PDA

View Full Version : I'd like a consencis, if possible of favorite gun cleaning products and types, please

daddySEAL
August 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
I know there are LOTS of different brands and products for various cleaning and lubrication out there. And everyone has a favorite.

Could everyone tell what has been their best performing and easiest types in clean and lubing? I'm very anxious to hear about them....AND WHY you like them so much OVER OTHERS, please?

And does anyone besides me use Bore Conditioners, also?

Thank you.

JWT
August 30, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hoppes No. 9 - I soak choke tubes in it and the burned on plastic from the wads comes right off. Then I filter the solvent through a coffee filter, pour it into the bottle and re-use it.

MPro7 - I use it for cleaning the barrel and all other parts of my guns. I like it better than Hoppes No. 9 for this because it is not flamable and doesn't have the odor.

Lead Free Cloth - use to clean the cylinder face on stainless revolver. Also sometimes use to remove lead from barrels.

Tom2
August 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
The latest product I have tried for gun cleaning is Gunzilla. I got it on a whim because the description of the product was so radical and unusual, being a nontoxic petrol free product with little or no odor. Tried it for curiosity. It seems to clean real good and I don't get powerful smells or oily stinky hands now so I have stuck with it lately, leaving my poor bottles of Hoppes, GI cleaner, Shooters Choice, etc. to collect dust. But they all work I guess. Ever notice even when you wash your hands that the Hoppes has soaked into your pores and your hands still smell like it? Makes me nervous handling food afterwards.

kristop64089
August 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
I use hoppes 9 for cleaning, and for lube and wipe downs I use G96, it has a pleasent odor, and also cleans very well(i like it better than a silicone rag)

shorty70
August 30, 2007, 07:11 PM
Hoppes here, since 1970...and I love the smell !!

Starsky
August 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
Shooters Choice

Shane Tuttle
August 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
Eezox for all of my cleaning needs. The only exception is I used Hoppe's #9 for the barrel. Hoppe's benchrest 9 or Sweets 7.62 for cleaning out copper fouling only when needed.

I've found Eezox to be the best for me. All you do is degrease your gun, apply a thin coat of it all over your gun. I let it sit overnight or several hours. Wipe off the excess and reassemble. Even though you won't see it, it's there for corrosion and metal to metal contact protection. When you come back from the range, all I do is use a small amount on a lintfree cloth to clean my firearms. It cleans, not just covers up the dirt, grime, etc. Also, since you've already seasoned the gun, you don't have to let it set in for several hours.

I can't believe the protection it provides and the cleaning times are cut way down. That in itself is worth it.

This has been my experience. It, by no means is the end all be all. There are quite a few products out there that are of sound quality. The list would be easier to give that I would do whatever it takes to stay away from...

CGSteve8718
August 30, 2007, 08:11 PM
Otis cleaning system 4/5

WHY: It is truly the most versatile cleaning system out there. Follow the instructions carefully, and their patches and cable system allows you to clean virtually every weapon system you have. It only gets 4 out of 5 stars from me because they make two claims that are not entirely true or don't work as well. They say you can get six uses out of each patch, but in reality 4 is the most I've ever gotten. Still, that tops traditional patches by a longshot.

Secondly, they advertise that their all caliber patches are "all caliber", but in reality, it is really difficult to use the 3" panoply patch in tiny barrels like .22s or smaller. It can be done, but you run the risk of either the patch getting stuck if you made it too big, or it falling off inside the barrel, in which case you'll need traditional cleaning rods to punch them out.

Their patches are circular rather than square shaped like most traditional patches making them great to wrap around an AP brush or bore brush to clean more open areas on your guns.

The only thing you'll really need to add to a Otis kit would be more bore brushes for whatever calibers you have, as the kits only come with brushes for the standard NATO calibers. This is not a problem to use with the cables, the kits comes with a thread adapter for you to fit whatever size attachment you need onto it.

I don't have many guns, but using Otis, I only use 2 types of patches to clean 9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 5.56x45, .22LR, and 12 GA. Only word of warning is that you watch the video they provide, and read the manuals and follow the instructions carefully. Getting the patches stuck or fall out in the barrels is a real pain.

And no, I don't work for them. :D

nate45
August 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
I use CorrosionX for everything even cleaning the barrels of my muzzle loaders.

I just get the large spray bottle the CorrosionX for guns is the same stuff.

Eezox is also very good and may be better for long term storage rust prevention.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

restlessnomad
August 30, 2007, 08:29 PM
The latest product I have tried for gun cleaning is Gunzilla. I got it on a whim because the description of the product was so radical and unusual, being a nontoxic petrol free product with little or no odor. Tried it for curiosity. It seems to clean real good and I don't get powerful smells or oily stinky hands now so I have stuck with it lately, leaving my poor bottles of Hoppes, GI cleaner, Shooters Choice, etc. to collect dust. But they all work I guess. Ever notice even when you wash your hands that the Hoppes has soaked into your pores and your hands still smell like it? Makes me nervous handling food afterwards.

