PDA

View Full Version : 1911 or bust

sterno
August 31, 2007, 09:22 AM
So I've finally decided that the next pistol I buy sill be a 1911 of some sort or fashion. My problem (well, one of my problems...) is which one or what platform. That where all you experienced 1911 folks come in.

Here's my basic criteria:

-Needs to be at least somewhat economical. I don't mean the cheapest I could get but the cheapest, well made 1911

-Needs to be shootable right out the box, but also able to be upgraded later

-Needs to be a reliable shooter. I may or may not carry it but I intend to shoot the hell out of it

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Edward429451
August 31, 2007, 09:35 AM
SA Milspec. ~500

ronc0011
August 31, 2007, 10:21 AM
Personally I like both the SA and the Kimbers, the Kimbers being my preference between the two and that because of A.) the QC on their manufacturing and B.) because their Customer Service is great. You should be able to find quality guns from both of these manufactures somewhere in the $750 range. I know all the Kimbers I’ve ever been associated with hit dead on right out of the box. Of course you can go up in price from there. Have a look at some of the stuff from the custom shops. Really cool stuff out there.

Richard
August 31, 2007, 10:34 AM
I like Springers but RIA pistols are less expensive. My RIA has been great. Regards, Richard:D

RIA GI:
http://www.armscor.com.ph/img/fsgiseries.jpg

My Ria:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p4d66bab29278db500b963e51ae7bc922/e9dfe474.jpg

RickB
August 31, 2007, 11:29 AM
Another vote for the Mil-Spec.

Wildalaska
August 31, 2007, 12:12 PM
Colts...the real thing

Timeless classic

Affordable

The best made

WildponyponyponyAlaska TM

Lurper
August 31, 2007, 12:28 PM
The best buy in 1911's right now is still the Taurus PT1911. I have had mine for 10 months now, put about 18,000 rounds through it without a malfunction. It comes with many of the features of higher priced guns and unlike a lot of the lower end 1911's it is forged, not cast. Its only weakness is the finish. Other than that, it is as good as any 1911. FWIW, I shot for Team Springfield for many years and have put millions of rounds through 1911's. The Taurus stacks up against any I have shot.

BigJimP
August 31, 2007, 02:55 PM
Personally, I think most everything Kimber puts out is not satisfactory out of the box - and its aggravating. If you're looking for economical 1911 to start with - I'd probably say Springfield or look at one of the Sig Revolution series.

The best 1911's right out of the box is Wilson Combat - and I'd recommend them but you're into that $2,000 - $2500 price range.

SOCOMII
August 31, 2007, 03:18 PM
I have a SA mil spec and a para pxt 1911. i am trading the mil spec in for a different 1911. the short trigger has a monster weight compared to the para ssp. i can't shoot it at all. the para is smoother but tighter, has no rattles and is more accurate for me, out of the box. The controls on the mil spec are tight. maybe step up to the SA loaded over the mil spec.

i would recommend something in the $700+ range for the best value.

michael t
August 31, 2007, 10:37 PM
I agree with Wildalaska a Colt.

Taurus_9mm
August 31, 2007, 11:17 PM
Lurper nailed it. Another vote here for the Taurus PT1911. Mine has been solidly flawless with no failures to feed, fire or eject. If Taurus would make a PT1911 in 10mm, I'd not hesitate to purchase another. :D

hoytinak
August 31, 2007, 11:36 PM
I've had great luck with every Springfield 1911 I've owned. I think the Mil-Spec is a great value.

StrikeEagle
August 31, 2007, 11:47 PM
If it doesn't bust the budget... just buy a Colt. Get a new manufacture Model 70... that's the classic without all the latterday doodads that JMB never thought of. ;)

Get it in Stainless. :)

If the price is not agreeable, look at the RIA. They have an excellent reputation among the .45 Auto buffs at http://forums.1911forum.com/

Have fun, good shooting! :)

.351winchester
September 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
"I like Springers but RIA pistols are less expensive. My RIA has been great. Regards, Richard"

They were, either MSRP has gone up or they're getting scalped but I've been looking and RIA's are going for about the same as the SA bargain basement GI model, like 450-470 OTD in these parts. Between the two, at that price...Actually I would love a RIA in Super .38 (still hundereds below any other competition) but if you're just talking .45's, it would be wise to get the bigger name brand.
I'd rather pay another hundered and get the Mil-Spec rather than the GI, due to reading that beyond the old-school controls, it is functionally the same as a Loaded. I think the Mil- Spec retails at 550. But again, around here, about the same as a PT-1911. I like the old standard 1911 feel and design just fine, and would not choose one over a refined, evolved style simply to save a few bucks. But in this case if I can get a higher grip with a beavertail and better thumb rest with extended safety, and without the look of something unfortuneately and wrongly considered...'antiquated', at the same price, (and not to mention, not just actually useable, but great sights) you bet I got a Taurus in Layaway right now.

Re: Taurus 10mm
The site last time I checked wasn't even listing the 9mm, 38 Super, or .40 versions anymore either. It wouldn't hold my breath for that. Just get a .400 Corbon barrel for now, or a converion for .45 or .40 Super, or .460 Rowland.

Officer's Match
I concur - Taurus should make a 10mm PT1911. Definitely the best buy at lower level. Or go higher and get a Dan Wesson - full of high quality parts.

Casimer
+1 on the MilSpec - read up on these, they've earned their reputation.

