PDA

View Full Version : M&P Corrosion

KyJim
September 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
I bought a SW M&P (fullsize 9mm) recently. I shot it, field stripped it, and cleaned it per usual method for semi-autos. Three or 4 weeks later, I shot it again and field stripped it. There was greenish-blue corrosion over half the spring on the guide rod. :eek:

I was able to get most of it off, but there is still a bit I couldn't get off. For those who don't have an M&P, the spring is integral with the guide rod. I was at a loss as to the cause until I remembered shooting a few rounds of some old Wolf Ammo I had on hand. It was supposed to be non-corrosive but I'm beginning to wonder.

1. Did Wolf Ammo used to be corrosive or could there be another cause?
2. Any suggestion on better cleaning of the corrosion? Perhaps a solution to soak it in? I used BreakFree CLP and cleaned on it for at least an hour.

Thanks.

Cremon
September 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
I've shot Wolf ammo before (very dirty ammo - I won't use it again) from my S&W 659. Mine's a Smith & Wesson, but not one of those polymer frame guns, though that shouldn't matter. I never got any corrosion from shooring Wolf ammo in my S&W stainless steel gun.

How long did you wait before cleaning your gun after shooting the Wolf ammo?

IM_Lugger
September 1, 2007, 04:47 PM
There was greenish-blue corrosion over half the spring on the guide rod

Umm half of the recoil spring is painted blue... ;)

I'm guessing .40 M&P recoil springs are painted in different color. Kinda like with Sigs; they use colors to differentiate between spring weights.

W.E.G.
September 1, 2007, 04:57 PM
Umm half of the recoil spring is painted blue...

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/homersimpson.gif

KyJim
September 1, 2007, 09:25 PM
How long did you wait before cleaning your gun after shooting the Wolf ammo?

I cleaned it the same day. I would have just sprayed the guide rod and spring and wiped it off quickly. Only 1/2 the spring was a different color which leads me to the next post . . .

Umm half of the recoil spring is painted blue...

Uh, well, I guess I didn't notice this before. Do I feel dumb. :o

I've got over a dozen assorted semi-autos and never have seen this before (but this is my first 'plasic' gun). Thanks.

Shane Tuttle
September 1, 2007, 10:44 PM
Uh, well, I guess I didn't notice this before. Do I feel dumb.

Don't. It would have been dumb not to utilize this forum for its intended purposes. And that's to discuss and ask questions no matter how "dumb" they are (unless you already know the answer).

At least you learned a thing or two today. And that's always a good thing...;)

45reloader
September 2, 2007, 12:36 PM
Well said Tuttle8

Why do they color the spring? to tell at a glance what spring weight it is?