You can always use latex gloves, or the equivalent if your allergic. Their pretty cheap too!

murphjup
August 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
Eezox... and Weapon Shield...

Plus Eezox smells great...lol

:)

Ozzieman
August 30, 2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.sinclairintl.com/

The cleaning rods that they sell are hard to beat. Go look at there on line catalog and be ready to spend:)

Ocraknife
August 30, 2007, 09:46 PM
I like hoppes elite stuff, non toxic low odor and cleans well.

CGSteve8718
August 30, 2007, 10:28 PM
Kano Kroil

WHY: This stuff is a powerful petroleum based oil that cleans tougher than most other solvents with less effort. According to their info, it wasn't designed specifically for guns but machine parts and metals in general. If you come out with a white patch using something else, put Kano down and it will get what the other stuff missed. I don't use this on everything, only tougher jobs.

A big drawback is its potency making it have an awful smell. It's powerful stuff and says right on the can the vapors can be harmful. Be careful with it. For more reviews, read it on Midway's site. I bought it to try it out based on those reviews, and I haven't been disappointed. And as far as I know, I don't think it received a single negative review.

Tanzer
August 30, 2007, 10:31 PM
I clean with Hoppes 9, then coat with Eezox. A little anal, but it sure is nice.

rgates
August 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
Weapon Shield is the best I've used yet. Pitched everything else. Even Hoppes and the useless foaming stuff. Kept the Sweets for my one rifle that gets real heavy copper buildup.

Weapon Shield cleans better than about anything else I've tried. Lubricates so well the actions and triggers feel totally different (much lighter and easier). After it's been used on a gun a couple times, cleaning is even easier. No stink. I don't even turn on the exhaust fan anymore while cleaning and the wife still doesn't complain.

STAGE 2
August 31, 2007, 12:53 AM
Hoppes for general cleaning, Gunslick foaming bore cleaner for copper and grimey buildup. FP-10 for lube, bar none the best lube out there.

Wildalaska
August 31, 2007, 01:15 AM
OK here is the take of an old guy.

My earliest smell memory is of Hoppes #9. Thats all we used in the glory days of gun yesteryear, Dad said it worked better than the stuff in the green cans he got from the Army. Oil was that stuff in the red and white little can....

I don't think I used anything but Hoppes #9 for bore cleaning until I added Shooters Choice (or some type of amonia stuff) to my cleaning arsenal when I bought a Steyr SSG -69 in 1971 or 1972. The semis always got GI bore cleaner (in a parts washer or bucket). Jags and brushes were always Hoppes.....rods....whatever GI....I also used the Otis Kits when they came out...patches were bulk GI...later in the 80s went to Sweets

Now of course I get to use them all...I get samples of everything, and although we dont stock lots of chemicals (why compete with Sportsman right down the street) I gravitate to the following:

Initial cleaner Hoppes and Gunk Out alternating on Patches. Fouling is Sweets. Patches are whatever. Jags, brushes and rods are Pro Shot. Lube? Something teflon

One thing I love about the Blaser is how easy it is to clean...you have the barrel off...and it also fouls less than ANY rifle I have EVER owned in my life. I mean in 50 rounds TWO swipes with Sweets takes out the blue-green!!

Now my Swedes, especially my 41B (1910 made) foul up like an Idaho Senator in an airport, but you can shoot them all day long without accuracy being degraded....

Buy whatever ya like, it's all elbow grease anyway ;)

WildthesweetsmellofhoppesAlaska TM

Zesty
August 31, 2007, 02:34 AM
I do basically the same as Tutle8 with the Eezox except I also use some RIG universal grease on the sliding parts of my semi-autos and pump shotguns. All based on the wonderful advice here of course!

snail
August 31, 2007, 06:06 AM
Shooter's choice solvent, followed with Hoppes oil, and just a wee bit of Shooter's choice grease on the slide.

Cremon
August 31, 2007, 06:23 AM
Hoppes #9. I push a wet patch through the barrel, and wipe everywhere else I can with another one, and do detailed cleaning with Q-tips dipped in it. When all the powder is gone, I wipe with dry patches and push some through the bore until one comes out clean. Then oil and reassemble followed by a surface wipe down and I put them away.

I sort of zone out when I am cleaning my guns. It's very relaxing for me and its a good way to wind down at the end of the day.

carpfisher
August 31, 2007, 06:27 AM
Are you kidding!! A consensus on this website. Maybe in your dreams!!:D

I like Shooter's Choice for getting the wads and lead bullet residue. Followed up by CLP.

