expensive quickly.

Cremon
September 2, 2007, 07:55 AM
I generally avoid foreign ammo because I got burned so many times. I am sure SOME foreign ammo is ok, but I don't mess with em. I can get Winchester FMJ ammo cheaper at Wal Mart than any of these guys can get their foreign ammo at a gun store anyway. And when I buy my ammo online, depending on where I buy it I either pay no shipping at all, or very little, comparatively speaking.

Practice with the ammo you intend using.

If you're rich, this is a good idea. I have done well buying ball ammo with the same bullet weight as the ammo I intend for home defense. I agree that you should shoot the premium ammo from time to time to be sure the feel is the same as the practice ammo - I do this when my premium ammo has sat on the shelf for a long time. But do I practice with my premium man stoppers? No, not all the time. I can't afford that. Using ball ammo of the same grain weight has served me very well.

Night Watch
September 2, 2007, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Oldbillthundercheif
Yeah, some are better than others. I like Fiocchi, though.

:) Yeah, you're correct! When Fiocchi makes it right it really works well: powerful, clean, & accurate. I showed up for my first NRA instructor's certificate without any extra ammo and had to purchase four boxes of Fiocchi 45 acp in order to qualify. It was very good ammo! ;)

By the way, what's a, 'cheif'? :D

Silvanus
September 2, 2007, 11:25 AM
stay away from foreign ammo as a general rule of thumb even though you can but it cheap.

S&B and Fiocchi is very good ammo in my opinion. I usually don't use anything else in my 9mms and .22s.

Fiocchi is loaded pretty hot so it would be good to practice with in you defense gun. The recoil is more close to your defense +p ammo than with other brands.

oldbillthundercheif
September 2, 2007, 02:52 PM
:D

I always thought that "ei" looks better after a "ch" than the grammatically correct "ie".

Night Watch
September 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
:rolleyes: 'I before E except after C or when sounded as A as in neighbor.' :p

(Sorry, but, I don't trust Sellier & Belloit the same way I would Fiocchi.) ;)

VUPDblue
September 2, 2007, 03:28 PM
Jeeze! I wouldn't rate Sellier & Belloit or Fiocchi in the same class with Dynamit Nobel, Norma, or Lapua. S & B and Fiocchi have, both, had out problem batches of ammo in the last two years.

So has Winchester, Remington and Federal....

Night Watch
September 2, 2007, 03:37 PM
So has Winchester, Remington and Federal ...

:confused: Yes, I know about Federal; but, what have I missed about Winchester and Remington?

BillCA
September 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
+1 on Fiocchi being good ammo as well as pretty snappy too.

Try to practice with the same weight bullet as your carry ammo. I've found that the Speer 124gr Gold Dots work well in my S&W autos and are very accurate. Federal Hydrashoks are less expensive and can still be had in boxes of 50 instead of 20 which is more cost effective. These are also good in my S&W's and seem to be almost as accurate.

I did some price analysis back in July to see if any specific internet dealer was always cheaper. The answer is NO if you are buying different calibers.

Playing the percentages;
Of the ammo checked, Natchez had the best price 62% of the time

Sportsmansguide.com rated 60% but had less of a selection. If they carry it, their prices will be "close" to Natchez.

CheaperThanDirt isn't. But they do offer a good selection and often have very good prices on ammo. Their prices on Gold Dot and Hydrashocks were some of the best.

Disclaimer: This was based on July pricing from websites. Prices went up on Sept 1. Do your own research as prices may have changed the players significantly.

VUPDblue
September 2, 2007, 10:52 PM
Winchester has an active recall right now on a batch of .22, Federal had a bad batch of .45LC in 2005 and CCI/Speer had several bad batches of the GDHP in various loadings in 2003.

Whirlwind06
September 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
More then likey the WWB ammo at Wal-Mart is made off shore.
I have not had any problems with S&B and Fiocchi.

CraigKN
September 4, 2007, 01:33 PM
My CZ P-01 likes Sellier & Bellot 115g FMJ. I've only shot about 300 rounds through it, zero problems. S&B is also the ammo that was listed on the test target my P-01 came with. I figure if the factory uses it to test with, it should work pretty well.

Based on recommendations from this message board, I also purchased a quantity of Georgia Arms 115g FMJ and 124g Gold Dot P+.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/

For Gold Dot based ammo, the Georgia Arms seems to be the cheapest. They currently do not offer 147g Gold Dot on their website, however. The 115g FMJ rounds are more expensive than the S&B, but I figured I'd try them out as well.

I buy my Sellier & Bellot from http://www.natchezss.com/. Even with shipping, its a great deal, and I do not have to deal with shopping at Wall Mart. The few times I've tried buying ammo from Wall Mart, its always turned into a hassle. I'll buy online and have my ammo waiting for me at home.