PDA

View Full Version : bersa thunder load problems

cryption
August 31, 2007, 05:03 PM
I just got a used Bersa Thunder .380 and every third or fourth shot, it jams while loading (stovepiping). It looks like the bulled going into the chamber is getting hung up before it can fully get into the chamber. It's frustrating I'm sure you guys can understand. Anyone have this problem and figure out how to fix it? Anything I can file down? Thanks

The Body Bagger
August 31, 2007, 06:19 PM
Try different ammo and break the gun in for at least 500 rnd.

cryption
August 31, 2007, 06:22 PM
I was going to get a new mag and yes try different ammo then the winchester white box I was using. Anyone who has a thunder experience this? I shouldn't think I would need to file the guide ramp

Sigma 40 Blaster
August 31, 2007, 07:43 PM
I haven't had a problem with any type of ammo used, WWB, Magtech, reloads...it all worked well with no feeding problems. The only question I would ask is how clean is the chamber and how well lubricated is the slide???

OldShooter
August 31, 2007, 07:44 PM
My Bersa didn't like hollow point, jammed most of the time. I just fed it FMJ, no problems there,

I always thought stove piping was when the ejected shell didn't quite get away and was caught by the slide.

I wouldn't file anything, maybe polish the feed ramp.

madmag
August 31, 2007, 08:33 PM
Make sure the magazine spring is not reversed. Easy to happen when cleaning the mag. The slope (angle) of the spring should fit the angle of the follower. If not it then does not provide proper support to the follower.

I had a Bersa Thunder .380..worked great. But I did have the above mentioned mag. spring problem on one occasion.

michael t
August 31, 2007, 10:12 PM
Thats not a stove pipe jam sounds like a Fail to feed. On a Bersa if you put recoil spring on wrong will have this very problem . Tight end down barrel Set other end of spring at 12 o'clock makes it easy to reassemble . You said its used .Recoil spring and mag springs are only couple bucks.
Do not touch with a file. Also have found some don't like the Winchester ammo.
Come to Bersa Talk http://bersatalk.com Excellent warrenty gunsmith has own tec.section and will answer your questions and if need be will have you ship to him. We have 1850 + Bersa owners as members.

Jbmoney21
August 31, 2007, 11:04 PM
Cryption you mentioned using different ammo than the winchester white box. I had some problems with the same ammo but in a kel tec p11. Had one jam in about 50 rounds. So try a different ammo

cryption
August 31, 2007, 11:18 PM
thanks for all the great replies guys, I have some good ideas of what to look at

cryption
August 31, 2007, 11:24 PM
what do you mean down barrel? The tight side goes around the barrel, it can't go together properly the other way it seems

michael t
September 1, 2007, 01:06 AM
Tight end on first. It can go together other way. Have had several at BT done it .

cryption
September 1, 2007, 09:28 AM
after I read it I tried the other way and I couldn't even get it back together, so I guess it's on right sicne the tight end is around the barrel. I have a Bersa brand magazine, but maybe the spring is worn out and it's time for new ones.

JohnLizCas
September 2, 2007, 06:09 PM
Make sure the mag says "Industria Argentina" on it otherwise it's not a genuine Bersa mag. Pro Mag makes a copy that others say are NOT so good. John