PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 trigger options

rauchman
August 30, 2007, 09:24 PM
Greetings all,

I was at the range last weekend with my 2nd Gen G19. I practice dry firing a lot with this pistol, but I was disappointed with my range results. I was averaging a 4" spread for 5 shots at 15 yards. I had one amazing group of roughly 1.25" with 4 shots going into a .35" hole. Strange when I fired that group, I knew the shots would be dead on even before the gun came down from recoil. I find shooting the G19 or any Glock for that matter a challenge. My other pistols (Sig P226 9mm, Beretta 92FS, HK USP45F, CZ75SA 40, Walther P5, HKP7, Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded) I don't dry fire practice with half as much, yet I get consistently better groups. Usually in the 1.25" - 2.0" range. There is "something" about the G19 that makes me want to master it though. I love the size, weight, mag capacity, sight radius, same trigger pull for every shot, etc. This is the perfect size 9mm for me. When shooting it for real or dry firing, I find pulling the trigger straight through that brick wall of resistance gives me better results vs taking in the slack, hitting the brick wall and then pulling through. I've read about 3.5# connectors and what not, but have never personally tried any of these "parts" combinations. Any recommendations on reducing that staple gun feel on the Glock trigger and any way to reduce that brick wall in the trigger pull? Or does this mean I have to find a new gun to fill that compact high capacity 9mm that I love so much. Please keep in mind, I live in NJ, so any gun recommendations have to have a max of 15 rounds in the mag.

dwatts47
August 30, 2007, 10:17 PM
Having 4 Glocks, I feel qualified to answer this. On my first G17 trigger job, I put in a titanium safty plunger ($30) and took a cotton polishing wheel from a dremel tool to polish all the contacting trigger components. (the complete glock reference guide will show where to polish)

On the second I put in the 3.5 pound connector, which in my second gen 17 equaled 6.4 pounds on a lyman digital trigger pull gauge.

On the 3rd I had a gunsmith polish the whole works and install the NY-1 trigger spring which equaled a smooth but heavy 8.7 pounds

The third I left in the the stock connector, and shot it until it felt like the the second gun.

The fourth is a stock model 27, that seems smoother out of the box than the others after a trigger job. I have numberous high dollar pistols (sigs, hk's, walthers, and a wilson combat) but I shoot my best with the above glocks.
Granted I get my jolly's from center of mass shots at speed rather than 25 yrd groups. For me the grip made the difference not the trigger pull.

Try this: Grip your pistol with your strong hand, as high on the gun as you can... make sure your "flip off" finger is getting "glock knuckle" from the bottom of the trigger guard. Next wrap your weak hand under the trigger gaurd, and strong hand fingers,with your thumb just ahead of the takedown lever ( like you're holding a newborn baby's head in your palm) Place your strong hand thumb on top of your weak hand in the hollow spot just behind your thumb. this will prevent that thumb from riding the slide stop lever. Keep both arms straight, both eyes open and look over the top of your front sight instead of thru the back sight. It's won a match for me , but might not work for you. Let me know.

rauchman
August 30, 2007, 10:37 PM
Excellent info. Thanks!!! One thing I like about the G19 is that controlled pairs seem to be easier on this pistol than any other I've tried. Strange since I find this gun the hardest to shoot for slow fire accuracy. I've actually been using the grip you mention. I call it two thumbs up. My shooting buddy recently had me try a variant of that grip where the strong hand thumb is wrapping around the grip (tip of thumb is near mag release), and then using weak hand over strong hand thumb with weak hand thumb running along the frame near where it meets the slide. This has helped a bit. Also, I'm not running the thumb on the slide release. Interesting about looking over the top of the front sight vs. looking through the rear sights. I'll be trying that one out the next time I'm at the range.

You mention with the 3.5lb connector it brought the actual trigger pull down to 6.4lbs. How does that trigger weight compare to doing the smoothing out process with the dremel?

dwatts47
August 30, 2007, 11:01 PM
The smoothing with the dremel makes it feel the same as a the 3.5 pound connector, just with a slightly firmer break.

See, combat masters have said that a light trigger is just a tool that the unskilled shooter uses to look better than he is. I'll go with that to an extent. The 3.5 connector makes the average shooter forget about that DAO is supposedly "hard to shoot" and makes them focus on just shooting.
I believe its more mental than physical.

If you put two factory new guns side by side, one with a 3.5 connector unmodified the other with a stock connector, with the action polished... you'd be hard pressed to feel a real difference.

I'm sure someone out there is goint to tell me that I'm doing something wrong to get a 6 + pound pull with the 3.5 connector, but that's just how it came out on my gun. Most people don't realize that in order to really drop the pull lower than 4.9 or so, you'd need to install a weaker firing pin spring as this is what your trigger bar is pulling against in the last 1/3 of the travel before discharge.

railroader
August 30, 2007, 11:38 PM
I recently bought a new glock 17 and I have to agree on the trigger. Compared to my other guns it kinda sucked. I was having trouble shooting groups too. Here's how to do a trigger polish job. http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/ While you have it apart install a Lone Wolf 3.5 connector. This will help the trigger alot. I also tried a lighter striker spring but I'm starting to get light primer hits so I'm going back to the stock spring. Mark

dwatts47
August 31, 2007, 12:08 AM
I'm with you, Railroader. I'll take a heavier pull to ensure my gun goes bang everytime.

Officer's Match
August 31, 2007, 12:15 AM
My 23 has a Glock 3.5# connector and a fair amount of rounds fired - I'm very pleased with it. And this is coming from a predominantly 1911-shooter.

big shot
August 31, 2007, 12:16 AM
I had a glock 35 for a while which came stock with the 3.5 pound connector. Ended up having to sell it due to money problems but can say that I definitely shot better with it than I can with the glock 22 I current own and I attribute that largely to the lighter trigger.

I'm not sure if simply installing a 3.5 pound connector is all you need to do to get that lighter trigger but it seems to be one of the main things.

I also used the dremel tool polishing technique on an early model Sigma (which has basically the same trigger set up as the glock) and can attest that it will smooth up the trigger and at least give the impression of a lighter pull.

Officer's Match
September 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
I really with Glock would "34/35" a 10mm.