.351winchester
September 1, 2007, 01:51 AM
High Standard's no bells and whistles model is 440. IIRC at my local Gander Mountain, forgot to mention. Don't know much about the (new) company, quality wise on their .45's.

Also forgot, regarding your criteria-
-Needs to be at least somewhat economical. I don't mean the cheapest I could get but the cheapest, well made 1911
(just remember, the weapon out of the box is a one-time purchase. If you get a GI and decide you can't live without a skeletonized trigger for instance...see where I'm going with that? I'd really focus on what you want now. Tinkering and upgrading is cool but if money is an issue, might be better off paying now. It could cost hundereds and lots of time to bring a GI up to Taurus PT1911 features and shootability you could get now for 100. or less extra by going with Taurus. 600 is retail on those. That is not a lot of cheddar for a good sidearm these days, that's in Glock/Beretta territory, well below Sig, HK, S&W, etc. Outstanding for any gun that is 40 or so oz. of solid steel. And all enhancements relevant, no more no less IMO (I wouldn't add a mag funnel if it was free.

-Needs to be shootable right out the box, but also able to be upgraded later
(see above)

Rob96
September 1, 2007, 06:02 AM
Springfield Mil-Spec!

I purchased one that had one box of shells fired through it, for $366. After firing it and seeing what I wanted, I sent it into the Springfield Custom Shop.
Beavertail
skeleton hammer
10-8 Performance Long Trigger
4.5#action job
10-8 Performance rear sight
extended thumb safety
polish ramp and throat
repark the gun and small parts
Cost $420
Total with gun= $786:D

shepherddogs
September 1, 2007, 03:02 PM
Kimber Target II. Around $650.00 I think. The extra money spent up front will save you a lot of disappointment down the road.

David the Gnome
September 1, 2007, 06:14 PM
Rock Island Armory

http://www.sarcoinc.com/rockislands-new.html

katana8869
September 1, 2007, 09:09 PM
Another shameless plug for the Mil-Spec.

Nevertoomanyguns
September 1, 2007, 09:21 PM
I love all 1911's but I will have to push you towards the springfield full size fully loaded models.

ZeSpectre
September 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
I'm really leaning towards getting one of the Taurus PT-1911 models. All my guns and not a single 1911 model...I'm feeling a bit unAmerican :D

Now would a Brazilian made 1911 clone make me feel more American??? :rolleyes:

He he he.

Seriously though I know people who have Kimbers, RIA, and Taurus and all seem happy with them (though a lot of Kimbers seems to require a serious "break in" period).

WESHOOT2
September 2, 2007, 08:55 AM
1) Springfield Armory

2) S&W

3) Kimber

4) AutoOrdnance (Series 80, though)

These guns offer the best metal and the best chance for decent performance IF you intend to shoot them much.

Current 1911 collection: Caspian 45 ACP, SA 45 ACP, SA 9x19, on-its-way SA 40 S&W

Wildalaska
September 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
These guns offer the best metal and the best chance for decent performance IF you intend to shoot them much.

Recoomending your favs is OK, but lets not go too far...

Best metal?

WildcomeonnowAlaska TM

WESHOOT2
September 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
Forged parts, holes in right places, little MIM-mush (okay, a bit).

While I have heard that current Colt production is nearing the 19th century, I have not been able to confirm it personally; I can't find any, I don't see any, no one I know owns one, none of the more-local (as opposed to 'out of state') gun shops even carry the Colt brand, and I don't see modern models at any of the out-of-state USPSA matches I attend.

And let's say I find a new one and it checks out great; why would I (normally) pay more for a brand name?

Again, I could care less about who makes what where; I only care about "How good is it?"

Except Caspian, of course, but since they earned and maintain their high standards I manage to excuse myself about them :rolleyes:

ps were you an attendee of the ParaBoard some years back?
IAin'tSureButYouSeemFamiliarBoy

Rob96
September 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
I will side with WESHOOT on this. I had two Colts, and currently have a Springer Mil-Spec. First off the machining and fit of the Springer is superior to the machining and fit of the NRM Colt I had. Yes the Springer uses MIM, but I have never heard of an MIM failure with Springer, but I have heard of failures with the Colt slide stop which, correct me if I am wrong, is a forged unit.

AsfortodayColtdoesnotreignsupremeinproduction1911s:D

Wildalaska
September 2, 2007, 01:56 PM
First off the machining and fit of the Springer is superior to the machining and fit of the NRM Colt I had.

I think you need to go recheck.

SA machhining and fit and finish is waaaay down there on the bottom

WildalloftheotherbrandsarebetterAlaska TM

Rob96
September 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
It is quite evident from your posts that you clearly didn't drink the Colt Kool Aid, you dove in the tank.:eek:

Wildalaska
September 2, 2007, 02:37 PM
Along with all the guys buying them :)

WildsowellmadesohardtogetsoreasonablypricedsoclassicAlaska TM

Rob96
September 2, 2007, 02:43 PM
Did you miss the part where I said I had a NRM Colt and currently have a Mil-Spec, and the Mil-Spec was better?

Freetacos
September 3, 2007, 01:06 PM
Try and find a good mint Norinco, then put some Ed Brown parts on it.

RickB
September 3, 2007, 02:01 PM
I sold my Mil-Spec at a loss, so I could buy a Colt '91A1. The guns are very comparable, but there is certainly no clear-cut advantage to the Springfield, other than the price advantage afforded by offshore labor.