G

Magyar
August 31, 2007, 06:46 AM
I agree with all the above. I have also become a firm believer of grease over oil on the rails and on all contact/moving metal parts...Bad experiences led me to this conclusion....Rig +P or any grease will do....:)

rantingredneck
August 31, 2007, 07:51 AM
I've used Hoppe's products (solvent and oil) for a long time, but recently switched to Breakfree Powderblast and CLP.

I use the powderblast on slides and down the bore (DO NOT USE ON POLYMER FRAMES, STOCKS, OR GRIP PANELS) then scrub and use CLP for protectant and lubrication.

I've also started using a grease on rails and other contact points. (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, little white, blue and yellow tube).

JoeHatley
August 31, 2007, 08:29 AM
I've never had a gun that couldn't be cleaned right up with Hoppe's #9. Been using it since 1967.

Joe

PPGMD
August 31, 2007, 09:40 AM
You can always use latex gloves, or the equivalent if your allergic. Their pretty cheap too!

Latex gloves dissolve when exposed to most cleaners, you need nitrile gloves around the typical gun cleaners. You can pick up nitrile gloves at Walmart, work great at keeping your hands clean.

P97
August 31, 2007, 10:02 AM
I have used Eezox for over two years and love it. My safe guns that aren't used much I spray every 3-6 months. My CCW I spray once a month in summer and every 3 months in the winter. After each shooting I just drag a Boresnake through it with a little Eezox on it. No rust and my new guns look new, and the old ones look like they did when I started using it. Works great for me. :)

daddySEAL
August 31, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys, please keep your favorites coming.
I know Hoppes is the old favorite(and good), but i'm looking for new ideas.

AGAIN, does ANYONE use a BORE CONDITIONING product, as I have, please?
(After cleaning)

CGSteve8718
August 31, 2007, 12:00 PM
I use the powderblast on slides and down the bore (DO NOT USE ON POLYMER FRAMES, STOCKS, OR GRIP PANELS) then scrub and use CLP for protectant and lubrication.

What happened when you did so? I sprayed the frame of my Glock down with Powder Blast and there were no adverse effects.

BigJimP
August 31, 2007, 03:21 PM
Shooters choice choke tube cleaner / lube with Break Free on all of my guns. I'll occasionally use some Barnes CR10 to get copper fouling out of the barrel.

I used Hoppes #9 for years - and Shooters Choice has done a much better job for me.

Ilovea45
August 31, 2007, 04:42 PM
I use MPro-7 Cleaner and Lubricant (no odor), but I have used Hoppes with good results also.

GK

Average Joe
August 31, 2007, 05:38 PM
I use CLP, but you could go insane with all the stuff in the gun cleaning isle at your local gun store.

prscustom
August 31, 2007, 06:29 PM
it does not seem difficult to find cleaners for metal parts, but what do folks use on there poly guns?

BigJimP
August 31, 2007, 06:30 PM
No, I don't use any bore conditioners.

Shane Tuttle
August 31, 2007, 09:53 PM
I do admit:

I like to use Tetra Gun Grease on the slides. However, it's a very small amount. A little goes a long way with this stuff, too. I don't think it's necessary over the Eezox, but it's peace of mind for me.

Is this what you're talking about Redneck?

rantingredneck
August 31, 2007, 10:06 PM
What happened when you did so? I sprayed the frame of my Glock down with Powder Blast and there were no adverse effects.

I've never done it personally but I've heard from other people that Powderblast can discolor some polymers. It also says that you shouldn't use it on polymers on the can. It's made to disolve plastic wad residue so it isn't real good for plastics in general.

I use it only on the metal parts and then use CLP on everything, polymers too.

Got your PM Tuttle. That's the same stuff I use. Couldn't remember the name of it earlier to save my life, but I knew it had something to do with tropical fish. :)

rantingredneck
August 31, 2007, 10:07 PM
And you're right, a little dab will do.

Works good on muzzleloader breechplugs and shotgun choke threads too.

What Just Happened?
September 1, 2007, 01:58 AM
I use CLP, mostly because I'm a lazy son-of-a-gun.

Gunner69
September 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
+3 for Weapon Shield

I just got my free sample from George applied a quick coat to my guns before we went out shooting on Monday I've never had it so easy cleaning after a shoot... probalby put a MIN of 500 rounds through each of my guns and other than my FAL which had some really crappy russian surplus through it even the barrels were almsot completely clean after just a couple of patches...

Detachment Charlie
September 1, 2007, 12:47 PM
Use Nitril gloves. Brush the barrel (single piece rods). Swab w/ Hoppes #9. Let it sit while I use brake cleaner of the slides of the 1911s, XD45 and AR bolt innards, chamber & muzzle brake. Swab out the barrells till clean. the a wet patch of CLP. Spray eveything else with CLP (dental picks & Q-tips)& wipe off the crud. A little FP-10 on slide rails & AR bolt carrier & innards.
Miller Time.:D