PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new S&W M&P 45?

Tibu
August 31, 2007, 07:45 PM
I saw on my latest Guns & Ammo the article on the new M&P 45. They gave it high marks for everything except maybe the procedure to disassemble. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to actually test one out. I am currently in the market for a .45ACP pistol (be it 1911, Hk, XD, M&P, etc.), and I would like to know anyones opinion on this new model. My local gun shop doesn't have one in yet but they said they should have them "soon".

wolverine350
August 31, 2007, 09:13 PM
I personally don't have one yet lol, but i have looked into them , smith has a lot goin with the new m&p, i actually like it over the xd and the glock, the grip and feel of the gun seems to be better to me than the xd and the glock, and the way the chasis is designed it should be a good work horse of a 45 the sights are excellent as well:)

Lunker
August 31, 2007, 09:56 PM
I really like the M&P in 9 and 45. I haven't tried the 40 yet. I would get one, but I'm waiting for the the new M&P 45 that is Commander-style. Supposedly it will be coming out in the early fall (at least according to the guys on the M&P forum).

Shane Tuttle
August 31, 2007, 11:02 PM
I've only handled the .45 and 9mm version of the M&P's. Not my cup of tea. I can't remember if it's all the new models or not, but I don't like the idea of that mag safety.

I don't think it's an unreliable gun, nor built poorly. Just doesn't call for me...

I see that you're looking at other makes. As much as I don't like Glocks, I must still recommend you looking at them also. Just because they don't work for me doesn't mean it wouldn't for you...

Gary L. Griffiths
August 31, 2007, 11:03 PM
I saw on my latest Guns & Ammo the article on the new M&P 45. They gave it high marks for everything except maybe the procedure to disassemble.
You were expecting, maybe, that they would ever say it was a POS? :rolleyes:

BluesBear
September 1, 2007, 12:38 AM
but I don't like the idea of that mag safety.
The .45 doesn't have a mag safety.
With the other calibers it's only an option anyway. They can be purchased without it.

Arabia
September 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
The .45 version is not available for sale yet in Massachusetts. I have held the .40 version and I liked the feel of it more than a Glock. But, I did not like the trigger, it was long and gritty. Similar to a Sigma. IMHO The Glock trigger was better with a clean smooth feel to it. I did not try to disassemble the M&P at the store, so I can not compare to other guns. I would probably buy a .45 version but not the other models since there is a magazine capacity limit in this state.

shepherddogs
September 2, 2007, 08:04 PM
M&P 45 is ergonomic, surprisingly smooth feeding and reliable and quite accurate. The only problem I see is the hard trigger pull. If they would lighten the triggers they might just put Glock out of business. They look better, feel better and shoot as least as well as a Glock. Also slimmer profile for ccw vs G21. I like em.

thinktwice
September 2, 2007, 09:42 PM
I own a M & P 45 plain jane (no safety or mag disconncet) The weapon feels and shoots great, however as others have stated the trigger feels a little "gritty" at first but after a few hundred rounds that gets better. As I said it shoots great but the accuracy comparison to my Glock 21 or even my Glock 30 is not there. Both Glocks are more accurate at all distances. Don't get me wrong the M & P could be just as accurate. It could be me. I am just telling you from my point of view. It may be due to the fact that I have been shooting Glocks mostly for several years. But overall I think the M & P 45 is as good in quality as a lot of the other big name brand weapons, maybe even better than some.

tsix
September 3, 2007, 02:19 PM
I have the M&P 45 (about a month now)and I can tell you it is a "blast" (pun intended) to shoot. I have had zero problems with the gun, ~500 rounds of WWB and UMC, half FMJ and the other half JHP, with some Cor-Bon DPX 185 thrown in for good measure.

I can highly recommend this gun. I put the small backstrap on it for most of the shooting, but plan on switching back to the medium...accuracy is as good as I get with anything except maybe my Mark 1.

Some complain of the trigger, but mine is fairly smooth and I would say slightly better feeling than my G36. Recoil is not bad at all, probably better than on the 1911 I had, but I did not shoot them side by side. Certainly not any worse. Getting back on target after firing was no problem.

As for field stripping, it does have one extra step involved, "flip the sear deactivation lever down", But since this prevents having to pull the trigger to disassemble, I don't find it to be an issue.

Buy it! Shoot it! Enjoy it! oh, and let us know what you think if you do get it...

bubba182
September 4, 2007, 10:41 AM
I own an M&P9 and out of the 15 guns I rented when I was getting ready to purchase a new pistol the M&P9 was the most accurate handgun I ever shot out of the box. Probably due to the way it fits my hand and eye. The first 50 rounds I shot at 15 yards I put the whole box thru the bullseye with only 4 rounds outside the black. This sold me instantly. I've fired about 800 rnds thru it with no issues. I alos shot the .45 cal M&P (not the new one), it too is a very accurate gun. But I couldn't justify the ammo cost as I don't reload my own, so I got the 9mm.